Please see War Memorials and Rolls of Honour for the names of local WW1 soldiers and links to other soldier's stories.
Cecil Harrald Adamson
Cecil Harrald Adamson was born on 8 April 1894 in Sunderland, County Durham, to Ebenezer Adamson and his wife Florence. They later had another son, Donald Harrald Adamson, who was born in Sheffield on 18 September 1903.
Ebenezer Adamson had been born in Sunderland on 9 September 1867 to Robert Adamson, a blacksmith, and his wife Elizabeth. In 1881, he was a 13-year-old building society clerk living in his father’s household at 56 Lawrence St, Bishop Wearmouth. However, by 1891 he had risen to be the manager of a steelworks; his address at that time is not known as he was recorded on census night as a visitor in the household of Ann Ingleby, widow, at Spring Grove Terrace, Burley, Headingley with Burley, Leeds. Later in 1891, Ebenezer married Florence Newcombe Harrald, a schoolmistress who had been born in Sunderland in 1868.
By 1901, Ebenezer, Florence and Cecil had moved to Ecclesall, living at 10 Hardwick Crescent, off Psalter Lane, and in 1911 they were living in a large house at 23 Priory Road, off Sharrow Lane. Ebenezer described himself as a metallurgist (iron and steel); Cecil, now 16, was a clerk to an iron and steel merchant.
In 1913, Ebenezer seems to have applied for membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, being proposed for membership by Joseph Adamson of Hyde, and supported by, amongst others, Daniel Adamson; it is not clear whether these were relatives. Ebenezer had apparently undertaken research in Chemistry and Metallurgy at Sheffield University between 1898 and 1902, and had worked as a consulting metallurgist and consulting metallurgical engineer from February 1901. At the time of his application in 1913, he was a Consulting Metallurgical Engineer of 18 York Street, Sheffield, and 19 St Vincent Place Glasgow. His application for membership appears to have been rejected because he had no training in mechanical engineering.
By 1913, the Adamsons had moved to Dore: White’s Directory for 1913 gives Ebenezer’s home address as Lilburn, Dore Road, Dore (now number 28). Cecil appears to have joined the Army relatively soon after the outbreak of World War 1, as he left Britain with his regiment on 23 September 1915, presumably having undertaken at least some training before he left. He gave his home address as Lilburn, Dore – his parents’ home, and his occupation in civil life was said to be with Wm. Jacks and Co, 19 St Vincent, Glasgow or 18 York Street, Sheffield – the same addresses as given by his father in his application for membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Twelve days before he left Britain, Cecil married Olive Runa Bibbings in Ecclesall. He then left for Gallipoli, entering that theatre of war on 14 October 1915; he was therefore eligible for the 1914/15 star as well as the Victory and British War Medals. His medal record states that served first in the Royal Irish Rifles - although his service record suggests that he was actually in the 6 th Battalion, the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He later became a Second Lieutenant in the West Yorkshire Regiment. After Cecil went abroad, Olive went to Plymouth to stay with her parents. Cecil named her as his next of kin, and gave his address as The Cottage, Mount Gould, Plymouth – presumably her parents’ address.
Cecil appears to have been transferred to the RFC by 15 February 1917, when he was made a Lieutenant. He was in 31 Squadron, and subsequently served in the RAF following its formation in 1918. He was demobilised on 1 June 1919, and travelled to Plymouth to meet Olive, only to discover that, earlier that year, she had borne an illegitimate son, fathered by an American serviceman. He sued for divorce, and the decree nisi was awarded on 4 February 1920, when Cecil was again living on Dore Road.
After the war, Cecil’s career seems to have been similar to his father’s. The Yorkshire Post for 9 May 1925 stated that, on the previous day, at a meeting of the Iron and Steel Institute in London, Cecil H. Adamson of Sheffield, jointly with Gerald S. Bell of Lincoln, was awarded a Carnegie Scholarship of £50 to continue research on cast-iron transverse test bars and engineering formulae. By January 1933, he appears to have moved to 2 Hilton Road, Leeds.
He later moved to London, where in 1936 he married Letitia Moreira. In 1939, they were living at 82A Alexandra Road, Hampstead. Cecil worked in sales, and Letitia was a despatch clerk. Cecil’s mother had died on 11 November 1932, when her address was given as 111 Manchester Road, Sheffield. His father, Ebenezer, died in 1937 at the age of 69; as his death was recorded in West Hampstead, he may have been living with Cecil at the time. Cecil himself died in 1972. Olive remarried in 1924, and continued to live in the south west. She appears to have died in 1954.
John Ainley Bagshaw
John Ainley Bagshaw was born in Heeley on 25 July 1894. His father was Joseph Herbert Bagshaw who was born at Spinkhill, Eckington in 1823, the eighth of ten child born to Joseph Bagshaw, a grocer and provisions dealer, and his wife Jane Healey who married at Littlemoor Chapel, Glossop in August 1852. John's mother was Fanny Ainley who was born in 1868 in Golcar, near Huddersfield, the youngest of four children born to Seth Ainley, a woollen manufacturer and his wife Ann Sykes who married at Slaithwaite on 17 October 1855.
Joseph Herbert Bagshaw became an printer and engraver. After his marriage to Fanny at the Baptist Chapel, Golcar, on 5 October 1893 the couple made their home in Sheffield, where John was born the following year. Sadly he was to be their only child as Fanny died on 28 October 1898. In the 1901 Census Joseph Herbert was living at 80 Ashland Road but young John was in Spinkhill with his father's older sister Mary Hellen and her husband George Hunt who had taken over the family grocery business after the death of John's grandfather.
In the summer of 1901, Joseph Herbert Bagshaw remarried to Edith Peggs, in Tendring district, Essex. Edith had been born in Brightlingsea in 1878, the youngest daughter of Cornelius Peggs, a ship chandler, and his wife Martha Whisson who had married in Lexden in 1866. Joseph and Edith had a daughter, Bessie, born in Sheffield in 1903. Whilst Joseph's business remained at Eyre Street, Sheffield, the family home moved to Springfield, 8 Totley Brook Road. A son, Joseph Rowland, was born there in 1907 and they were still there in 1911 when the Census was taken.
John, now aged 17, was absent from that Census and we have so far been unable to find him. Possibly he was away at college or even abroad - John and two friends gave a lecture and slideshow about Austria to the Union Church Literary Society in December 1913. By that time the Bagshaw family were living at a house on Totley Brook Road they named Wyvenhoe, after the village in Essex. Its number is yet to be traced.
John Ainley Bagshaw enlisted at the start of the war. Like so many others, John's service record has not survived. Brief details recorded on a medal roll index card tell us that he had joined the Royal Army Medical Corps as Private number 178. He was sent to France with the British Expeditionary Force on 15 April 1915 and, having survived the war, was disembodied on 12 April 1919. He was awarded three medals: the 1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
After the war John became a transfer maker for marking steel, we presume in his father's business. On 30 June 1921 he married Ethel Mary Bell, an Inland Revenue clerk, at Ranmoor Wesleyan Chapel, Upper Ranmoor Road. Known as Molly, she had been born in Sheffield on 31 October 1897, the younger daughter of John Edwin Bell, a commercial traveller, and his wife Mary Jollie who married in Sheffield in 1890.
In 1925 John's father Joseph Herbert Bagshaw died in mysterious circumstances. On the morning of 18 October he had been seen walking along Totley Brook Road presumably heading towards the Millhouses tram stop on his way to work but had subsequently gone missing. On 6 October a body was found in Ecclesall Woods which was too decomposed to identify but, from articles on the body, was presumed to be Joseph. A razor in a case and a bloodstained mackintosh were found near the body and Joseph's son John Henry Bagshaw testified that he thought it probable that his father had committed suicide as he had been very depressed and worried about letters he had received recently from the Inland Revenue. However, the coroner was unable to determine the cause of death and so advised the jury to return an open verdict which they duly did.
John and Molly appear to have had three daughters, Sheila in 1924, Joyce in 1927 and Judith in 1932 although the two younger children's records are redacted from the 1939 National Register when
the family were living at 90 Ashdell Road, Broomhill. John Ainley Bagshaw died at home at 10 Canterbury Crescent, Fulwood on 31 October 1957 - his wife's 60th birthday - aged 63. Molly Bagshaw, of 20
Broomgrove Road, Broomhall, died on 20 May 1990, aged 92.
John Cameron Gordon Bardsley and David Crawford Gordon Bardsley
Cameron Bardsley and his younger brother David appear on the Rolls of Honour at both Totley Rise Methodist Church and at Abbeydale St. John the Baptist. David also appears on the Roll of Honour of his employer, Arthur Balfour & Co. Ltd., at Kelham Island, Sheffield.
John Cameron Gordon Bardsley was born in Matlock, Derbyshire in 1893. His father was John Burton Bardsley who was born at Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire in 1862, the second of seven children of Joseph Bardsley, a brush manufacturer, and his wife Elizabeth Burton who married at the Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Ashton on 7 September 1858. Cameron's mother was Janet Gordon who was born in Carlisle, Cumberland in 1862, the eldest of six children of Pastor John Henry Gordon, a Baptist minister, and his Scottish wife Janet Cameron Crawford. It would appear that Cameron's parents met whilst they were both living in Hackney, Middlesex. His father was working as an accountant and his mother as a Board School teacher. They married at the Congregational Church in Darlington, Durham on 1 June 1892.
John and Janet Bardsley made their home at Rockside, located at the "summit" of Matlock Bank. Cameron was born there on 20 April 1893. Rockside Hydro was a pleasure and health establishment that could accommodate about 100 visitors, with baths, tennis courts, bowling greens, billiards rooms, dining rooms etc. and about 70 bedrooms. It had been built in 1862 by Charles Rowland and at first John became Mr Rowland's manager. In December 1893, however, a new company, Rockside Hydropathic Limited, was formed to purchase the hydro from Mr. Rowland and to expand its facilities. John became its managing director whilst Mr. Rowland became a director as well as its main shareholder.
A second son, David Crawford Gordon Bardsley was born at Rockside on 23 September 1894. By 1900, however, the Bardsley family had moved to Dore where Douglas William Gordon Bardsley was born on 7 December. In the census on 31 March 1901, the family were recorded at Glenroyd, 5 Grove Road. John was now the company secretary and chief accountant of Davy Brothers Limited, at their Park Iron Works, Foley Street, Sheffield. A fourth son, Ronald Francis Gordon Bardsley, was born on 22 June 1903. Cameron and David were educated at Dore High School and later at Chesterfield Grammar School. By 1911 the family had moved home to 82 Springfield Road, Millhouses.
Cameron Bardsley attended Sheffield University for six months in each of the years 1910 to 1913 whilst also pursuing an apprenticeship at Davy Brothers in the remainder of each year. He became an graduate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering on 7 July 1914. Later that year Cameron enlisted in the 12th (Sheffield) Battalion of York and Lancaster Regiment and on 15 May 1915 he was promoted from Sergeant to Temporary Second Lieutenant. Shortly after he was appointed the Battalion Signalling Officer. However, Cameron's military service was cut short in June 1916 when he was diagnosed as suffering from the heart condition tachycardia. He was formally discharged from service on 9 October 1916 and presented with Silver War Badge number 2957 on 15 November. By this time his parents had moved back to Totley Rise and were living at Sunnycroft, 2 King Ecgbert Road. Cameron returned to work for Davy Brothers for the remainder of the war.
David Bardsley was on the staff of Arthur Balfour & Co. Ltd. when in August 1914 he enlisted as a Private number 12/34 in the 12th Battalion of the Yorks and Lancashire Regiment. His service record has not survived but we know that he rose quickly to the rank of Lance Corporal and on 29 May 1917 he was discharged to a commission in the South Staffordshire Regiment. Second Lieutenant David Bardsley was awarded the Military Cross in October that year "for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He led the right flank of his brigade in an attack to the exact position of the final objective. He frequently exposed himself to heavy fire to take compass bearings." David was also awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Cameron Bardsley married Edith May Rolley at Christ Church, Dore on 16 June 1921. Edith was the only daughter of James Rolley, a grindstone merchant, and his wife Emily Alice Browne, who had married at St. Mary's Church, Sheffield on 23 September 1869. Two sons, James Edward and Francis had died in infancy. Edith was born on 7 May 1894 when the Rolley family were living at 100 Arundel Street but by 1901 they had moved to Glover Road, Totley Rise. By 1911 they had moved to Thornleigh, 100 Totley Brook Road where they would have been close neighbours of the Bardsleys. Cameron remained assistant outdoor engineer with Davy Brothers until 1925 when he became works manager for Guest and Chrimes Limited at their foundry and brassworks in Rotherham.
It would appear that Cameron and Edith did not have children and did not remain together. In the 1939 National Register, whilst Edith was shown as a poultry farmer at Cricket Hill, near Wokingham, Berkshire, Cameron was at 6 St. Catherine's Court, Acton, Middlesex living with Doris Jennie Irene Marrison, the widow of William Cowie. Cameron and Doris returned to Sheffield sometime after 1947 to live at 54a Wilson Road, Broomhall. Cameron died at the Royal Hospital Annexe, Fulwood on 30 May 1952, aged 59. Doris died in Broomhall on 23 February 1960, aged 62. Edith Bardsley died in Basingstoke on 24 February 1976, aged 81.
David Bardsley gave his occupation as steel manufacturer when he emigrated aboard the SS Baltic which sailed from Liverpool on 5 May 1920 bound for New York. He lived in Boston and later in Quincy, Massachusetts. When, on 5 June 1926, David arrived back in England aboard the SS Montrose he was accompanied by his wife Bertha Madeline Dunbar who had been born in Roxbury, Massachusetts on 13 March 1898. The couple gave their intended address as Sunnybank, the home of David's parents. The stay was a short one as they sailed from Glasgow aboard the SS Metagama bound for Montreal on 27 August. From there they made their way via Newport, Vermont to their home at 149 Farrington Street, Quincy. David was still working for Alfred Balfour as the treasurer of its American subsidiary, Arthur Balfour Steel Company Inc.
David and Bertha were living in New Orleans in 1930 when the US Census was taken. David gave his employment as a salesman for foundry products. They had returned to England by 1937. In 1939 they were living 44 Chatsworth Road and were still there when David died on 5 June 1940, aged 45. They appear to have had no children. Bertha returned to Massachusetts in 1947. She died in March 1968 at Mattapan, aged 69, and was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Dorchester.
Frederick Arnold Best
Arnold Best was born in Pitsmoor in 1896. His grandfather, John Best, was a file forger, and later a grocer, who lived at 123 Fitzalan Street, Pitsmoor (this street, which ran parallel to Rock Street, has since been demolished). John and his wife Jane had eleven children, of whom Arnold’s father, Frederick, born about 1867, was the fifth.
Frederick Best appears to have been ambitious. The 1881 census lists him as a coal merchant’s clerk, aged 14, and in 1891 he was a cost clerk in a steelworks. He married Caroline Davis in 1892, and their first child, Sydney Davis Best, was born on 8 December 1893, when the family was living at 118 Abbeyfield Road, in Pitsmoor. Sadly, Sydney died in 1895, the year in which Frederick joined the firm of Thomas Firth and Sons Ltd as head of the steel foundry department. Arnold, Frederick and Carline’s second child, was born on 14 May 1896 and baptised at Christ Church, Pitsmoor, on 7 September 1896.
At some time between July 1898 and 31 March 1901, the Best family moved to Abbeydale Rise, and by 1905 they had moved to Ringstead, 20 Dore New Road. Ringstead was a prestigious dwelling. The Sheffield Daily Telegraph for 15 March 1904 described the house, which was for sale by auction, as an ‘Excellent Family Residence’, stone-built, detached, with a carriage entrance, lawn, and shrubbery at the front, and a large kitchen garden, planted with fruit trees, at the back. The house was said to be in excellent condition, and ‘fitted with costly stoves and mantels’. It was at that time occupied by H. J. M. Cockayne, of the department store family.
In the 1911 census, Frederick, now 44, described himself as the director and secretary of a steel works. Caroline, his wife of 18 years, had borne him five children, two of whom had died – their first child Sydney, and Colin Davis Best, who was born in May 1898 and died aged 7 months. Their daughters, Kathleen Mary, aged 9, and Jean Margaret, aged 2, were at home on census night; Arnold was away at school in Cheltenham. Picture Sheffield has a photograph (Ref: y04703) of Frederick in about 1919, when he was Company Secretary of Thomas Firth and Sons Ltd.
Arnold, Frederick and Caroline’s oldest surviving child, was born on 14 May 1896. He was educated at New College, Harrogate (May 1907 to May 1910) and Cheltenham College (May 1910 to May 1912). From May 1912 to May 1913, he worked in the machine and engine test shops in Messrs Peugeot Automobiles, France, and then spent 15 months (from May 1913 to August 1914) in Germany. From October 1914 to October 1915, he worked in the workshops at Messrs Thos. Firth and Sons Ltd., Sheffield, and commenced evening classes in metallurgy in Sheffield University.
However, in October 1915, Arnold joined the Royal Naval Air Service as a Flight Sub-Lieutenant (service number 37373-37670) serving with the Airship Service. On 1th February 1916, he was awarded the Aeronaut’s (Balloonist) certificate. He was promoted to Flight Lieutenant in June 1917, and on 25 September 1917 he was awarded his Airship Pilot’s Licence. While with the RNAS, he took courses in engineering, aerostatics, internal combustion engines etc. He became a Captain in the RAF in April 1918. On 25 October 1918, he was sent for a course of instruction to RAF Cranwell (originally founded in 1916 as the Royal Naval Air Service’s Training Establishment, and taken over by the RAF on its establishment as a separate service in 1918). He was demobilised on 26 January 1919 and was awarded the Victory and British War Medals.
After demobilisation, Arnold returned to a career in engineering. He was elected an Associate Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society in October 1919, and in February 1920 he was proposed for graduate membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. At that time, he was working as a pupil at Brown-Firth Research Laboratories Sheffield, and attending instruction in Iron & Steel and Mathematics at Sheffield University. He gave as his home address at that time The Terrace, Eyam, Derbyshire. He subsequently moved to London, where he was employed as an engineer.
On 1 September 1925, in St John’s Church, Roundhay, Leeds, Arnold married Alexandra Enid Ives, the daughter of Alfred Edward Ives, a Leeds business man who was for some time the proprietor of the Grand Restaurant, Leeds. Two of Alexandra’s elder brothers had died in the war: Kenneth Hill Ives, a 2nd Lieutenant in the West York Regiment (8th Battalion, the Leeds Rifles – a territorial battalion) died of pneumonia and typhoid in York Military Hospital in December 1914 aged 22, and Derrick, a Sub-Lieutenant on the submarine H10, died aged 21 when his vessel was lost in the North Sea on 19 January 1918. A third brother, Edward Leslie, served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the West Yorkshire Regiment and as a Captain in the Royal Flying Corps, and survived the War.
In 1939, the Bests were living in Hadresham, Surrey; Arnold was the company director and sales manager of an aluminium light metal works. Alexandra died in Outwood, Surrey on 2 September 1950 aged 49; Arnold survived her and appears to have died in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, near Monte Carlo, on 7 December 1968 aged 72.
Lawrence Ernald Bindley
Lawrence Bindley was the son of Ernald and Frances Bindley, of Rose Villa, Totley Brook Road. Like his father, John Riles Bindley, Ernald Edward Bindley was born in Ashby-de-la-Zouche in Leicestershire. In 1840, John, a leather merchant who had been born in about 1807, married Harriett Wood, who had been born in Gibraltar in about 1814. They had at least ten children, all born in Ashby-de-la-Zouche; Ernald, born in about 1850, was the seventh. He did not follow in his father’s trade but became a cashier with the Sheffield Banking Company.
Frances Dora Walker was born in Sheffield in 1858. Her father, James Charles Thrasher Holworthy Walker of 344 Glossop Road, described himself as a Professor of Music; his father, James Walker, was a surgeon and general practitioner. In 1855, James junior married Eliza Anne Ward, the daughter of Henry Huntsman Ward, an edge-tool manufacturer who had died in 1831. They had two sons and two daughters. Sadly, James junior died in 1881; Eliza had predeceased him. However, his daughters seem to have been left well provided for: certainly, the 1891 census records Frances and her younger sister Maria Louisa as living on their own means.
It is not clear where Ernald Bindley and Frances Walker met, but they were married on 15 October 1896 at Masbrough Parish Church, Rotherham. Lawrence was their only child: born on 4 February 1899, he was christened in Dore Church on 3 April 1899. By 1899, the Bindley family was living on Totley Brook Road. Although the house was not named in White’s Directory for 1898/9 or in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, it is thought to have been Rose Villa, now number 80.
Lawrence was called up to serve in World War 1 in 1917 when he was still at school. He became a corporal in the 1/7 Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment, and was moved to the Reserve on 16 November 1919. He was awarded the Victory and British medals, indicating that he served abroad. After he was demobilised he returned home to Totley Brook and became scoutmaster to the troop attached to Dore and Totley Union Church.
He then served for seven years in the Royal Corps of Signals and later the Royal Army Medical Corps and was living in Aldershot, Hampshire when he married Doris Jackson on 11 July 1931 at St. Bridget's Church, Brigham, Cumberland. Doris was born on 19 April 1903, the only daughter of John William Jackson and his wife Ada Tanner who had married in Kendal, Westmorland in 1902.
In March 1933 Lawrence was appointed by the Byfleet Village Hall Trustees as caretaker to the property at 54 High Road. A son, David John Walker Bindley was born in Byfleet on 16 December 1937. Lawrence and Doris became involved in many of the community activities in the village. As another war was looming, Lawrence became the drill and first aid instructor to the local defence volunteers.
Lawrence was ordered to report for duty at Woolwich on 16 August 1939. We understand that he was sent to France and was later evacuated from Dunkirk. Happily, Lawrence survived the Second as well as the First World War. He returned to his job at the Byfleet Village Hall and was still living there when Doris died on 1 February 1969, aged 65. In later life Lawrence lived in a flat at 20 Rectory Lane, Byfleet. He died on 14 May 1981 aged 82.
Alec Edward Brook
The name of Alec Edward Brook appears on the Rolls of Honour at Totley Rise Methodist Church and also at St. John the Baptist, Abbeydale.
Alec Brook was born in Sheffield on 8 June 1892. His father was Edward Brook who was born in Leeds on 8 June 1861, the eldest child of George Alexander Brook, a publican, and his first wife Harriet Hobson who had married at St. Philip's Church, Leeds on 19 June 1860. Alec's mother was Kate Atkinson who was born in Leeds in 1859, the third of six children of Henry Atkinson, a joiner and builder, and his wife Ellen Backhouse who had married in Leeds in 1855. Alec's father had trained as a school teacher and had moved to Sheffield prior to his marriage on 12 June 1886 at Park Chapel, Leeds.
In the 1901 Census the Brook family were living at Hawthorn Villas, 127 Machon Bank, Nether Edge. Edward had become a commercial traveller for a paper and stationary firm. Sadly, Alec's mother passed away on 6 March 1894 when he was aged two. His father remarried on 23 December 1896 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Tadcaster, to Lizzie Atkinson, the cousin of his first wife. Lizzie was the second daughter of John Atkinson, a joiner, and his second wife Ann Barker who had married at Aberford Parish Church on 4 October 1856.
Alec was educated at King Edward VII School and, by the time of the next Census in 1911, he had become a student at the Civil Engineering Department of Sheffield University. The Brook family had moved to Oak Lea, 26 Chatsworth Road. On 26 July of the following year, Alec embarked at Liverpool on the Empress of Britain bound for St. John, New Brunswick. Whilst in Canada he worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway and also for the Department of Works in Toronto. On his return to England, Alec became employed in the electrical supply department of Sheffield Corporation.
Alec's war service record has not survived but we know that he enlisted in the 12th (Sheffield) Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment. On 12 July 1915 he was granted a commission as Second Lieutenant in the 1st Field Company of the West Riding Division of the Royal Engineers. He was sent to France on 11 January 1917. By the end of the war Alec had risen to the rank of Major. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
On 15 December 1917 at Totley Rise Wesleyan Chapel, Alec married Elsie Marjorie, the elder daughter of Henry William Armstead, a commercial traveller, and his first wife Mary Borthwick Robinson who had married in Middlesbrough in 1893. The Armsteads were living at Totley Brook Road in 1901 but later they moved to Homesdale, Meadow Grove, Totley.
At the end of the war, Alec and Elsie lived at Swing Farm Cottage in Dore village and later at Windyridge, 13 Leyfield Road. A daughter, Margaret, was born in 1921. After the deaths of Alec's parents, Lizzie on 23 August 1932 and Edward on 26 March 1938, they moved into the house in Chatsworth Road. When the National Register was taken on 29 September 1939, Alec's occupation was shown as a chartered structural engineer.
In WW2 Alec became a member of the Home Guard, serving from 14 June 1940 until 31 December 1944. After he retired, he and Elsie moved to 41 Ashleigh Road, Exmouth, Devon. She died at the Nuffield Nursing Home in Exeter on 27 April 1966, aged 71. Alec died at 24a Abbey Road, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire on 5 January 1987, aged 94.
Joseph Frederick Cartwright
Fred Cartwright was born in Lincoln on 20 January 1886, the son of Thomas Cartwright, an agricultural labourer, and his wife Mary Ann. When Fred was aged five, the family moved to Kirton-in-Lindsey and Fred went to school there. A bright boy, he gained a scholarship to Gainsborough Grammar School but could not attend as his family were unable the to afford the uniform, text books etc.
Fred's first job after leaving school in 1900 was on the railway in Leeds but by the time of the 1911 Census he was living in Norton and working as a cost clerk for Hatfields Steel.
On his way to work each day from his lodgings at his cousin's house, he passed 38 Chantrey Road, the home of Emma Booth, the second daughter of Benjamin Beeley Booth and Alice Wolstenholme. Alice was a grand-daughter of Job Green, landlord of the Cross Scythes, Totley.
On 29 May 1912 Fred and Emma were married at St Paul's Church in Norton. Benjamin and Alice were living at Toft House by this time and Fred and Emma's wedding party were photographed in the orchard there. The couple set up home at Moorview on Butts Hill.
By the outbreak of war in August 1914, Fred Cartwright was in the Territorial Army and consequently was called up immediately. He was a gunner with the Royal Field Artillery and he was serving in France during the second battle of Ypres, 21 April to 25 May.
During his service he kept in touch with his brother-in-law and close friend Bert Booth and a postcard that he sent to Bert survives.
His battery also fought in Belgium and Fred served right through the war without injury but he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter Doreen was born during a snowstorm in January 1917. Fred had to venture out with a lantern to fetch Nurse Jessop from her cottage on Mickley Lane.
After the war, Fred returned to Hatfields and worked there until his retirement in 1956. By the start of WW2 Fred and Emma were living at 47 King Ecgbert Road, Dore, and they both died there, Emma on 14 December 1946 aged 64 and Fred on 16 December 1963 aged 77.
Reginald David Cox and George Percy Cox
Reginald David Cox and his younger brother George Percy appear on the Rolls of Honour at both Totley Rise Methodist Church and Dore & Totley United Reformed Church. Reginald also appears on the Roll of Honour at St. John's the Baptist, Abbeydale.
Reginald was born in Edale, Derbyshire on 15 June 1898. His father was John Cox who was born at Tachbrook, Warwickshire in 1870, the third of ten children of George Cox, an agricultural labourer, and his wife Mary Ann Lane who married at St. George's Parish Church, Newbold Pacey, Warwickshire on 31 March 1864. John's mother was Florence Annie Lane who was born on 2 June 1873 in Birmingham, the eldest of nine children born to David Lane, a railway signalman, and Mary Ann Johnson who married on 11 August 1872 at St Peters Church, Birmingham. John's parents were first cousins.
By the time he was 20 John Cox was living with his uncle David Lane in Birmingham and like him had become a railwayman. He married David's daughter Florence Annie in West Bromwich district in 1895. The couple were living in Edale in by the time their first child, John Wilfred, was born in 1895. John had progressed from being a vanman to a signalman. The Dore and Chinley Railway had opened to passenger traffic the previous year and John would have been working close to the eastern portal of the Cowburn Tunnel. Their second son Reginald David was born in Edale in 1898 but shortly after the Cox family moved to Sheffield where a third son, George Percy was born on 22 June 1900. The family were living at 37 James Street, close to Darnall Station, when George was baptised on 11 July that year.
In the census on 31 March 1901 the family were still at the same address in Darnall but then moved to 342 Shirland Lane, where sadly John Wilfred died at the age of 7 and was buried in Darnall Cemetery on 24 November 1903. By the beginning of 1905 the Cox family had moved again to Swinton, Rotherham where daughter Florence Louisa was born on 24 January. A second daughter, Hilda Mary, was also born in Swinton on 11 December 1907.
By the time of the 1911 Census, the Cox family had moved again to Poynton Villas, Bradway. These houses stood adjacent to the Twentywell brickyard until they were demolished in 1967. John Cox would have been working at one of Dore & Totley's signal boxes. Reginald and George, aged 12 and 10 respectively were in school but not, it would appear, at Totley.
Both sons were to enlist in the army during the Great War. Reginald's service record has partially survived. We know that he enlisted as a Private in the 85th Training Reserve Battalion and became Private number 44319 in the 1st/8th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. Reginald fought in the Third Battle of the Aisne where his Battalion was literally wiped out - it was to be their last ever battle. Reginald was taken prisoner on the first day of the battle, 27 May 1918, at Pontevert. In all, the Allied Forces had over 50,000 men captured by the enemy in just four days. Reginald was held as a prisoner of war firstly at Laon Camp and later at Dülmen and Diedenhofen. Fortunately, he was not wounded. It is not known when he returned to England. He was later awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
His younger brother George enlisted in Pontefract in October 1918 also into the Durham Light Infantry giving his civilian occupation as a porter. He was assigned army number 110610 and was first transferred to the 5th Battalion. His service record has survived but is badly faded and torn. He was transferred into the 53rd Battalion on 8 February 1919. It then appears that George embarked at Southampton on 6 April 1919 and disembarked at Antwerp two days later. George's Battalion was made up of young soldiers, none of whom had seen active service, and who were sent to Cologne as part of the Army of Occupation in Germany to replace older soldiers desperate for demobilisation. George was posted back to the UK on 22 February 1920 and was demobilized on 24 March that year.
John and Florence Annie Cox were still living at Poynton Villas after the war. John died in 1934 aged 64 and was buried at Abbey Lane Cemetery on 18 June. By 1939 several members of the Cox family were living at Lane Head, Totley: John's widow, Florence Annie at number 324 Baslow Road; daughter Florence Louisa (who had married Sydney Andrews in 1926) at number 328; and daughter Hilda Mary (who had married Walter Higginbottom in 1936) at number 322. Florence Annie later remarried, in Sheffield in 1942, to William James Frederick Overhill, a widower and retired railway signalman. They both died in 1959, she aged 85 and he aged 87.
Both Reginald and George became railwaymen like their father. Reginald married Edith Jaques at the Parish Church, Rawmarsh, Yorkshire on 16 July 1928. He had become a fireman for L.M.S. Railway and was living at Brinsworth, Rotherham. Edith was born in Rawmarsh, Yorkshire on 18 March 1903, the youngest of six children to Tom Jacques, a miner, and his wife Maria France, who had married at the same church on 7 April 1891. Reginald and Edith went on to have three children: Alan in 1930, Enid in 1935 and James in 1937. In the 1939 Register they were living at West Bawtry Road, Rotherham and Reginald had become a railway foreman. He was still at West Bawtry Road at the time of his death on 15 May 1979, aged 80.
George Cox married Freda Pearson Bingham at Wortley, Yorkshire in 1926. Freda was born at Cowley Bar, Holmesfield on 30 November 1903, the only daughter of William Joseph Bingham, a farmer, and his wife Mary Maria Pearson who married at St. Swithin's, Holmesfield on 17 April 1901. George and Freda also had one daughter, Florence, born in 1929. In the 1939 National Register, George and his family were living at 18 Newtown Avenue, Cudworth, Yorkshire and he was employed as a railway foreman. They later moved back to Bradway and were living at 37 Bradway Road at the time of George's death on 2 February 1963, aged 62. Freda died in 1982 in Barnsley aged 79.
Samuel Crookes was born in Ecclesall, Sheffield on 18 March 1896. His father was William Thomas Crookes who was born in Ecclesall on 18 November 1854, the second of four children born to Thomas Crookes, a scythe grinder, and his wife Hannah Makinson who had married at the (Cathedral) Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Sheffield on 11 April 1852. Samuel's mother was Hannah Wint who was born in Dore in 1858, the second of six children of Thomas Wint and his wife Hannah Johnson who married at St. Mary's Church, Wirksworth, Derbyshire on 23 October 1855. Thomas Wint (1836-1901) had many occupations. He was an agricultural labourer, a gardener, and later a cab proprietor at Totley Rise.
Samuel's parents had married in Ecclesall in 1880 and in the census the following year they were living at Whiteley Wood Bottom, Ecclesall. William was a scythe grinder like his father. A first child, Thomas, was born later that year to be followed by Alfred in 1885, William Henry in 1887 and Florence in 1889. In the 1891 Census, the Crookes family are recorded as living at Little Common, where many of the scythe makers working at Tyzack's Abbeydale Works were living. More children followed, Hannah in 1892 and Samuel on 8 March 1896.
Soon after Samuel's birth the family must have moved to Totley Rise. The Totley Church School registers show that three of children, William, Florence and Hannah were admitted in November 1897 having previously been pupils at Abbeydale Board School. A seventh child, Walter, was born in Totley in 1898. Samuel was admitted to Totley Church School on 7 May 1900, when he would have been aged 4. Florence left the school in May 1902, aged almost 13, to go to work but the three other Crookes scholars stayed until the following year when the family left the district.
By the time of the 1911 Census, Samuel was the only one of the surviving six children - Walter having died aged 2 - who was still living at home which was now at Occupation Lane, Hackenthorpe. Hackenthorpe, like Totley, was formerly in Derbyshire but is now in the city of Sheffield. William was employed as a scythe maker at a sickle works, presumably that of Thomas Staniforth & Co. on Main Street. Samuel, aged 15, was a scythe-back maker.
Very little is known about Samuel's military service. We think he enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers and was transferred to the Royal Army Service Corps on 13 October 1917. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal so obviously saw action overseas.
After the War, Samuel married Hilda Margetts of Ward Street, New Tupton at North Wingfield Parish Church on Christmas Eve 1920. Hilda was born in Derby on 26 August 1895, the younger daughter of Arthur George Margetts, a Midland Railway foreman, and his wife Susan Ann Tolliday who had married at South Darley, Derbyshire on 14 May 1893. Samuel and Hilda had four children: Arthur Norman in 1921, Stanley in 1923, Vera in 1927, and Raymond in 1931, all born in the Chesterfield area. Sadly, Raymond died in infancy and Stanley passed away on 4 February 1940, aged just 16.
In the 1939 Register, Samuel and Hilda and their two remaining children were living with Hilda's widowed father at 24 Queen Victoria Road, New Tupton. Samuel was employed as a builder's joiner. Hilda died in 1971 aged 76. Samuel died at 261 Nethermoor Road, Wingerworth, Derbyshire on 20 March 1979 aged 83.
In July 1944 son F/O Arthur Norman Crookes, R.A.F., was awarded the D.F.C. and, in the following month, a bar for his skills as navigator of a Mosquito night fighter responsible for shooting down twelve enemy aircraft. By August 1945, Arthur had been promoted to Flight Lieutenant, had won a second bar and had also been awarded the American D.F.C.
John Renwick Draper
John Renwick Draper, known as Rennie, was born in Sheffield in 1889. His father was Alfred Draper who was born in Sheffield on 14 September 1850, the third of five children of Edmund Draper senior, a draper and hosier, and his wife Harriet Renwick who married at Queen Street Congregational Chapel, Sheffield on 3 January 1841. Rennie's mother was Sarah Ann Hines, known as Annie, who was born in Sheffield in 1854, the first of eight children of Henry Hines junior, a cattle dealer and butcher, and his first wife Ann Anderton Warburton who married at the same Chapel on 1 February 1854. Edmund Draper Nicholls, another Totley soldier, was Rennie's cousin, once removed.
Rennie's parents married at Queen Street Chapel on 28 August 1879. Their families were not only members of the same church but during the 1870s they were neighbours at Olive Grove, East Bank. Alfred Draper had been a hardware merchant before his marriage but later became a cashier for a cattle dealer, presumably his father-in-law who was a prominent cattle buyer in local and even distant markets and chairman of Sheffield Butchers, Hide and Skin Company Limited.
Alfred and Annie's first child Constance Annie, known as Connie, was aged eight months when the Census was taken on 3 April 1881. The family were living at 275 Abbeydale Road, Sharrow and employed a domestic servant. A son, Alfred junior was born in 1882 and then Rennie was born on 17 November 1889. The Draper family were living at 179 Cemetery Road, Sharrow in the Census taken on 5 May 1891. Young Alfred evidently died in a boating accident later that year but we can find no record of his death.
In 1895 Alfred advertised for a partner to share his small hardware business which had presumably become a second source of income. In 1901 Alfred, Sarah and Rennie Draper were still living in Cemetery Road. Rennie became a member of the 3rd Company of the Sheffield Battalion of Boy's Life Brigade in his early teens. The family moved to Milton House, (22) Dore Road by the time of the 1911 census. The house had been advertised for sale in July 1907 so it is possible that the Drapers moved to our area around that time. Rennie was working for Sheffield Corporation as an assistant overseer of the poor. He was selected as a sidesman at St. John's Church in 1913 and the following year he joined the Wentworth Lodge of the Freemasons.
Connie trained as a nurse at Jessop's Hospital, Brook Hill, Sheffield and in 1911 she was living at 76 Clarkehouse Road, Broomhall with other nurses. She married Thomas Tedbar Osborne at St. John's Church, Abbeydale on 14 October 1915. Thomas was born in Doncaster in 1882, the eldest son of Thomas Osborne, a brass and iron merchant, and his wife Fanny Tinker who had married on 28 May 1879 at Norton St. James. Fanny was the eldest daughter of Tedbar Tinker, the well known farmer, land owner and brick maker of Bradway.
Rennie's war service record has not survived but we know that he enlisted as Private number 12/93 in the 2/4th Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment and was sent to Egypt on 20 December 1915 disembarking on 1 January 1916. He received his commission on 25 September 1917 and became a Lance Corporal in the 12th Regiment. He was demobilized in early 1919 and issued Silver War Badge number 245579 on 19 March 1919. He returned home to Milton House. After the war he was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal.
The family left Dore in 1922. Milton House was sold at auction for £1,600 in January and in March Alfred Draper advertised for sale a quantity of unwanted furniture and furnishings. The new family home was at 69 Whirlowdale Road, Whirlow. Alfred Draper died there on 10 March 1927 aged 76. His wife Annie died the following year on 12 January 1928. They were both buried in Sheffield General Cemetery.
Rennie continued to live in the same house for the rest of his life with a just a housekeeper. In 1929 he was made Worshipful Master of Wentworth Lodge. In 1939 he was recorded as the chief cashier in the Ratings Department of Sheffield Corporation. Rennie Draper died on 27 January 1954. He was aged 64 and unmarried.
July Meeting Cancelled
Whilst precautions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are in place, the monthly meetings of Totley History Group have been cancelled.
In the meantime, please continue to support your history group by sending us your queries, contributions and comments.
On Wednesday 22nd July, there will be a visit to Stoney Middleston to see how their Well Dressings are made. This is a private visit ahead of the public event which runs from Saturday 25th July to Sunday 2nd August. Car parking is available on the roadside. Meet at 1.30pm in the Moon Inn car park.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: