Maurice Johnson was born in Heeley on 21 August 1892, the son of William Arthur and Frances Emily Johnson. Maurice was one of ten children only five of whom were still alive by the time of the 1911 census. In 1902 the family moved to Totley where William became Marker and Cellarman at the Rifle Range at Lane Head.
Maurice, along with his brother Robert and sister Grace, had formerly been pupils at Lowfield Board School. In 1902 their names were entered into the admissions register of Totley School. Maurice remained there until August 1906 when he left to become an apprentice steel wire drawer.
The Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons was a territorial unit and 'A' Squadron had its headquarters in Sheffield. Maurice's first army number of 2759 indicates that he joined up on 1 January 1914, so he would have been called up immediately on the outbreak of war on 3 August 1914. 'A' Squadron was attached to the 17th (Northern) Division at Winchester and on 16 July 1915 they landed at Le Have in France and took part in the fighting on the Ypres Salient.
In May 1916 the regiment became part of II Corps and fought on the Somme (1916), Ancre (1916), the Somme again (1917) and Ypres (1917).
In November 1917 the regiment was again transferred this time to the Cavalry Corps and then in November 1917 to the Lucknow Cavalry Brigade of the 4th Cavalry Division with whom they faught at the Battle of Cambrai.
In 1918 the regiment was dismounted and converted to a Cyclist Regiment returning to II Corps and fighting at Ypres until the end of the war.
During his time in the Yorkshire Dragoons, Maurice served as batman to Capt. Matt Sheppard who was the subject of the book Sheffield Hero. Sheppard's father had been the proprietor of the Cross Scythes around 1895.
On 11 July 1914, shortly before the regiment's departure to France, Maurice married Annie Stones at Christ Church, Dore. Annie was the eldest daughter of John Stones, the last blacksmith in Dore village whose forge was at the rear of the Devonshire Arms.
In 1915 their first son Gilbert was born and in 1917 a second son Hedley arrived. It is possible that he was named after Maurice's friend Hedley Bishop who was one of the ten Totley men who died in WW1.
After demobilzation in 1919, Maurice returned to his occupation as a wire drawer and the family set up home at 330 Baslow Road, the last of the row of cottages at Lane Head. More sons joined the family, Frank in 1920, Maurice junior in 1924, Robert in 1931 and finally the sixth son John was born in 1935.
Maurice continued to work in the steel industry and by the time WW2 broke out he was employed by the English Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane. He worked long hours during the war but still managed to work his two allotments at the rear of the cottage and the family were never short of fruit or vegetables.
As a young man Maurice was very involved in the community and he was a member of the Totley Cricket Club for whom he was a fine bowler as attested to by Jo Rundle and others. Also in the photograph are Jim Green (back row, 2nd left), Frank Taylor (back row, roll neck sweater) and Sid Andews (front row, seated next to Maurice). Perhaps you can name others or tell us the approximate date of the photograph?.
Later in life, Maurice became a member of the Cross Scythes Bowling Club. Robert Jackson remembers there was a the crown green of irregular shape at the back of The Cross Scythes Hotel and that the players went down two or three steps onto the green, the entrance being guarded by two brown stone recumbent lions. Ivor Lewis said that his grandfather, David Lewis, was instrumental in designing and constructing the bowling green. It was originally turfed with pasture grasses that he had selected from Totley Hall Farm.
His son John says that Maurice was also very politically aware. He retired in 1957 at the age of 65 and died of a heart attack on 1 May 1971. After Maurice's death, Annie moved to 74 Green Oak Road where she lived until her death on 10 April 1987 aged 93.
We have been contacted by Sue Adam who is a volunteer at the Minster Church of St George in Doncaster. Inside the church is a memorial dedicated to the men of the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons who died during the First World War. Earlier this year the Heritage Lottery Fund gave a grant to the Doncaster and District Heritage Association for the restoration of the memorial.
This has now been done and research is being carried out on the men named on the memorial and also the men who attended a service in 1921 when the memorial was dedicated. The team of volunteers intend to have a service of re-dedication in the autumn of 2018 and they would like to contact relatives of the men in order to invite them to the service.
Sue had read our article on Maurice Johnson, who had fought with the Yorkshire Dragoons on the Somme (1916), Ancre (1916), the Somme again (1917) and Ypres (1917). During his time in the regiment, Maurice served as batman to Capt. Matt Sheppard who was the subject of the book Sheffield Hero. Sheppard's father had been the proprietor of the Cross Scythes around 1895. Sue asked whether we had any contact with family members of either of the men.
We were delighted to hear from John Johnson, Maurice's son, who has expressed his interest in supporting the event. As a tribute to his father, John has sent us this lovely photograph of his brother Maurice Junior's wedding as most of the family members are pictured on it. The wedding took place at St. Timothy's Church, Crookes, on 1 September 1951.
Back Row: Bob Johnson (brother), Betty Redfern (brother Gilbert's wife), Gilbert (brother), John Hassall (best man).
Middle row: John Johnson, Annie Johnson (mother), Hedley Johnson (brother), Ellen Johnson (brother Hedley's wife), Maurice Johnson Senior, Doris Richardson (father's sister), Stan Bingham (usher).
Front row: Betty Dickinson, Maurice Johnson Junior (groom), Trixie Bright (bride), Pauline Bright (bride's sister).
Trixie, Pauline and Betty Dickinson all worked for the Blood Transfusion Service. John tells us that apart from himself all the people in the photograph have now passed away.
If any of our readers are in contact with relatives of Capt Sheppard, please advise them that they can get in touch with the Doncaster volunteers through our website at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Wednesday 28th November there will be an Open Meeting when everyone is invited to share memories of local Sports, Social and Community Groups. You may remember that this meeting was postponed in February because of snow. Please bring along any photographs or memorabilia that you may have. The meeting begins at 7.30pm in Dore & Totley United Reformed Church, 28 Totley Brook Road, S17 3QS. Please note this change of venue.
Once again Totley History Group is supporting the popular annual Spitewinter Concert at Ecclesall Parish Church, Ringinglow Road. Joining the Sheffield Folk Chorale are special guests Beshazzar's Feast and Ciaran Boyle. The concert is on Wednesday, 12th December starting at 7.30 p.m., price £10. For tickets and further information, please contact Pauline Burnett by email at: email@example.com
Our first meeting in 2019 will be on Wednesday 23rd January when Hilary Hutson with be our speaker for an illustrated talk on Family History called Dead and Buried: Dore and Totley Ancestry. The meeting will be held in Totley Library, beginning at 7.30pm.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: