Please see War Memorials and Rolls of Honour for the names of local WW1 soldiers and links to other soldier's stories.
John Ainley Bagshaw
John Ainley Bagshaw was born in Heeley on 25 July 1894. His father was Joseph Herbert Bagshaw who was born at Spinkhill, Eckington in 1823, the eighth of ten child born to Joseph Bagshaw, a grocer and provisions dealer, and his wife Jane Healey who married at Littlemoor Chapel, Glossop in August 1852. John's mother was Fanny Ainley who was born in 1868 in Golcar, near Huddersfield, the youngest of four children born to Seth Ainley, a woollen manufacturer and his wife Ann Sykes who married at Slaithwaite on 17 October 1855.
Joseph Herbert Bagshaw became an printer and engraver. After his marriage to Fanny at the Baptist Chapel, Golcar, on 5 October 1893 the couple made their home in Sheffield, where John was born the following year. Sadly he was to be their only child as Fanny died on 28 October 1898. In the 1901 Census Joseph Herbert was living at 80 Ashland Road but young John was in Spinkhill with his father's older sister Mary Hellen and her husband George Hunt who had taken over the family grocery business after the death of John's grandfather.
In the summer of 1901, Joseph Herbert Bagshaw remarried to Edith Peggs, in Tendring district, Essex. Edith had been born in Brightlingsea in 1878, the youngest daughter of Cornelius Peggs, a ship chandler, and his wife Martha Whisson who had married in Lexden in 1866. Joseph and Edith had a daughter, Bessie, born in Sheffield in 1903. Whilst Joseph's business remained at Eyre Street, Sheffield, the family home moved to Springfield, 8 Totley Brook Road. A son, Joseph Rowland, was born there in 1907 and they were still there in 1911 when the Census was taken.
John, now aged 17, was absent from that Census and we have so far been unable to find him. Possibly he was away at college or even abroad - John and two friends gave a lecture and slideshow about Austria to the Union Church Literary Society in December 1913. By that time the Bagshaw family were living at a house on Totley Brook Road they named Wyvenhoe, after the village in Essex. Its number is yet to be traced.
John Ainley Bagshaw enlisted at the start of the war. Like so many others, John's service record has not survived. Brief details recorded on a medal roll index card tell us that he had joined the Royal Army Medical Corps as Private number 178. He was sent to France with the British Expeditionary Force on 15 April 1915 and, having survived the war, was disembodied on 12 April 1919. He was awarded three medals: the 1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
After the war John became a transfer maker for marking steel, we presume in his father's business. On 30 June 1921 he married Ethel Mary Bell, an Inland Revenue clerk, at Ranmoor Wesleyan Chapel, Upper Ranmoor Road. Known as Molly, she had been born in Sheffield on 31 October 1897, the younger daughter of John Edwin Bell, a commercial traveller, and his wife Mary Jollie who married in Sheffield in 1890.
In 1925 John's father Joseph Herbert Bagshaw died in mysterious circumstances. On the morning of 18 October he had been seen walking along Totley Brook Road presumably heading towards the Millhouses tram stop on his way to work but had subsequently gone missing. On 6 October a body was found in Ecclesall Woods which was too decomposed to identify but, from articles on the body, was presumed to be Joseph. A razor in a case and a bloodstained mackintosh were found near the body and Joseph's son John Henry Bagshaw testified that he thought it probable that his father had committed suicide as he had been very depressed and worried about letters he had received recently from the Inland Revenue. However, the coroner was unable to determine the cause of death and so advised the jury to return an open verdict which they duly did.
John and Molly appear to have had three daughters, Sheila in 1924, Joyce in 1927 and Judith in 1932 although the two younger children's records are redacted from the 1939 National Register when
the family were living at 90 Ashdell Road, Broomhill. John Ainley Bagshaw died at home at 10 Canterbury Crescent, Fulwood on 31 October 1957 - his wife's 60th birthday - aged 63. Molly Bagshaw, of 20
Broomgrove Road, Broomhall, died on 20 May 1990, aged 92.
John Cameron Gordon Bardsley and David Crawford Gordon Bardsley
Cameron Bardsley and his younger brother David appear on the Rolls of Honour at both Totley Rise Methodist Church and at Abbeydale St. John the Baptist. David also appears on the Roll of Honour of his employer, Arthur Balfour & Co. Ltd., at Kelham Island, Sheffield.
John Cameron Gordon Bardsley was born in Matlock, Derbyshire in 1893. His father was John Burton Bardsley who was born at Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire in 1862, the second of seven children of Joseph Bardsley, a brush manufacturer, and his wife Elizabeth Burton who married at the Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Ashton on 7 September 1858. Cameron's mother was Janet Gordon who was born in Carlisle, Cumberland in 1862, the eldest of six children of Pastor John Henry Gordon, a Baptist minister, and his Scottish wife Janet Cameron Crawford. It would appear that Cameron's parents met whilst they were both living in Hackney, Middlesex. His father was working as an accountant and his mother as a Board School teacher. They married at the Congregational Church in Darlington, Durham on 1 June 1892.
John and Janet Bardsley made their home at Rockside, located at the "summit" of Matlock Bank. Cameron was born there on 20 April 1893. Rockside Hydro was a pleasure and health establishment that could accommodate about 100 visitors, with baths, tennis courts, bowling greens, billiards rooms, dining rooms etc. and about 70 bedrooms. It had been built in 1862 by Charles Rowland and at first John became Mr Rowland's manager. In December 1893, however, a new company, Rockside Hydropathic Limited, was formed to purchase the hydro from Mr. Rowland and to expand its facilities. John became its managing director whilst Mr. Rowland became a director as well as its main shareholder.
A second son, David Crawford Gordon Bardsley was born at Rockside on 23 September 1894. By 1900, however, the Bardsley family had moved to Dore where Douglas William Gordon Bardsley was born on 7 December. In the census on 31 March 1901, the family were recorded at Glenroyd, 5 Grove Road. John was now the company secretary and chief accountant of Davy Brothers Limited, at their Park Iron Works, Foley Street, Sheffield. A fourth son, Ronald Francis Gordon Bardsley, was born on 22 June 1903. Cameron and David were educated at Dore High School and later at Chesterfield Grammar School. By 1911 the family had moved home to 82 Springfield Road, Millhouses.
Cameron Bardsley attended Sheffield University for six months in each of the years 1910 to 1913 whilst also pursuing an apprenticeship at Davy Brothers in the remainder of each year. He became an graduate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering on 7 July 1914. Later that year Cameron enlisted in the 12th (Sheffield) Battalion of York and Lancaster Regiment and on 15 May 1915 he was promoted from Sergeant to Temporary Second Lieutenant. Shortly after he was appointed the Battalion Signalling Officer. However, Cameron's military service was cut short in June 1916 when he was diagnosed as suffering from the heart condition tachycardia. He was formally discharged from service on 9 October 1916 and presented with Silver War Badge number 2957 on 15 November. By this time his parents had moved back to Totley Rise and were living at Sunnycroft, 2 King Ecgbert Road. Cameron returned to work for Davy Brothers for the remainder of the war.
David Bardsley was on the staff of Arthur Balfour & Co. Ltd. when in August 1914 he enlisted as a Private number 12/34 in the 12th Battalion of the Yorks and Lancashire Regiment. His service record has not survived but we know that he rose quickly to the rank of Lance Corporal and on 29 May 1917 he was discharged to a commission in the South Staffordshire Regiment. Second Lieutenant David Bardsley was awarded the Military Cross in October that year "for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He led the right flank of his brigade in an attack to the exact position of the final objective. He frequently exposed himself to heavy fire to take compass bearings." David was also awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Cameron Bardsley married Edith May Rolley at Christ Church, Dore on 16 June 1921. Edith was the only daughter of James Rolley, a grindstone merchant, and his wife Emily Alice Browne, who had married at St. Mary's Church, Sheffield on 23 September 1869. Two sons, James Edward and Francis had died in infancy. Edith was born on 7 May 1894 when the Rolley family were living at 100 Arundel Street but by 1901 they had moved to Glover Road, Totley Rise. By 1911 they had moved to Thornleigh, 100 Totley Brook Road where they would have been close neighbours of the Bardsleys. Cameron remained assistant outdoor engineer with Davy Brothers until 1925 when he became works manager for Guest and Chrimes Limited at their foundry and brassworks in Rotherham.
It would appear that Cameron and Edith did not have children and did not remain together. In the 1939 National Register, whilst Edith was shown as a poultry farmer at Cricket Hill, near Wokingham, Berkshire, Cameron was at 6 St. Catherine's Court, Acton, Middlesex living with Doris Jennie Irene Marrison, the widow of William Cowie. Cameron and Doris returned to Sheffield sometime after 1947 to live at 54a Wilson Road, Broomhall. Cameron died at the Royal Hospital Annexe, Fulwood on 30 May 1952, aged 59. Doris died in Broomhall on 23 February 1960, aged 62. Edith Bardsley died in Basingstoke on 24 February 1976, aged 81.
David Bardsley gave his occupation as steel manufacturer when he emigrated aboard the SS Baltic which sailed from Liverpool on 5 May 1920 bound for New York. He lived in Boston and later in Quincy, Massachusetts. When, on 5 June 1926, David arrived back in England aboard the SS Montrose he was accompanied by his wife Bertha Madeline Dunbar who had been born in Roxbury, Massachusetts on 13 March 1898. The couple gave their intended address as Sunnybank, the home of David's parents. The stay was a short one as they sailed from Glasgow aboard the SS Metagama bound for Montreal on 27 August. From there they made their way via Newport, Vermont to their home at 149 Farrington Street, Quincy. David was still working for Alfred Balfour as the treasurer of its American subsidiary, Arthur Balfour Steel Company Inc.
David and Bertha were living in New Orleans in 1930 when the US Census was taken. David gave his employment as a salesman for foundry products. They had returned to England by 1937. In 1939 they were living 44 Chatsworth Road and were still there when David died on 5 June 1940, aged 45. They appear to have had no children. Bertha returned to Massachusetts in 1947. She died in March 1968 at Mattapan, aged 69, and was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Dorchester.
Alec Edward Brook
The name of Alec Edward Brook appears on the Rolls of Honour at Totley Rise Methodist Church and also at St. John the Baptist, Abbeydale.
Alec Brook was born in Sheffield on 8 June 1892. His father was Edward Brook who was born in Leeds on 8 June 1861, the eldest child of George Alexander Brook, a publican, and his first wife Harriet Hobson who had married at St. Philip's Church, Leeds on 19 June 1860. Alec's mother was Kate Atkinson who was born in Leeds in 1859, the third of six children of Henry Atkinson, a joiner and builder, and his wife Ellen Backhouse who had married in Leeds in 1855. Alec's father had trained as a school teacher and had moved to Sheffield prior to his marriage on 12 June 1886 at Park Chapel, Leeds.
In the 1901 Census the Brook family were living at Hawthorn Villas, 127 Machon Bank, Nether Edge. Edward had become a commercial traveller for a paper and stationary firm. Sadly, Alec's mother passed away on 6 March 1894 when he was aged two. His father remarried on 23 December 1896 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Tadcaster, to Lizzie Atkinson, the cousin of his first wife. Lizzie was the second daughter of John Atkinson, a joiner, and his second wife Ann Barker who had married at Aberford Parish Church on 4 October 1856.
Alec was educated at King Edward VII School and, by the time of the next Census in 1911, he had become a student at the Civil Engineering Department of Sheffield University. The Brook family had moved to Oak Lea, 26 Chatsworth Road. On 26 July of the following year, Alec embarked at Liverpool on the Empress of Britain bound for St. John, New Brunswick. Whilst in Canada he worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway and also for the Department of Works in Toronto. On his return to England, Alec became employed in the electrical supply department of Sheffield Corporation.
Alec's war service record has not survived but we know that he enlisted in the 12th (Sheffield) Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment. On 12 July 1915 he was granted a commission as Second Lieutenant in the 1st Field Company of the West Riding Division of the Royal Engineers. He was sent to France on 11 January 1917. By the end of the war Alec had risen to the rank of Major. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
On 15 December 1917 at Totley Rise Wesleyan Chapel, Alec married Elsie Marjorie, the elder daughter of Henry William Armstead, a commercial traveller, and his first wife Mary Borthwick Robinson who had married in Middlesbrough in 1893. The Armsteads were living at Totley Brook Road in 1901 but later they moved to Homesdale, Meadow Grove, Totley.
At the end of the war, Alec and Elsie lived at Swing Farm Cottage in Dore village and later at Windyridge, 13 Leyfield Road. A daughter, Margaret, was born in 1921. After the deaths of Alec's parents, Lizzie on 23 August 1932 and Edward on 26 March 1938, they moved into the house in Chatsworth Road. When the National Register was taken on 29 September 1939, Alec's occupation was shown as a chartered structural engineer.
In WW2 Alec became a member of the Home Guard, serving from 14 June 1940 until 31 December 1944. After he retired, he and Elsie moved to 41 Ashleigh Road, Exmouth, Devon. She died at the Nuffield Nursing Home in Exeter on 27 April 1966, aged 71. Alec died at 24a Abbey Road, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire on 5 January 1987, aged 94.
Reginald David Cox and George Percy Cox
Reginald David Cox and his younger brother George Percy appear on the Rolls of Honour at both Totley Rise Methodist Church and Dore & Totley United Reformed Church. Reginald also appears on the Roll of Honour at St. John's the Baptist, Abbeydale.
Reginald was born in Edale, Derbyshire on 15 June 1898. His father was John Cox who was born at Tachbrook, Warwickshire in 1870, the third of ten children of George Cox, an agricultural labourer, and his wife Mary Ann Lane who married at St. George's Parish Church, Newbold Pacey, Warwickshire on 31 Mar 1864. John's mother was Florence Annie Lane who was born on 2 June 1873 in Birmingham, the eldest of nine children born to David Lane, a railway signalman, and Mary Ann Johnson who married on 11 Aug 1872 at St Peters Church, Birmingham. John's parents were first cousins.
By the time he was 20 John Cox was living with his uncle David Lane in Birmingham and like him had become a railwayman. He married David's daughter Florence Annie in West Bromwich district in 1895. The couple were living in Edale in by the time their first child, John Wilfred, was born in 1895. John had progressed from being a vanman to a signalman. The Dore and Chinley Railway had opened to passenger traffic the previous year and John would have been working close to the eastern portal of the Cowburn Tunnel. Their second son Reginald David was born in Edale in 1898 but shortly after the Cox family moved to Sheffield where a third son, George Percy was born on 22 June 1900. The family were living at 37 James Street, close to Darnall Station, when George was baptised on 11 July that year.
In the census on 31 March 1901 the family were still at the same address in Darnall but then moved to 342 Shirland Lane, where sadly John Wilfred died at the age of 7 and was buried in Darnall Cemetery on 24 November 1903. By the beginning of 1905 the Cox family had moved again to Swinton, Rotherham where daughter Florence Louisa was born on 24 January. A second daughter, Hilda Mary, was also born in Swinton on 11 December 1907.
By the time of the 1911 Census, the Cox family had moved again to Poynton Villas, Bradway. These houses stood adjacent to the Twentywell brickyard until they were demolished in 1967. John Cox would have been working at one of Dore & Totley's signal boxes. Reginald and George, aged 12 and 10 respectively were in school but not, it would appear, at Totley.
Both sons were to enlist in the army during the Great War. Reginald's service record has partially survived. We know that he enlisted as a Private in the 85th Training Reserve Battalion and became Private number 44319 in the 1st/8th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. Reginald fought in the Third Battle of the Aisne where his Battalion was literally wiped out - it was to be their last ever battle. Reginald was taken prisoner on the first day of the battle, 27 May 1918, at Pontevert. In all, the Allied Forces had over 50,000 men captured by the enemy in just four days. Reginald was held as a prisoner of war firstly at Laon Camp and later at Dülmen and Diedenhofen. Fortunately, he was not wounded. It is not known when he returned to England. He was later awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
His younger brother George enlisted in Pontefract in October 1918 also into the Durham Light Infantry giving his civilian occupation as a porter. He was assigned army number 110610 and was first transferred to the 5th Battalion. His service record has survived but is badly faded and torn. He was transferred into the 53rd Battalion on 8 February 1919. It then appears that George embarked at Southampton on 6 April 1919 and disembarked at Antwerp two days later. George's Battalion was made up of young soldiers, none of whom had seen active service, and who were sent to Cologne as part of the Army of Occupation in Germany to replace older soldiers desperate for demobilisation. George was posted back to the UK on 22 February 1920 and was demobilized on 24 March that year.
John and Florence Annie Cox were still living at Poynton Villas after the war. John died in 1934 aged 64 and was buried at Abbey Lane Cemetery on 18 June. By 1939 several members of the Cox family were living at Lane Head, Totley: John's widow, Florence Annie at number 324 Baslow Road; daughter Florence Louisa (who had married Sydney Andrews in 1926) at number 328; and daughter Hilda Mary (who had married Walter Higginbottom in 1936) at number 322. Florence Annie later remarried, in Sheffield in 1942, to William James Frederick Overhill, a widower and retired railway signalman. They both died in 1959, she aged 85 and he aged 87.
Both Reginald and George became railwaymen like their father. Reginald married Edith Jaques at the Parish Church, Rawmarsh, Yorkshire on 16 July 1928. He had become a fireman for L.M.S. Railway and was living at Brinsworth, Rotherham. Edith was born in Rawmarsh, Yorkshire on 18 March 1903, the youngest of six children to Tom Jacques, a miner, and his wife Maria France, who had married at the same church on 7 April 1891. Reginald and Edith went on to have three children: Alan in 1930, Enid in 1935 and James in 1937. In the 1939 Register they were living at West Bawtry Road, Rotherham and Reginald had become a railway foreman. He was still at West Bawtry Road at the time of his death on 15 May 1979, aged 80.
George Cox married Freda Pearson Bingham at Wortley, Yorkshire in 1926. Freda was born at Cowley Bar, Holmesfield on 30 November 1903, the only daughter of William Joseph Bingham, a farmer, and his wife Mary Maria Pearson who married at St. Swithin's, Holmesfield on 17 April 1901. George and Freda also had one daughter, Florence, born in 1929. In the 1939 National Register, George and his family were living at 18 Newtown Avenue, Cudworth, Yorkshire and he was employed as a railway foreman. They later moved back to Bradway and were living at 37 Bradway Road at the time of George's death on 2 February 1963, aged 62. Freda died in 1982 in Barnsley aged 79.
Samuel Crookes was born in Ecclesall, Sheffield on 18 March 1896. His father was William Thomas Crookes who was born in Ecclesall on 18 November 1854, the second of four children born to Thomas Crookes, a scythe grinder, and his wife Hannah Makinson who had married at the (Cathedral) Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Sheffield on 11 April 1852. Samuel's mother was Hannah Wint who was born in Dore in 1858, the second of six children of Thomas Wint and his wife Hannah Johnson who married at St. Mary's Church, Wirksworth, Derbyshire on 23 October 1855. Thomas Wint (1836-1901) had many occupations. He was an agricultural labourer, a gardener, and later a cab proprietor at Totley Rise.
Samuel's parents had married in Ecclesall in 1880 and in the census the following year they were living at Whiteley Wood Bottom, Ecclesall. William was a scythe grinder like his father. A first child, Thomas, was born later that year to be followed by Alfred in 1885, William Henry in 1887 and Florence in 1889. In the 1891 Census, the Crookes family are recorded as living at Little Common, where many of the scythe makers working at Tyzack's Abbeydale Works were living. More children followed, Hannah in 1892 and Samuel on 8 March 1896.
Soon after Samuel's birth the family must have moved to Totley Rise. The Totley Church School registers show that three of children, William, Florence and Hannah were admitted in November 1897 having previously been pupils at Abbeydale Board School. A seventh child, Walter, was born in Totley in 1898. Samuel was admitted to Totley Church School on 7 May 1900, when he would have been aged 4. Florence left the school in May 1902, aged almost 13, to go to work but the three other Crookes scholars stayed until the following year when the family left the district.
By the time of the 1911 Census, Samuel was the only one of the surviving six children - Walter having died aged 2 - who was still living at home which was now at Occupation Lane, Hackenthorpe. Hackenthorpe, like Totley, was formerly in Derbyshire but is now in the city of Sheffield. William was employed as a scythe maker at a sickle works, presumably that of Thomas Staniforth & Co. on Main Street. Samuel, aged 15, was a scythe-back maker.
Very little is known about Samuel's military service. We think he enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers and was transferred to the Royal Army Service Corps on 13 October 1917. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal so obviously saw action overseas.
After the War, Samuel married Hilda Margetts of Ward Street, New Tupton at North Wingfield Parish Church on Christmas Eve 1920. Hilda was born in Derby on 26 August 1895, the younger daughter of Arthur George Margetts, a Midland Railway foreman, and his wife Susan Ann Tolliday who had married at South Darley, Derbyshire on 14 May 1893. Samuel and Hilda had four children: Arthur Norman in 1921, Stanley in 1923, Vera in 1927, and Raymond in 1931, all born in the Chesterfield area. Sadly, Raymond died in infancy and Stanley passed away on 4 February 1940, aged just 16.
In the 1939 Register, Samuel and Hilda and their two remaining children were living with Hilda's widowed father at 24 Queen Victoria Road, New Tupton. Samuel was employed as a builder's joiner. Hilda died in 1971 aged 76. Samuel died at 261 Nethermoor Road, Wingerworth, Derbyshire on 20 March 1979 aged 83.
In July 1944 son F/O Arthur Norman Crookes, R.A.F., was awarded the D.F.C. and, in the following month, a bar for his skills as navigator of a Mosquito night fighter responsible for shooting down twelve enemy aircraft. By August 1945, Arthur had been promoted to Flight Lieutenant, had won a second bar and had also been awarded the American D.F.C.
The name of William (Willie) Gee appears on the Totley Rise Methodist Church Roll of Honour alongside that of his cousin Samuel Crookes. Willie Gee was born in Dore on 22 January 1891. His father was William Gee Snr. who was born in Clowne, Derbyshire in 1828, the third of thirteen children of Samuel Gee, a farmer, and his wife Mary Eliza Warrener who married at Sheffield Parish Church on 10 March 1835. Willie's mother was Mary Ellen Wint, who was born in Ecclesall in 1861, the third of six children of Thomas Wint and his wife Hannah Johnson who married at St. Mary's Church, Wirksworth, Derbyshire on 23 October 1855. Thomas Wint (1836-1901) had many occupations. He was an agricultural labourer, a gardener, and later a cab proprietor at Totley Rise.
Willie's parents had married in Sheffield on 14 July 1886. It was William Gee's second marriage, having previously married Elizabeth Brunt at Whitwell, Derbyshire on 31 January 1858 and raised a family of four children before Elizabeth's death in 1881. William had four more children with Mary Ellen, all born in Dore when the family were living at Ashfurlong Cottages and William was working as an agricultural labourer. They were baptised at the Church of St. John the Baptist, Abbeydale: Ellen Gertrude on 24 July 1887, Harry on 27 October 1889, Willie on 15 February 1891, and finally Thomas Wint Gee on 13 November 1892.
The family moved to Totley Rise and both Gertrude and Willie attended Totley Church School, Gertrude being admitted there on 22 June 1896 and Willie on 28 Jun 1897. No dates of leaving are recorded but the admissions register does note that both children had previously been educated privately at Totley Rise. In the Census taken in 1901, the Gee family were living at "20 Wells" in Bradway and William had become a stone mason.
By the time the 1911 Census was taken, the Gees had moved to Birken Lea Villas, Dronfield Woodhouse but Willie had remained behind in Totley Rise living with his Aunt Sophie and Uncle William Wint who was now the proprietor of the family cab business. They lived at Edensor Villas, 25 Chatsworth Road. Willie, aged 20 and still unmarried, was employed as a motor mechanic's assistant, we presume for his uncle's business which operated from outside Dore and Totley Station.
Unfortunately we have been unable to identify Willie's war service record, if indeed it still exists, nor find out what happened to him after the war. His mother, Mary Ellen, appears to have died in 1913 and his father, William Gee Snr., in the following year. Sister Ellen Gertude married William Blunt, a miner, at St. Swithin's Church, Holmesfield on 18 May 1910. In the 1939 National Register, living with the Blunts at 7 Bird Street, Staveley, Derbyshire was Willie's brother Thomas Wint Gee, an incapacitated colliery screen hand. Willie's other brother, Harry, had been cab driver in 1911 but he too has not be traced therafter.
Sidney Revitt Hibbard and Ernest Hibbard
The names of Sydney Revitt Hibbard and his older brother Ernest Hibbard appear on Rolls of Honour at St. John's Church, Abbeydale and at Totley Rise Methodist Church.
Sidney was born in Sheffield on 22 February 1892. His father was John William Hibbard, who was born in Sheffield on 14 August 1857, the eldest of three children of Charles Hibbard, an etcher and gilder, and his first wife Elizabeth Fearn who married at St. George's Church, Sheffield on 18 May 1857. Sidney's mother was Mary Jane Revitt, who was born in Sheffield in 1859, the second of four children of Joseph Revitt, a razor blade forger from Stannington, and his first wife Mary Race who had married at Wortley in 1853.
Sidney's parents were both natives of Sheffield and had met at Sunday School. They married at St Silas Church, Broomhall Street, Sheffield on 25 February 1879. Soon after, the razor manufacturing firm that John worked for was bought by a New York company and he was selected to go to America to teach the art of making cutlery and razors. John and Mary Jane sailed aboard the Algeria to Bridgeport, Connecticut and stayed there twelve months. On their return, John set up his own business. The first of their eight children, Charles Gilbert (known as Gilbert), was born on 17 November 1880. In the Census the following April, the family were living at 82 Randall Street, near Bramall Lane. John is shown as working in the cutlery trade as an etcher and gilder employing three girls. A daughter, Alice, was born on 2 March 1883.
The Hibbards moved home frequently in the next few years as their family expanded. When Annie was born on 25 June 1886 they were at 68 Talbot Street, Park Hill but by the time son Ernest was born on 14 September 1888 they were living at 545 Intake Road. In the Census on 5 April 1891 they were at 390 Intake Road when daughter Mary Race was two months old but sadly she died six months later and was buried on 29 September. The following year Sidney Revitt was born on 22 February. A fourth son, John Arthur, who was born on 19 December 1894 died at aged eight months and was buried on 14 September 1895 when the family were living at 166 Edmund Road, Highfield. Finally, daughter Nellie was born the following summer but she too died in infancy and was buried on 29 July when the family were still at the same address.
By the time of the 1901 Census, John, Mary Jane and their five surviving children were living at 96 City Road. John is listed as an engraver and gilder on cutlery and the three eldest children Gilbert, Alice and Annie are working at the same trade and probably for him. Whilst the family business remained in Sheffield, the Hibbards moved home to South View, 118 Totley Brook Road. On 16 September 1907 Alice married Benjamin Goulson, the youngest son of Benjamin Goulson Snr., a mechanical engineer, at Totley Rise Wesleyan Chapel. Their only child, Ben, was born on 28 May 1909. On 29 March 1910 at the Victoria Wesleyan Church, Gilbert married Lucy Lavinia Frankish. Lucy was born in Sheffield in 1883, the third daughter of Aaron Ogden Frankish, a pocket knife cutler, and his wife Emily Bentley who had married at Parkgate, Rotherham on 24 May 1874.
Sidney was away from home in Ealing, Middlesex for the 1911 census but his two other siblings were still with their parents who were living at 79 Fitzwalter Road, Norfolk Park. Ernest had become a commercial traveller and Annie was a clerk for an incandescent goods merchant. Gilbert and Lucy were living at 145 Alderson Road and he had become a bicycle factor.
When war broke out, Sidney was still living at South View, working as an engraver and gilder and unmarried. He enlisted at Sheffield on 1 November 1915 and was assigned to the 22nd Field Ambulance Unit of the Royal Army Medical Corps. He served on the home front until 23 January 1916 when he was posted overseas with the British Expeditionary Force. He served in Italy until 13 February 1919 when he was repatriated to the UK and demobilized a month later on 13 March. Pte. Sidney Revitt Hibbard, number 77860, was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Sidney married Blanche Needham at Millhouses Wesleyan Church on 25 May 1920. Blanche was born on 15 February 1894, the only daughter of George Needham, a grinder, and his wife Annie Elizabeth Burrows who had married on 22 May 1888 at the (Cathedral) Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Sheffield. Sidney and Blanche had five children: Nancy Mary born in 1922, Charles in 1923, Ernest in 1926, Robert in 1928 and Jean in 1930. In the 1939 National Register the family were living at 81 Marshall Road, Woodseats. Sidney and Blanche were still at the same address when they died, Sidney on 2 August 1972 aged 80 and Blanche on 4 April 1983 aged 89.
Ernest's war service record has not survived. It would appear that he enlisted as Private number 2036 in the 2nd/1st Battalion of the Derbyshire Yeomanry (Territorial Force) on 12 October 1914 and was subsequently posted to the 5th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. He was transferred to the Army Service Corps on 23 November 1917 and discharged because of sickness on 27 February 1919. Ernest served overseas which earned him the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Ernest married Florence Sarah Jarvis at St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, Govan, Glasgow on 17 June 1919. Florence was born on 20 July 1892, the second daughter of Edwin Jarvis, a factory manager, and his wife Margaret of Drumoyne Terrace, Govan. A son John William (Jack) was born in Hull on 26 July 1920 and a daughter, Margaret Alice, was born on 13 November 1930. Ernest was for many years joint managing director of a radio and gramophone business set up with his brother Gilbert. Ernest was responsible for sales and distribution from a site at South Street, Hull. The family lived at Kildonian, 27 Ings Road in 1931 but had moved to Glen Helen, 836 Holderness Road, South Ings by 1939 where Ernest was to remain until his death on 29 January 1952 aged 63. Florence died on 6 September 1983 at 15 Bellfield Avenue, Hull aged 91.
Annie Hibbard married James McPhee at King's Hall, Hull on 9 January 1918, Sadly James was killed in the war. She married again, to William, the son of Robert Russell of Glasgow, at St. John the Baptist, Abbeydale on 29 December 1919. They had two daughters: Dorothy Mary born on 15 October 1920 and Margaret Jessie Alice born on 23 November 1924. In the 1939 National Register, William was a clerk in the City Engineers Office when the family were living at 5 Backmoor Crescent, Norton.
Alice and Benjamin Goulson were also living at Backmoor Crescent in 1939, at number 58. Benjamin was employed as the chief engineer at Rotary newspaper works. He had earlier worked for 35 years as the chief engineer and manager of the machines department at Sheffield Daily Telegraph and Yorkshire Star at Hartshead. Their son Ben was living on the same road too at number 6 with his wife Vera, nee Eggington, whom he married in 1936. Benjamin and Alice later moved to 157 Cobnar Road, Woodseats. Benjamin died on 26 February 1961 aged 78 and Alice died on 11 May 1967 aged 84.
Gilbert and Lucy Hibbard had a daughter, Margaret Mary, who was born on 29 December 1916. They had moved to Holly Bank, 11 Grove Road, Totley Rise. Gilbert had become a successful inventor and businessman. In conjunction with his brother Ernest, he designed, manufactured and sold gramophones and other "talking machines" of increasing sophistication. Gilbert first registered a patent in 1907 but continuous improvements were to follow with further patents for the gramophone's sound amplification chamber, arm, motor lubricating method, starting and stopping devices, needle receptacles, and cabinets with "illuminating devices" and storage for "internal horns" and up to 50 records. The business operated from premises at 75 Arundel Street, Sheffield and South Street, Hull but with authorised agents and service centres in many parts.
On 28 September 1928 a limited company styled "C. Gilbert and Company Ltd" was formed to run the company with Gilbert and Ernest joint managing directors and their father, John, a shareholder. By 1930 the company had more than 150 employees. Gilbert's wife, Lucy, died on 19 August 1930, aged 37, and was buried at Christ Church, Dore three days later. In 1939 Gilbert and daughter Margaret were living at 55 Stumperlowe Crescent Road, Sheffield. Margaret married George Charles Moore in 1941. Gilbert died on 2 March 1958, aged 77, at 14 Whiteley Lane, Fulwood and was buried four days later at Dore in the same grave as his wife.
On 25 February 1939 John and Mary Jane Hibbard celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary. They had moved home to Woodseats and were at 75 Holmhirst Road at the time of their deaths, Mary Jane in July 1943 and John on 7 January 1947.
William Norman Kelly
Norman Kelly was born at West View, Ackworth Road, Carleton near Pontefract, West Riding on 22 April 1899. His father was John George Kelly who was born in Wandsworth, Surrey on 8 October 1866, the sixth of seven children of William Calver Kelly, a commercial clerk, and his wife Sarah Craig who had married at Appleby, Westmorland on 9 December 1852. Norman's mother was Gertrude Mary Brooks who was born in South Elmsall, West Riding on 12 August 1869, the fourth of eight children of Thomas Brooks, a tailer and draper, and his wife Sophia Smith who had married at Holy Trinity Church, Wakefield on 3 November 1859.
In the 1891 Census, Norman's father was working as a clerk in an estate office and boarding in Carleton with Emma Smith, the aunt of his future wife, Gertrude. After their marriage in 1896 at South Elmsall, they went to live at West View, Carleton where their first son, Harold Cecil, was born on 31 March 1897. Sadly, he died aged one, before Norman was born. In 1901 John's occupation was described as a surveyor and land agent and the Kellys were sufficiently prosperous to employ a domestic servant. Two more children were born at West View, Herbert Calver on 2 September 1901 and Florence Gertrude on 10 January 1903. They were still there in the next census in 1911 when John gave his occupation as Civil Service valuer.
The Kelly family had moved to our area by 1913 when a newspaper reported that John was a land valuer living in Devonshire Road, Totley Rise. He had taken on the role as treasurer for the Mothers Meeting group at the Totley Rise Wesleyan Church.
Norman's war service record has not survived but from medal rolls we can see that he was allocated Private number 40985 with B Company of 1/5th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal. At the end of the war Norman returned home to his family who by then were living at 53 Queen Victoria Road, Totley Rise. They were still there when John Kelly died on 20 January 1938 aged 71. Following a service at Totley Rise Methodist Church, he was buried at Dore Christ Church two days later.
Florence Kelly had married Philip Aubrey Hodge, a school teacher, in 1933 and moved to 93 Rosamund Road, Bedford so that when the 1939 Register was taken there was just Gertrude with her two sons left at home in Totley Rise. Norman was an estimator for an aircraft components manufacturer and Herbert was an etching transfer maker. Norman was still unmarried when he died on 14 October 1945, aged 46. He was buried at Dore Christ Church four days later. His mother died on 6 March 1949 at the County Hospital, Bedford, presumably whilst staying with her daughter's family. She too was buried at Dore Christ Church, on 11 March. After the death of Philip Hodge in 1970, Herbert went to live with his widowed sister. He died on 20 March 1980 aged 78 and she died on 14 November 1993 aged 90.
Norman Kirkby was born in Sheffield in 1894. His father was Charles Arthur Kirkby who was born in Sheffield on 12 May 1857, the first of three children of Charles Kirkby, a cabinet maker, and his wife Ann Clarke who had married at Sheffield's (Cathedral) Church of St. Peter and St. Paul on 17 July 1856. Norman's mother was Margaret Ellen Wills who was born in Eyam, Derbyshire in 1859, the fourth of five children of James Wills, a silversmith's cashier, and his wife Hannah Bagshaw who had married at St. John the Baptist, Tideswell on 21 July 1849.
Norman's parents were married at the Montgomery Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Union Road, Sheffield on 6 September 1880. In the census the following April they were living at 43 Springwood Road, Heeley. Charles had become a cabinet case maker working in his father's firm which had its premises at 123 Arundel Street. The first of Charles and Margaret's four children, Harold Wills Kirkby, was born in 1882. Two daughters were to follow, Miriam born in 1887 and Margaret in 1888. In the Census on 5 April 1891, the Kirkby family were living at 12 Steade Road, Nether Edge. Norman was born there in 1894.
Norman's grandfather, Charles Kirkby, died on 27 October 1906 aged 76 and the thriving family business was passed to his two sons, Charles and Frederick. A new company, Charles Kirkby and Sons Limited, was formed in November 1907. The company registration shows that Charles was living at 29 Thornsett Road, Sharrow where he would still be found in the 1911 census with his wife and two of his four children, Miriam and Norman. Son Harold had married Jean Cowan MacDonald at Ecclesall in 1908 and was living at 57 Brook Road, Meersbrook. Daughter Margaret had become a cookery teacher and was in lodgings in Bath, Somerset.
Norman was educated at King Edward VII school and then became a member of the University Officers' Training Corps until he received a commission in March 1915 in the 4th Battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He was sent to France on 27 October 1915. He was wounded in the thigh by a sniper bullet on 18 December. He was still in hospital in Rouen at the end of January and said to be making steading progress. He was returned to the UK and finally discharged from hospital on 8 March 1916. Two further spells of hospitalization were recorded in 1917, 24 days isolation for measles and 18 days for debility shortly thereafter. For his part in the war, Second Lieutenant Norman Kirkby was awarded the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.
The Kirkby family's stay in our area was but a brief one. At the start of the war they were living at Pendennis, Dore Road and by 1919 they had moved to 32 Kenwood Park Road, Nether Edge. Norman returned there after the war and to employment with the family cabinet making business which on 19 January 1917 had suffered a major fire at its Arundel Street premises. The interior of the building, heavily stocked with wood and varnishes, was completely gutted and damage was estimated at £7,000. Newspaper reports do not mention whether the damage was covered by insurance although it would see likely that it was as an earlier, much smaller, fire was reported to be fully covered. By this time the business was employing around 150 people.
It would seem that Norman's health never fully recovered from the war and, after a long illness, he died on 13 March 1927. He was aged 33 and unmarried. Norman's brother Harold died on 13 November the following year whilst on holiday in Tring, Hertfordshire. He was aged 46 and he left a widow, four sons and a daughter. Norman's father was to suffer two further bereavements not long after. His wife, Margaret, passed away in Sheffield on 6 July 1931 aged 72 and older daughter Miriam died at St. John's Nursing Home, Wakefield on 1 August 1935 following an operation. She was aged 48. Miriam had married John Stanfield Hayes, a colliery manager, on 29 January 1918. They appear to have had no children. When Charles Arthur Kirkby died on 20 March 1947, aged 89, only his younger daughter Margaret of his immediate family would survive him.
Harold Hobson Mawson
Harold Hobson Mawson was born in Attercliffe, Sheffield on 14 April 1893. His father was John William Mawson who was born in Sheffield on 5 February 1869, the only son of William Mawson, a butcher, and his wife Catherine Hobson who married at Holy Trinity Church, The Wicker on 31 March 1868. Harold's mother was Mary Hannah Armitage, known as Polly, who was born on 18 July 1872 at Blacker Hill, near Worsbrough, the fourth of five children of John William Armitage, also a butcher, and his wife Jane Newboult who had married in Barnsley in 1862.
The Mawson family's connection with Totley dates from around 1880 when William Mawson, Harold's grandfather, moved his butchers business here from Addy Street, Upperthorpe. William was probably the first tenant at the newly built shops at the top of Bricky Row (69 Baslow Road). From newspaper advertisements we can see William was still there in 1889 but by 1891 he had moved to 11 Ellin Street, Moorfoot, Sheffield. John followed his father's trade and in the 1891 Census he was working as a butcher's journeyman on a farm in Worsbrough. John married Polly Armitage on 18 October 1892 at Worsbrough Parish Church. He may have been working for the Armitage family who had a butchers shop at Blacker Hill.
Harold was John and Polly's first child, born the following year, when they were living at 29 Attercliffe Road. They must have moved around a lot in the next few years judging from the baptisms of their children. Leonard was born on 1 December 1904 when they lived at at Woodbine Cottages, Tankersley; Reginald was born on 26 March 1897 when they lived at Prospect Place, Hoyland; John William junior was on 23 January 1900 when they lived at Queen Street, Hoyland Common. In the Census on 31 March 1901 the Mawson family were still living at Queen Street but John's occupation was no longer a butcher. He had become a labourer at a chemical works.
By 17 June 1901, however, the Mawson family had moved to Greenoak, Totley, the three eldest boys being admitted to Totley Church School on that day. In August 1902 Harold came second in a competition for boys aged 9-10 at the 18th Annual Dore, Totley and Holmesfield Agricultural and Horticultural Society's Exhibition. Hedley Bishop, one of the ten soldiers on Totley War Memorial came first. John and Polly's next child. Muriel, was born in Totley and baptised at Christ Church, Dore on 23 September 1903. Their stay in our area was a relatively short one, however, as their sixth child, Marjorie Sheila was born in Barnsley in 1910.
In the Census on 2 April 1911, Harold is recorded as being a draper's assistant but on 9 October that year, when aged 18, he enlisted as Private number 3224 in the 2nd Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. He stayed with the army for more than seven years. Harold's WW1 service record has not survived but we know from later documents that he was sent to France with the British Expeditionary Force on 8 February 1915 and that he suffered a gunshot wound to the head. He was discharged on 22 January 1919 having been promoted to the rank of Colour Sergeant (Company Quartermaster Sergeant). The reason given for his discharge was that he was no longer fit for war service. Harold was later awarded the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Whilst he was in the army, Harold married Margaret McArdle in Barnsley on 20 November 1916. Margaret was born on 14 or 15 April 1895 (dates vary) in Sunderland, Durham, the seventh of ten children of John Patrick McArdle, a road labourer, and his wife Sarah Ann Alderson who married at St. Paul's, Hendon, Durham on 24 July 1877. During the war Margaret lived at 2 Grace Street, Sunderland. Her two younger brothers, Philip and Bernard, served with the Durham Light Infantry.
After leaving the Army, Harold enlisted in the RAF on 22 August 1919 and was promoted to sergeant eight days later. It appears that the gunshot wound from WW1 was no handicap to his employment as a payroll clerk but when it was found that he also had a heart condition he was once again discharged unfit for service having served only 140 days in the RAF. He became an accountant and on 4 December 1938 he again enlisted as an RAF reservist. He was recalled from reserve on 25 August 1939 but we have no further information about his service during WW2.
Harold and Margaret had four children: Sheila born in Barnsley in 1918, Doreen born in Sunderland in 1919, Harold junior also born in Sunderland in 1921 and finally Kenneth born in Barnsley in 1927. By 1939 Harold's family were living at 155 Doncaster Road, Barnsley, close to his parents who were at number 230. Harold and Margaret later moved to 163 Doncaster Road where Margaret died on 14 May 1972 aged 77. We have been unable so far to confirm the date of Harold's death.
On Wednesday, 26th February we shall welcome back Valerie Bayliss who will tell us about The Old Town Hall: Past, Present and Future. Sheffield’s Old Town Hall, the neglected building on the corner of Waingate and Castle Street has been empty since 1996 and has been allowed to get into a very poor state. Opened in 1808, this important building had a big part to play in Sheffield’s history and has lots of potential for new use. A campaign group, The Friends of the Old Town Hall, was formed in 2014 to save the building and to give it a commercial and community future. Valerie's talk begins at 7.30 p.m. in Totley Library.
On Wednesday, 25th March we are pleased to welcome back Penny Rea who will talk to us about The History and Residents of Zion Graveyard, Attercliffe. The graveyard is the final resting place of pioneering anti-slavery campaigner Mary Anne Rawson as well as a number of the City's early industrialists and influential non-conformist Christian radicals. The graveyard became engulfed by vegetation during many years of neglect following the demolition of the Zion Congregational Church in 1987. When it came up for sale recently, it was bought by The Friends of Zion Graveyard Attercliffe who hope to preserve it as both a monument to the area's lost heritage and as a mini-wildlife oasis in the most unlikely of settings. Penny's talk begins at 7.30 p.m. in Totley Library.
On Wednesday, 22nd April Ann Beedham will give us an illustrated talk on The History of Stained Glass. Coloured glass has been made since the time of the Egyptians and the Romans but it gained widespread recognition with the spread of Christian churches. In England, many of these early works were destroyed in the 17th century by order of King Henry VIII after his break with the Catholic Church. During the movement of the Gothic revival many new styles were developed and the Victorians popularised the use of decorative stained glass windows and entrances in their homes. The meeting is in Totley Library and begins at 7.30pm with our AGM.
On Wednesday 27th May you are invited to join former British Rail employee Stephen Gay on a railway journey from Sheffield's abandoned Victoria Station via the towns of Rotherham, Worksop, Retford, Gainsborough and Grimsby to the east coast holiday resort of Cleethorpes during which you will pass through the 1,334 yard Kirton Tunnel whose castellated western portal was completed in 1849 for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Not just for railway enthusiasts, this well illustrated talk will be in Totley Library beginning at 7.30pm.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: