This is a walk around the parts of Totley we left out of our leaflet. It is to be developed, tested, measured. The walk starts from and ends at the Library
A version of the walk is available in PDF format for home printing.
Comments, corrections and suggestions are most welcome to:
This is a walk around New Totley, Green Oak and that part of Totley Rise that lies within the traditional boundaries of Totley township. The walk starts and ends at Totley Library, 205 Baslow Road, S17 4DT, about 6 miles southwest of Sheffield on the A621 and a stopping point on bus route 97 from the city centre. Click here for the current timetable.
1. Totley Library Baslow Road, south side
Totley Library moved here in 1964 from the building next to Tesco Express, Baslow Road (in Dore) which had been converted from an electricity showroom and offices in 1939. The new library was built on land that had been owned by George Pearson & Sons, nurserymen and market gardeners, who constructed two large glasshouses for their business which became known as Heatherfield Nurseries.
Follow the footpath away from Baslow Road down to Lemont Road, turn left and cross the road. After passing Mona Villas, enter the park.
2. Green Oak Recreation Ground off Lemont Road, south side
The Recreation Ground was opened by Mrs Sarah Milner, of Totley Hall, on 23 March 1929 on two pieces of land sold to Norton Rural District Council by John Thomas Carr, a retired farmer and butcher, for the sum of £1,550. The sale also included a small plot of land and buildings on the south side of Lemont Road for access. To the west was Pearsons' nursery and to the south and east Colin Thompson's farm land. The bowling green was constructed in 1956 and opened the following year.
Leave by the small gate at the opposite end of the park, beyond the children's playground. Bear right through the cul-de-sac on to Green Oak Avenue. Turn left and walk a short distance down to the cross roads of Green Oak Road and Aldam Way.
3. The Last Prefabs (site of) Green Oak Road, south side
Prefabs (prefabricated bungalows) were a quick-fix remedy for housing shortages between and after the two World Wars. The Totley prefabs were probably of an American design and, as these structures went, were of a high standard, particularly the fittings, bathrooms and floors. Built mainly during 1945, they were neatly laid out on paths and covered much of the area that is now the upper part of Green Oak Road, Green Oak Avenue and Aldam Way. They were never intended to last as long as they did - the last prefabs being demolished in the early 1970s.
Turn left down Green Oak Road and second right into Aldam Road. Cross the road and after a short distance turn left at the public footpath sign. Ignoring the main path to your right which leads towards Gillfield Wood, carry on past the Scout Hut, across a small wooden footbridge over the Totley Brook and up a short but steep bank on to the lane. Turn right and walk a short distance to the next farm gate on your left at the top of the rise.
4. Woodthorpe Hall Drive & St. George's Farm off Mickley Lane, west side
The lane up to Woodthorpe Hall has been known by various names including White(s) Drive or Lane. There is a view across the field to the rear of the farm which is just over the Totley boundary into Dronfield (see inset). The 13 acre farm was referred to by a variety of names before it was bought by the Guild of St George in 1877. The Guild had been established in 1871 by the artist, writer and social thinker John Ruskin who had a Utopian vision of creating a place of beauty and peace, working the land as a model orchard and botanical garden without modern machinery whilst encouraging traditional crafts. The land was first used as allotments and later as a land colony but by 1880 the venture had foundered. The farm was taken over at first by Ruskin's own head gardener whose attempts to grow strawberries, currents and gooseberries also failed. In 1889 George Pearson took over the farm at first as a tenant. In the 1920s, when the Guild was divesting itself of its smaller holdings, Pearson was offered and bought the farm outright. The family business has flourished ever since.
Retrace your steps along the lane and turn right over the stile before the allotments and up the path to the exit via the car park at the top of the field.
5. Mickley Hall Mickley Lane, east side
Mickley Hall, as it is now called, was purpose-built in 1867-68 for the Cherrytree Orphanage which had been founded in Sheffield by the Rev. Edward Ridge Taylor, a former army chaplain, three years before Dr. Barnado formed his home in London. So great was the demand for places that the Orphanage moved to larger premises firstly in Highfield and then in Totley. In April 1868, the property was transferred to a board of 22 trustees which included George Bassett and Thomas Cole (Cole Brothers) as an institution to receive poor children whose parents had died in order to receive board, clothing, education and religious instruction. Children were given the chance to learn a trade and introduced to new homes.
Approval was given by the trustees in October 1964 to sell the Cherrytree buildings to the Cheshire Foundation, a disability charity named after Group Captain Leonard Cheshire, for £12,000 plus £500 towards the cost of roads, if needed. In 1967 the Sheffield Cheshire Home was formally opened by Her Grace, the Duchess of Devonshire in the building vacated by Cherrytree Childrens Homes. It is Grade II listed.
Descend Mickley Lane on the footpath, taking care as there are some blind corners.
6. Brook Hall Mickley Lane, east side
Brook Hall was built in the early 19th century for Joseph Ward, coal merchant, and bought by Cherrytree Orphanage in 1867 for use on a temporary basis until the larger building on adjacent land could be built. It is now a Grade II listed building. The Coach House and Stable to the rear were built in the same period and are separately listed Grade II.
7. Brook Hall Lodge Mickley Lane, east side
Cherry Tree Lodge as it is now called was built circa 1850 as the lodge to Brook Hall. It is also Grade II listed.
8. Totley Lane Mickley Lane, east side
This old trackway climbs steeply uphill towards Hall Farm and Tinker's Corner in Lower Bradway. Only the very bottom section, below the original course of the Lumb Brook, is in Totley. The brook has been diverted from joining the Totley Brook at the bottom of Queen Victoria Road via a culvert under Mickley Lane.
9. Shepley Spitfire Mickley Lane, west side
The pub was built in 1979 by Hardys & Hansons Brewery of Nottingham. It is named after Pilot Officer Douglas Shepley of Woodthorpe Hall who died in 1940 when his plane was shot down and whose family raised funds to buy a new aircraft. Whilst the Spitfire weather vane remains, the splendid pub sign which incorporated a photo of Douglas has recently been mounted on the wall near the steps up to the entrance.
10. Brook Terrace (site of) Mickley Lane, east side
Brook Terrace (numbers 79-85 Mickley Lane) was built around 1888 on the other side of the road, between Glover Road and the Totley Brook. Harry Brearley (1871-1948), the inventor of stainless steel, moved into the end house nearest Glover Road in 1895. He was still living there at the time of the census six years later but by 1910 he had moved to Old Whittington, Chesterfield. The terrace was demolished around 1956.
Turn right into Laverdene Avenue.
11. Old Ford & The Chemical Yard (site of) off Laverdene Avenue, east side
Back Lane used to run from Bricky Row across a ford over Totley Brook to an upper section leading up to Queen Victoria Road. The footbridge is close to where the old ford was and the cobbles can still be seen when water levels are low. On the Bradway side was the Chemical Yard where Tinker & Siddall first manufactured chemicals in the 1840s. By 1857 Tinker & Co had extensive chemical works there and by 1889 Thomas Kilner was manufacturing pyroliginous acid, naptha and charcoal. The area was later used for various purposes including a blacksmiths, the Brookvale Laundry and C J Marcroft's builders yard.
Continue along Laverdene Avenue which bends to the right, cross to the left of the road and then follow the footpath to the left of the high wall. Turn left at Glen Rose, up the hill to the corner of Back Lane and Glover Road. Walk down the lay-by in front of the shops.
12. Bricky Row Baslow Road, southeast side
Very little has been written about the early years of the Totley Rise shopping crescent (15-71 Baslow Road) beyond that it was originally a row of houses built circa 1888 to provide accommodation for the navvies who built the Totley Tunnel. New research suggests, however, that the houses may not have been built all at the same time and that most of the row was in existence before 1881. Whilst a few shops date from around 1888, such as Colin Thompson's butchers, the conversion of the upper part of the terrace to shops and businesses came later. The top section of the row was owned by a brewery and it was intended to build a hotel on the corner by Back Lane. When an application for a drinks licence was declined, the property was subdivided and converted into shops. More research is needed.
13. Rolling Mill Pond (site of) Mill Dale Road
The Rolling Mill pond was at the back of Bricky Row, where the extension to Laverdene Avenue is now, widening out at the bottom of the Rise and taking in most of what is now Mill Dale Road. The mill was fed by the Totley Brook but, in addition, there was a massive stone weir near the present Methodist Church which diverted the Oldhay Brook into the pond when necessary. The weir was dismantled in 1933, the dam wall having been removed in 1920. It is said that the stone was taken to Millhouses and re-used to build a tea-room extension to the Waggon & Horses.
Continue down Baslow Road and turn right at path in front of the small triangular green into Mill Lane.
14. Rolling Mill Cottages Mill Lane, west side
There was a complex of buildings at the northern end of the mill pond including these terraced cottages which were built for the mill workers and the cottage on the other side of Mill Lane which was the mill manager's house. It is not known when the first mill was built but in 1615 the Gill family had a lead smelting mill here. By 1750 part of the mill was converted to a grinding wheel and by 1780 a lead rolling mill was in operation. In 1836 John Dyson bought the mill for steel-rolling. He had a grinding wheel, 4 troughs, smelting furnace, brickyard, kiln and blacksmiths shop here as well as gardens, a wood and the dam. By 1872 William Tyzack & Sons were operating as steel rollers and they also made scythes and sickles here. Ebenezer Hall, of Abbeydale Hall, bought the mill in 1881 and production ceased a few years later.
Continue to the end of Mill Lane and on to a very narrow footpath between the high garden fences of Poynton Water on your left and Mill Cottage on your right towards a small footbridge.
15. Source of the River Sheaf off Mill Lane, west side
The footbridge at the end of Mill Lane crosses the Totley Brook close to its confluence with the Oldhay Brook to form the River Sheaf. Barely visible now that a high fence has been constructed, admittedly, but in the picture we can see three parishes: Totley is on the front left, Bradway on the front right and Dore at the back, where the Electricity Station stands.
Now retrace your steps up Mill Lane and turn right in front of the triangular green and cross Baslow Road at the crossing point opposite Grove Road. Turn left past the Totley Rise Methodist Church.
16. Boundary Bridge Milestone Baslow Road, west side
The road sign would have you believe that you enter Totley at the railway bridge, but the traditional boundary is the bridge over the Oldhay Brook. The inscription on the north wall reads "Bakewell 15 Miles - Parish of Totley - Parish of Dore - Sheffield 5 Miles". The Totley Rise Methodist Church is in Dore, of course.
Continue up the hill and re-cross Baslow Road at the traffic lights. Turn right past the Vets and continue up to the last of the large houses.
17. The Queen's Temperance Hotel & Victoria Gardens (site of) Baslow Road, south side
Numbers 85 (the dental practice) and 87 Baslow Road were once one establishment that has been used as a hotel and gentlemen's club. It was called the Queen's Temperance Hotel in 1891, the Abbeydale Club in 1900 and later the King's Arms Hotel. The single-storey extension by the side of number 87, refurbished in the 1990s, was used as a hotel bar.
Behind this building the Victoria Gardens stretched as far as Mickley Lane and the Totley Brook. Victoria Gardens was opened on Whit Monday in 1883 by Alderman Joseph Mountain to rival Belle Vue in Manchester. It had a ballroom, refreshments room, menagerie, sports grounds and even a boating lake. Although very popular at first by 1887 it had failed. This is usually attributed to its inability to obtain a drinks licence. Shortly after it closed, the pavilion was used for a few months as a smallpox convalescent unit. The gardens reopened during the building of the Totley Tunnel before finally closing in 1894.
Turn left at the blocked off road (Laverdene Road) and down to the junction with Mickley Lane. Cross the road and turn right to the next corner.
18. Lemont Road
When they were built, the fine terraced houses on Lemont Road would have been surrounded by fields and uninterrupted views up to Baslow Road and down to the Totley Brook. Hawthorn Cottages on the corner of Mickley Lane are dated 1876, although Lemont Road was not shown in the survey map of that year. The area was then known as Green Oak; the first use of the name Lemont appears to be in about 1907.
Proceed up Mickley Lane to the grass verge at the corner with Baslow Road.
19. St John's Church Parish Boundary Baslow Road, south side
The stone at the junction of Mickley Lane and Baslow Road marks the western boundary of the Parish of St John the Evangelist, Abbeydale. It is inscribed "St. JC 1877 No.2"
Cross to the opposite side of Baslow Road.
20. Greenoak Inn Baslow Road, north side
The Greenoak Inn was built in 1812 to take advantage of the new turnpike which came up Mickley Lane and on through Owler Bar to Stoney Middleton. Shortly afterwards the turnpike road to Sheffield via Abbeydale was built. A toll bar stood higher up Baslow Road before what is now the Roman Catholic Church. Like the Cross Scythes, the publicans were also farmers. The inn is thought to have been closed about 1850 and the property became a family residence set in its own grounds. The oldest part is in the middle of the block where the two shops are. It was extended to the right (Rosies) when it became a house and to the left in the 20th century.
Walk a short distance up Baslow Road and turn the corner into The Crescent.
21. Church of the English Martyrs Baslow Road, north side
Built in 1964, the Church of the English Martyrs is the first Roman Catholic Church in Totley. Before that, services were held in a room in The Cross Scythes Hotel. There used to be an old well pump dating back to at least 1896 which stood close to the wall near the bus stop until it was demolished in a traffic accident.
Go straight across the next crossroads to the end of Terrey Road and turn right at the large monkey puzzle tree into The Quadrant. On the left, behind the second of two large square shrubs is a narrow entrance to a public footpath whose sign is often obscured .
22. Akley Bank off The Quadrant, north side
Akley means 'Oak Clearing' and records of an oak wood hereabouts go back at least as far as 1561. The path is over 700 years old; it went from Beauchief Abbey to sheep pastures at Strawberry Lea. In the 16th century the wood was used by the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury to fuel his lead mill further upstream at Old Hay.
From Akley Bank retrace your footsteps as far as the first crossroads. Turn right into The Quadrant which soon becomes The Grove and left into and through the The Green back to Baslow Road. Turn right.
23. Totley Grange (site of) Baslow Road, north side
Totley Grange was built in 1875 on land bought by Ebenezer Hall. From 1891 it was lived in by Thomas Earnshaw, a fish and game dealer from Sheffield and became known as 'Fish Villa'. During World War II it was used as a production depot of J G Graves Ltd Wireless Factory making the wiring for a variety of aircraft including Wellington and Lancaster bombers. The Grange was demolished in 1965 making way for the estate built by Wimpeys. What remains are a few high walls, the summer house at the rear of a house on Totley Grange Road and this gatepier which stood close to the main drive and lodge.
Return to the Library down Baslow Road.
A section of the walk alongside the Oldhay Brook beneath Akley Bank has had to be omitted as access to this private land belonging to the owner of Totley Grove has been recently withdrawn after at least 100 years of free access. Two of Totley's most famous Victorian structures are no longer available to visit.
Brick Aqueduct off Grove Road, south side
When they were building the section of railway line between Totley Tunnel and the Baslow Road bridge, the engineers had to divert the Oldhay Brook below Totley Grove across this fine curved brick viaduct to a straightened and canalised section on the south side of the track before rejoining its original course near the footbridge at the base of Akley Bank.
Totley Tunnel East Portal off Grove Road, south side
By climbing the wall of the brick viaduct (or more easily by holding a camera above the parapet) you can get a glimpse of the eastern portal of the Totley Tunnel, 6230 yards long, opened for freight in 1893 and passengers the following year. It was built by Thomas Oliver & Sons, of Horsham, for the Midland Railway Company and at the time was the second longest railway tunnel in the country, exceeded only by the Severn Tunnel.
In lieu of our monthly library meeting in December, Totley History Group will be supporting the popular annual Spitewinter Concert at Ecclesall Parish Church. The Sheffield Folk Chorale will perform winter songs from across the centuries. With special guests Sarentino Strings. All profits to local charities. The concert will be on Wednesday 13th December beginning at 7.30 p.m. Tickets are priced at £8.25 and are expected to be in great demand. Anyone wishing to go to the concert should contact Pauline Burnett a.s.a.p at:
Our first meeting in the new year will be on Wednesday 24th January when we welcome back Chris Corker whose talk is called The Shell, Armaments and Munitions Production Crisis, 1915-1916. The wartime demand for armaments lead to the Shell Crisis of May 1915. Chris examines the effect that the formation of the Ministry of Munitions, under the guidance of David Lloyd-George, had on Sheffield's armament companies and its industry as a whole.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: