Totley History Group
Totley History Group

Gazetteer of Totley and Totley Rise

In the past most dwellings were identified only by a name.  In small towns and villages this would not have presented a great problem for the local residents in locating dwellings as they probably knew the majority of the other locals anyway.

 

As populations increased in size, however, it became obvious that a controlled system of street naming and numbering was needed. Street naming and numbering became the responsibility of local authorities and they were given the relevant powers by two pieces of legislation, firstly Sections 64 and 65 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847 and secondly Sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act of 1925. This legislation requires the Local Authority to prepare street naming and numbering schemes and to maintain a good standard of street nameplates.

 

In this alphabetical listing of streets in Totley and adjacent areas, the current house number is shown in bold type. House names in bold type still exist in the official postal address where there is no house number. Numbers in parentheses are provisionally matched usually by interpolation. Unless otherwise stated, dates refer to the first mention of the house name in our records.

Abbeydale Road South

  Abbeydale House 1911

  Beech Villas 1911

  Brookside 1911

  Cedar Villas 1901

  Dilwyn 321

  Elm Villas 1901

  Glen View 1911

  Ivy House 1911

  Oak Villas 1901

  Stanley Villa 1901

  The Poplars 1911

  The Yews 1901

  Westra 319

  Woodside 1901

  

 

Back Lane, Totley

  Barn Cottage

  Barn Wood House
  Glen Rose 1907
  Glenbourne 1909
  Woodside 1901

 

Back Lane, Bradway
  Brook Cottage

  Brookvale 1911
  Brookvale Cottages
  Claybrook Croft
  Ford Cottage

  Northwest Cottages (demolished)
  Riverside
  Sheaf Cottage (=north end of Ford Cottage)
  Stoney Brook

  Tranmere Cottage (=middle section of Ford Cottage)

 

 

Baslow Road
  Abbeydale Club 85-87 1898-1904
  Coachman's House
  Cross Scythes Hotel
  Fern Mount 353-355 (dated 1901)
  Grange Terrace (213-229) 1891 (but 229 is dated 1895)

  Greenoak Hall 193 (=Heatherfield Club) (built 1925)
  Greenoak House 164-168 (built 1812)
  Greenoak Lodge (built 1812)

  Halfway House (=Cross Scythes Hotel)

  Heatherfield Club 193 (built 1925)

  Hill Crest 361-363 (dated 1906)
  Little Haven 85 (built 1879)

  Marstone Garage  (built after numbers 73-77 were demolished,

  demol.) 

  Moorland 357-359 (dated 1906)
  Moorside 87 (built 1879)

  Oakleigh 1911
  Police Station 331
  Queen's Club 85-87 1901
  Queen's Temperance Hotel 85-87

  Rookwood 79 (built 1879)
  Roseneath (81) (built in 1879)
  Sunny Bank (83) (built in 1879)
  The Birches 81-83 (built 1879)

  Totley Grange (built in 1875, demolished in 1964)

  Totley Grange Lodge (built in 1875, demolished in 1964)
  Totley Post Office 337 (dated 1882)

  Victoria Villas (73-77) 1904 (demolished circa 1930)
  Wetherby 1916

  

Brinkburn Vale Road, Dore

   Barna 2 1923

   Brentwood 1912

   Briar Bank 1912

   Fern Bank 1922

   Holm Lea  6 1911

   Lynwood  4 1911

   Pattysbrooke 3 1922

   The Neuk 1923

 

Busheywood Road, Dore (houses on Devonshire Road are sometimes refered to as Bushey Wood, Dore)

  Airlie 1922

  Ayton Villa (Aytonville) (14) 1911

  Claymer 12 1911

  Danby 6 1922

  Edensor 1923

  Ellersley (16) 1911

  Goathland 1923

  Inglehurst (18) 1911

  Lealholm 4

  Lingrow 2

  Lyngrove 1923

  Maxstoke (20) 1911

  Morehayes 1912

  Oakdene 1922

  Randabel (10) 1911

  Sherbourne 1923

  The Bushes 1923

  Vingonia 1912

 

Butts Hill
  Ash Cottage (built in mid 18th century)
  Back Moor View
  Butshill Terrace (demol.)

  Cannon Hall (built in late 16th century)
  Doris Cottage (built circa 1899)
  Greens Cottage (rebuilt in 1987-89)
  Moor View
  Moorview House
  Shrewsbury Terrace 1-6 (built circa 1875)
  Vera Cottage (built circa 1899)

 

Canteen Lane (=Moss Road)

 

Chapel Walk (=Chapel Lane)

  Primitive Methodist Chapel (=Chapel House) (built 1849)

 

Chatsworth Road, Dore

  Aysgarth 1932

  Coniston 1923

  Edwiser Villa 1911

  Endsleigh 24 1911

  Edensor Villas 25 1922

  Moorland 1 1911

  Moorland View 3 1911

  Newlands 22 1911

  Oakleigh (Oaklea) 1911

  Rose Villa 1911

  Roslyn 17 1925

  Shandon 15 1923

  South Dene 20 1911

  Vernon Lodge 12 (dated 1910)
 

Devonshire Road, Dore (houses on Brinkburn Vale Road are sometimes

  shown as Devonshire Road)

  Allerton 1923

  Ashbourne 1911

  Aviemore  3 1911

  Bircholme  38 1904

  Brook Dene (Brooklyn) 6 1902

  Brookfield 18 1911

  Bushgarth 34 1912

  Bushy Mount 32 1912

  Cavendish Villas (11-13) 1911

  Claremont 31 1912

  Danby 1912

  Devonshire House (22?) 1905

  Devonshire Villas  19-21 1911

  Drayton House 23 1911

  Edgecombe 28 1925

  Fairfield (1) 1911

  Greyfriars 1911

  Hartington Villas 15-17 1911

  Heatherleigh 36 1904

  Langleigh (24?) 1911

  Maisonette (5) 1911

  Moorlands 25 1922

  Oakhurst (20?) 1902 

  Reneville 1912

  Resthaven (30?) 1911

  Roseneath (8) 1912

  The Grove 1923

  The Laurels (7) 1911

  The Poplars  9 1911

  Westthorpe (26) 1911

  Widdecombe 1 1922 (Brinkburn Vale Road?)

  Winthorpe 30 1922

  Woodville 29 1912

 

 

Dore (New) Road, Dore

  Apsley House 1886

  Ardendale (18) 1892

  Ashmount House 71

  Brentnor 1911

  Brinkley (4) 1896

  Brooklands 1911

  Cranesby/Cranesbie (6) 1902 

  Cresta 125

  Croft House 42

  Elm Lea 1892

  Glenbourne 1886

  Glenwood 14 1885

  Heath Court 74a

  Highlands 101

  Hillside 1901

  Ladyspring 64

  Limbrook (Lymbrook) 53 1901

  Milton House 22 1881

  Moorwinstow 99  built in 1912 

  Newstead House 1911

  Norwood 1897

  Oak Villa 1881

  One Ash 84 1900

  Pendennis 1911

  Prospect Villa 1899

  Redlands 45 1935

  Ringstead 20 1899

  Rose Lea (12) 1881

  Ryecroft 1899 

  Ryecroft Lodge 103

  Silverdale 2 1877 

  South Lawn 121 dated 1902

  Summerville 1901

  The Beeches 1901

  The Corner House 1

  The Firs 66 1901

  The Grove (Grove Villa) (8) 1901

  The Laurels 1901

  Thornbridge 1911 

  Thornsett 1899

  Tilburn 1911

  Tower House (16) 1896

  Wood Lea 10 1890

 

 

Furniss Avenue

  Birch Close 1932

  Corbiere 38 1932

  Goffs Oak 1932

  Greenlands 1932

  Littleover 1932

  Mooredge 1932

  Shirley 1932

  Spelderbanks 1932 

  The Hawthorns 1932

  Wendover 1932

  Wyngarth 1932

 

Glover Road
  Albert Villa (7) 1904

  Fairfield Villa (5) 1904
  Fern Dene 1908
  Norwood House  (9-11) 1888
  Penrhyn 1925
  Sudbury 1912
  The Mount 1916
  Woodview 1-3 1911 (demolished)

 

Grove Avenue
  Brentwood
  Hillside
  Windy Ridge

 

Grove Road, Dore

   Bridge House 1877 (6 Baslow Road)
   *Brook House (19-21) 1881, but dated 1885 (demol. 1978)
   *Brook Lynne 17 1911 (demol. 1978)

   Brookside 1881
   *Dalston Villas 13-15 1911 (demol. 1978)
   Glenroyd (5) 1898

   Grove Cottage (=Bridge House)

   Grove Lodge built 1836 (=Totley Brook Cottage?)
   Grove Villa 1877 (=Grove Cottage, =Bridge House)
   Holly Bank 11 1891
   Horton Villa (3) 1898
   *Marlborough Villas (25-27) 1906 (demol. 1978)
   Sunny Vale 1898 (=Westgrove?)

   Totley Brook Cottage (=Grove Lodge?)
   Westgrove 6 1939 (=Sunny Vale?)

   *Woodleigh House 23 1881 (demol. 1978)

   Numbers 7-9 were built in 1925

   * formerly occupied by the Dore & Totley High School

 

Hillfoot Road
  Ashcroft
  Avalon
  Bryn Cottage 5 (dated 1704)
  Cross Grove Cottage
  Cross Grove House (built 1884)
  Crown Inn

  Crown Inn Cottage (demol.)
  Elder Cottage
  Forge House

  Grove House 
  Holly Tree Cottage (=1 Summer Lane) (Evans's Shop)
  Juniper Lodge, Totley Grove
  Mill House, Totley Grove
  Moor Cottage
  Moss Grove
  Old Orchard
  Rose Cottage 1901
  School House
  The Cottage
  The Stables, Totley Grove

  Totley Dale (=Grove House)
  Totley Grove (=Grove House)
  Totley Vale (=Grove House)
  West View

 

King Ecgbert Road, Dore

  Applecross 8 1913

  Beckhythe 1923

  Blythwood 1923

  Brentford 1923

  Claremont 1919

  Glen Dene 1929

  Greystones 1922

  Highcliff 1923

  Hogarth 13

  Kenmore 12 1922

  Langwith 6 1922

  Netherfield 10 1913 

  Sunnycroft 2 1922

  The Gables 4 1922

  Uplands 18 1923

 

Lemont Road
  Hawthorn Cottages  2-6 (dated 1876)
  Lemont House 34 1901
  Mona Villas 1912 37-39
  Moorland View 19-25 (dated 1908)

 

Main Avenue
  Avondale 36 1916
  Belmont (8) 1911
  Belvoir House 1925
  Brenchley (18) 1910

  Bronkley 1913
  Brooklands 61
  Byron House 32 1911
  Dyffryn 1912
  Eggerslack 4 1911
  Ellerslie  6 1910
  Elmstead 33
  Ferndene 1911
  Glenwood 1925

  Greenwood 1916
  Heatherdene (2) 1910
  Homedale 1911
  Inglewood 40 1912
  Ivy Dene 16 1911
  Marina House 67
  Marlbrook 69
  Maycroft 22 1911
  New Haven 1913
  Osborne House (12) 1910
  Rookwood 65
  Rose Dene 1911
  Rose Hill 38 1911
  Ruskin Villa 34 1912
  Ryburn 44 1916
  Somerford 7 1925
  St Hilda 1912
  Suncliff 63
  Sunny Bank  (14) 1911
  The Gables 45
  Trelwydon (20) 1911
  Waverley 1912
  Whitecroft  (10) 1911

 

Marstone Crescent

  Moss View 13
  Red Ridges 25-27

  St Helens 24

 

Meadow Grove and Meadow Grove Road (=Princess Street)
  Fairhaven 1925
  Glenaire 1912
  Silsoe 35 1925

  The Bungalow 1911
  The Newlands 5 1925

 

Mickley Lane
  Brook Hall (built circa 1850)
  Brook Hall Lodge (built circa 1850)
  Brook Terrace  (built circa 1888, demolished circa 1956)
  Cherry Tree Orphanage (=Mickley Hall) (built 1867-68)
  Glover House (demol.)

  Shepley Spitfire (built 1979) 

 

Mill Lane

  Mill Cottage

  Poynton Water

  Rolling Mill Cottages 1-4

 

Monybrooks Lane
   Hop Cottage

 

New Row (=Summer Lane)

 

Old Hay Lane, Totley

  Holder (=Old Hay)

  Old Hay

  Old Hay Cottage

  Oldway (=Old Hay)

  Oldway Forge (demol.)

  Totley Forge (demol.)

 

Park Lane (=Sunnyvale Avenue)
  Krithia

 

Prospect Place, Bradway
  Braeside 1923
  Casanova 1912
  Holmfield 1911

  The Poplars 9 1916

 

Prospect Road, Totley Rise (Bradway)
  Dale View 1911
  Derwent Lodge 1916
  Derwent Lodge 1922
  Hill Crest 131 1911
  Hill House 1909
  Hill Top 10 1919
  Moorhill 1912
  Mount Pleasant House 133 1907

  Overdale 129 1908

  The Dingle 172 1904

  The Mount 1911
  Winderton 1912

 

Quarry Road

  Moss Lea Cottage 3

  Quarry Cottage 1

 

Station Road (=Dore New Road = Dore Road), Dore

 

Strawberry Lee Lane
  Hallfield Farm
  Hollin House
  Turner's Croft

 

Sunnyvale Road

  The Hollies 33 1912

  The Orchard 36

  Udale Cottage 4 1912

 

The Crescent  

  Holly Cottage 4

 

The Grove

  Hadleigh 35

  Holly Bush House 38

  Kendell 31

  The Crag 4

 

The Quadrant

  Hazeldene 1924

  Inglenook 7

  Redcote 10

  Summerville 21

 

Totley Bents Road
  Bank View Farm

  Monnybrook Cottages (rebuilt 1985)
  Sunnybank 1911
  The Grouse 
  The Poplars

 

Totley Brook Road, Dore
  Agardsley (142) 1911

  Arrandale 1923
  Ashleigh (92) 1911
  Avondale (88) 1911
  Belmont (108)  1910
  Blythwood (102) 1902
  Bonnyrigg (136) 1911

  Brook House 98 1890
  Brook Leigh 126 1911
  Brookside (144) 1911

  Brookwood 1901

  Cotsford 42 1923

  Cotswood 42 1922
  Daleside 22 1911
  Dovedale (2) 1911
  Dunedin (138) 1911
  Eastbourne 36 1911
  Fernleigh 114 1904
  Greenlawn (20) 1911
  Grendon (96) 1911
  Hamilton House (140) 1911

  Hazelbadge 1923
  Holly Dene (104) 1911
  Homefield (122) 1911
  Ingledew House 1900
  Inglewood 24 1911
  Kengarth (Kingarth) 90 1911
  Kilmington (110) 1911
  Kirkleigh (16) 1911
  Lyndhurst (14) 1911

  Meadow View 1923
  Melrose (106) 1911

  Moor Cottage 18 

  Moor View 146 1912

  Moorlands 132 1911

  Mostyn (98) 1911

  Norbury 1912
  Oakdene 94 1911

  Oakleigh 26 1912
  Oakhurst (4) 1911
  Prospect House (10) 1911
  Rookwood (6) 1902
  Rose Bank 42 1904 (demol.)

  Rose Lea 1927  

  Rose Villa (40) 1911
  Runswick (134) 1911

  Sherwood 1922

  Silverdale 1923
  South View (118) 1911
  Springfield 8 1911
  Sunnyside (120) 1911
  Thornfield 1896
  Thornleigh (100) 1911

  Trevarrian 124 1923

  Waverton 40 1912

  Werneth 44 1912

  Westbourne 38 1911

  Westminster 86 1925
  Wingrove 112 1911
  Woodview (12) 1911

  Wyvenhoe 1923

 

Totley Grove Road (=Grove Road)

 

Totley Hall Lane

  Elder Cottage (demolished in 1932 for the new Fleur)

  Fleur de Lys Hotel (rebuilt 1933)

  Hall Lane Barn

  Hall Lane Farm 

  Lowfield Hall (demolished in 1999)
  School House (dated 1827)
  South Cottage (modern, formerly 3 cottages)
  The Lodge (dated 1887) 
  Toft House (built circa 1813)
  Toft House Cottage (built 1813)
  Totley Hall (dated 1623 and 1883)
  Totley Hall Lane Farm

 

Turnpike Road (=Baslow Road)

 

Victoria Road, Bradway (=Queen Victoria Road)
  Alma Villas  44-46 1907
  Ashcroft (70) 1925
  Balaclava House 62 1900 (demol. and rebuilt)
  Brentwood  10 1911
  Chestnut Villas 1909
  Cliff(e) Cottages 1911

  Garfield Villa 125 (dated 1936)
  Hillside 98 1911

  High Croft 1916
  Holly Mount 1911

  Keppel Gate 30-32
  Lathkil 1919
  Lynton 1912
  Machin Croft 1919

  Marne Villas 1919 
  Merryfields 24 1911
  Middlewood 1911
  Moorland View 1893
  Nestleton 1916
  Oakdene 139 1916
  Oakview 1911
  Oakwood 60 1895
  Riseholm 1911
  Somerleigh House 1911
  St Ives 19-8
  Stanley Villas 1891
  Sunnybank 1922
  The Bungalow
  The Moorings 52 1925 

  Willow Cottage 34

  Woodbank 96 1895 (rebuilt)
  Woodbine Cottage 1901

  Woodbine House 39 
  Woodland Villas 48-50 (dated 1873)
  Yewcroft 1912

 

Well Bents Lane( =Penny Lane)

 

  

Latest News

On Wednesday 28th June, we welcome back Ann Beedham whose talk is called Days of Sunshine and Rain: Peak District Rambling in the 1920s, with words and photographs from the life of George Willis Marshall who was a keen walker and who took lots of photos in the 1920s and 1930s as he wandered the hills of Derbyshire with his friends. They were pioneers of the ‘right to roam’ and took part in the famous Kinder Trespass of 1932. The meeting is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m.

 

On Wednesday 26th July Alan Powell will tells us about The History of Newspapers in Sheffield. Alan is a former Editor of the Sheffield Telegraph and The Star newspapers and had a career of more than 44 years in journalism in Sheffield. The meeting as usual is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m. Non-members are welcome.

 

The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday, 27th September when we present an illustrated talk by David Templeman called Mary, Queen of Scots: The Final Journey - From Sheffield to Fotheringhay (1584-1587). This talk relates the compelling tale of the events leading up to and including Mary’s trial and execution. Mary’s courage and conduct come to the fore as she takes her tragic story through Wingfield Manor, Tutbury Castle, Chartley Manor, Texall and culminating in the climax at Fotheringhay Castle where she is tried and executed for High Treason. But was she guilty? That is the question this talk addresses. The meeting is in Totley Library, starting at 7.30 p.m. 

A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.

Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination  This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections. 

The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.

Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.

We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.

Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road. 

On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.

John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.

We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now. 

We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.

We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search. 

Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road

John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.

The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure. 

When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.

Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.

Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.

Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.

We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore. 

Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.

When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.

Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status. 

What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine. 

We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.

On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.

 

Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.

 

 

Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.

 

 

 

Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.

 

 

Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation the steel industry.

 

 

Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.

 

 

The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.

 

 

Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives. 

 

 

We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale and Norton.

 

 

Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.

This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"

As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.

We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.

With more people having access to faster broadband and mobile networks, we have uploaded seven full and unedited oral history recordings and also added more short excerpts for you to listen to.

Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.

We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.

Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village. 

Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!  

Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.

Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in  the churchyard.

 

Visitors since 24 Sep 2012:

Print Print | Sitemap
© Totley History Group