1086 • The manor of Totley, (Totingelei) is described in the Domesday Survey as belonging to one of the King's Thanes. ''In Totingelei, Tolf had IV bovates of land hidable. Land for one plough. It is waste. Wood,pasturable,1mile length, and ½ mile in breadth.T.R.E.val X shillings; now, XII pence.''
1183 • Beauchief Abbey founded by Robert Fitzranulph.
1249 • The White Canons of Beauchief had a sheep grange on Totley Moor Stewberyley (Strawberry Lee). The route from the Abbey to the grange would have passed through Totley.
1536 • Dissolution of Beauchief Abbey. The land was sold to Sir Nicholas Strelley for £223. This included the Grange at Strawberry Lee.
1594 • Rowland Eyre of Hassop was smelting lead at Totley.
1621 • Deeds available for Lower Bents Farm, Penny Lane.
1623 • Totley Hall built. The stone over the entrance is dated 1623. The last private owner was William Aldam Milner, a local magistrate.
1650 • By this time there were three smelting houses and one paper mill in Totley.
1696 • Window Tax imposed.
1783 • There were 21 houses in Totley.
1812 • The Greenoak Inn was built at the top of Mickley Lane. Taking advantage of the new turnpike which came up Mickley Lane and on to Stoney Middleton via Owler Bar.
1818 • Around this date Samuel Hopkinson opened the Cross Scythes pub. He was a farmer and scythe maker and had lived and worked there since the beginning of the 19th century. As with the Greenoak Inn the opportunity arose when the new turnpike was built straight in front of his farmhouse.
1821 • Turnpike road between Sharrow Lane and Totley completed.
1826 • A letter from Sheffield to Totley cost 3d!
1827 • The infant school was opened on Totley Hall Lane. There were 11 boys and 19 girls and one school mistress, Mrs Hannah Wild. The school was erected by D'Ewes Coke Esquire of Totley Hall.
1839 • The Totley Enclosure Act was passed.
1842 • Enclosure of the Commons at Totley.
1844 • Greenoak Tollhouse built.
1848 • Totley Methodist Chapel was built. It was extended in 1898 and closed in 1967. Brian Edwards later converted the derelict chapel into a house.
1850 • By the late 1840's Tinker & Siddall were manufacturing chemicals in Totley. In 1857 Tinker and Co. had an extensive chemical works. In1889 Thomas Kilner was Manufacturing pyroligneous acid, naptha and charcoal. The site is now known as the chemical yard and has since been used as a builders yard, brush factory and a car workshop. It is now a quiet residential area with a few carefully restored cottages.
1867 • Cherrytree Orphanage moved from Highfield to Brook House, Mickley Lane, Totley. Work began on building a new larger orphanage nearby (now a Leonard Cheshire home).
1872 • Dore and Totley station built.
1875 • Totley Grange was built by Ebenezer Hall. Thomas Earnshaw was living there by the 1890s.It was demolished in 1965 to make way for the new Totley Grange estate.
1877 • Totley Church school moved from Totley Hall Lane to it present site on Hillfoot Road.
1883 • Alderman Joseph Mountain opened the Victoria Gardens. This was a pleasure garden of 14 or 15 acres Just above the Totley Rise shops. It catered for the Sheffield tourists and carriage trade who were now using the turnpike road for trips into Derbyshire. Unfortunately the project failed and the gardens closed in 1887.
• Brinkburn Grange built by Thomas B. Matthews. It was demolished in 1938.
1886 • A great snowstorm in February caused chaos .in the district. 40 men worked for days cutting a track through the snow from Owler Bar to the Wooden Pole.
1888 • The Midland Railway Company started work on the Totley Tunnel. This was to establish a direct rail link between Sheffield and Manchester.
• The shops and houses at Totley Rise were built to house the Tunnel navvies. They were known as Bricky Row.
• Smallpox epidemic. Victoria Gardens pavilion was used as a convalescent hospital.
1889 • A temporary building was added to the Church school to accommodate the children of the navvies working on the tunnel. It was replaced by a permanent stone structure in 1939.
1892 • Smallpox epidemic. Affecting mostly navvies working on the tunnel.
1893 • The Totley Tunnel opened for goods trains on 6th November. Passengers were able to use it by May 1894. It is 3 miles 950 yards long and there are 5 air shafts in Totley. The tunnel finishes at Grindleford station.
1896 • Totley Rise Methodist Church opened.
1900 • Almshouses at the bottom of Bushey Wood Road built.
• Totley Rifle Range opened.
1901 • There were 205 houses in Totley and 1000 inhabitants.
1913 • The Dore and Totley United Reformed Church opened on Totley Brook Road. It replaced the 'Tin Tab', an iron building that was moved from Dore station in 1908.
1920 • Totley Parish War Memorial dedicated.
1923 • All Saints Church built on land given by Mr. & Mrs. Milner of Totley Hall. The Chancel is dedicated to their younger son, Sec. Lt. Roy Milner, who was killed in World War I. The Church opened in the following year.
1924 • Dore and Totley High School for Girls opened. The rooms of St John's Church Hall at Abbeydale were used until the school moved to larger premises in Grove Road. It was a private school started by Miss Dorothy A. Trott.
1929 • Green Oak Recreation Ground opened by Mrs. Milner.
1931 • The Totley Rise Methodist Church School for Sunday school children opened at the end of Grove Road.
1933 • Dore and Totley High School moved to Grove Road. The school closed in 1966.
1939 • Totley Branch Library opened in the row of shops at the bottom of Bushey Wood Road. It was in use until the new one opened further up on Baslow Road.
1950 • The estimated population of Totley was 4000 approx.
1951 • The new Totley County Primary school opened on Baslow Road.
1958 • The Old Hay Brook burst its banks causing extensive damage to properties .
1964 • The Church of the English Martyrs built.
1965 • Totley Grange Estate built.
1974 • Totley Branch Library moved to its new location on Baslow Road.
1977 • Totley Independent begins publication.
1979 • The Shepley Spitfire pub is built and named in memory of Pilot Officer Douglas Shepley of Woodthorpe Hall who died in 1940 when his plane was shot down and whose family raised funds to buy a new Spitfire.
1983 • The Pinfold Garden on Hillfoot Lane was completed after five years work.
• Stocks Green Estate was built and the old well moved to Stocks Green Drive.
1999 • Sheffield Polytechnic 11-storey Lowfield Tower Block was demolished at 10.30 am on 12th August.
On Wednesday 27th March, David Bell - The Plague Doctor of Eyam - will be presenting a highly original and entertaining session about the fanciful and often absurd world of 17th century healthcare. The meeting will be in Totley Library, beginning at 7.30 p.m.
On Wednesday 24th April we welcome back David Templeman with a talk about The Great Sheffield Deer Park, which at 2,462 acres and 8 miles in circumference was one of the largest privately owned in the country. David will look at its origins, its buildings, its commercial uses, its magnificent oak trees and walnut avenues and the thousands of deer that roamed the park. The meeting begins at 7.30 p.m. in Totley Library.
On Wednesday, 22nd May we will be holding another of our popular Open Meetings. This time the theme will be The 1950s - the decade of the death of King George VI and the Queen's coronation; the Festival of Britain; the first ascent of Everest; the first sub 4 minute mile; Sputnik 1; Donald Campbell's water-speed records in Bluebird; films with Marlon Brando, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe; television programmes like Dixon of Dock Green, Sportsview, Grandstand and quiz shows with Hughie Green and Michael Miles; lightweight plastics, Formica work surfaces and G-plan furniture; Kenwood Chef food mixers, Prestige pressure cookers; Do-it-yourself products like Black & Decker drills, Polyfilla; and of course popular music including Skiffle and Rock 'n Roll. We will be having displays of photographs of Totley in the 1950s and class photos of Totley County School. Whether you were living in Totley at the time or not please bring along any old photos and memorabilia. The meeting will be held in Totley Library starting at 7.30pm.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: