Saturday 10th March 1832 Sheffield Independent (page 2)
The Borough of Sheffield. - extract from the Boundary Act. - The several townships of Sheffield, Attercliffe, Attercliffe-cum-Darnall, Brightside Bierlow, and Nether Hallam; and also such parts of the township of Ecclesall-Bierlow as are situate on that side of the line next hereafter described on which the town of Sheffield lies; that is to say, from the point of the River Rivelin at which the boundary of the township of Upper Hallam, meets the boundary of the township of Nether Hallam, southward, along the boundary of the township of Upper Hallam to the point in Smith Wood, at which the same leaves the boundary of part of the township of Nether Hallam; thence, eastward, along the boundary of the said part of the township of Nether Hallam to the bridge on the Upper Dore Road, over the Porter Brook, near the south-eastern corner of Endcliffe Wood; thence along the Upper Dore Road to the point at which the same is joined, opposite Ecclesall Chapel, by a road which leads by Holt House into the lower road to Dore and Totley; thence along the said road from the Upper Dore Road to the earsternmost point at which the same joins the lower road to Dore and Totley; thence in a straight line to the nearest point on the river Sheaf.
Wednesday 13 June 1832 Derby Mercury (page 3)
Committed to the County Gaol since our last, Samuel Dean and Edward Connelley, charged with stealing a quantity of lead out of a Rolling Mill at Totley, the property of George Bustard Greaves, Esq, [William Shanley was also apprehended for being a confederate, but escaped from custody.]
Wednesday 11th July 1832 Derby Mercury (page 2)
Samuel Dean and Edward Connelley, two boys, were charged with stealing at Totley, a quantity of lead, the property of George Bustard Greaves, Esq.- Connelly pleaded guilty, and the indictment against Dean was fully borne out by John Bennett, agent to Mr. Greaves, who swore to the lead by several marks upon it.- Guilty.- The prisoners were reputed thieves. - Seven years transportation each.
Wednesday 18 July 1832 Derby Mercury (page 3)
Removal of Convicts
Since our last the following prisoners convicted at the late sessions for this county have been removed to the Justitia Hulk at Woolwich, where they are to remain until their several sentences of transportation can be further carried into effect, viz. Henry Barker, for life; Philip Roberts Bentley, William Falconer Good, William Spencer, James Gee, Samuel Dean, Edward Connelly, Peter Evans, and Francis Dunnicliff, for seven years each; and William Gratton, under sentence of transportation for seven years, has been removed to the Penitentiary at Milbank.
Saturday 1st December 1832 Sheffield Independent (page 3)
Sheep Stealing. - Francis Hawksworth was placed before the Magistrates, charged with stealing one ewe sheep, the property of Mr. J. Hewitt, of Totley. The prosecutor stated, that on Sunday, the 18th November, he had two ewe sheep and five lambs in a field at Totley Lane. on the following morning one of his ewes was taken away from the field in which it was made up, and footsteps were traced along the Abbey Dale Road, which were supposed to have been made by the thief. The son of the prosecutor swore that he had received from the constable a heavy shoe, which the constable said he had taken from the prisoner, and which shoe, with its various marks, nails, &c., he found to correspond exactly with the marks at his father's gate, and on the road. William Darwin, a drover living in Sheffield, said, that at half-past seven o'clock on the morning of the day of the robbery, the prisoner accosted him in Waingate, and after some conversation sold him an ewe sheep, of the quality and sort described by the prosecutor. The prisoner, in his defence, admitted that he had sold a sheep to the last witness as had been described, but in the following novel and ingenious manner, made it out to be his lawful property:- Some months ago his master, Mr. Richardson, living a few miles from the farm of the prosecutor, lost four sheep of a similar description to the one stolen, and bearing on their sides the letter H. Despairing of recovering them, he bargained with the prisoner, as he knew the animals well, and was perfectly acquainted with the country, that if he chose to employ his time in seeking for them, he should have all he recovered at ten shillings per head. Now the sheep taken from Mr. Hewitt's farm, the prisoner contended was one of the lost ones which he had been so long searching for. Mr. Richardson being called, confirmed the fact of the sheep having been stolen, and that the prisoner was promised he should have all he recovered at ten shillings per head, but he admitted the circumstances had occurred some months ago, and that he had never been informed any of the animals had been found. the man who slaughtered the sheep, described the marks upon it to be generally the same s set forth by the prosecutor, but the fleece having been consigned to the lime pit, no positive evidence of the identity of the animal could be brought forward. The Magistrate, after some consideration, ordered the prisoner to be committed to York.
Saturday 13th July 1833 Sheffield Independent (page 3)
A cricket match was played at Totley, on Monday, between eleven of Totley, and eleven of Hathersage, which terminated in favour of the latter party:-
Totley First Innings:- J. Marshall, 0; H. Watson, 0; Benjamin Wragg, 1; J. Taylor, 3; G. Ward, 9; J Marshall, 2; J. Baxby, 3; Isaac Taylor, 0; J. Taylor, 8; Benjamin Hardy, 3; Jonathan Mitchell, 0; Byes, 1; Total, 30.
Second Innings:- J. Marshall, 6; Benjamin Hardy, 6; H. Watson, 9; James Taylor, 0; Benjamin Wragg, 22; John Taylor, 0; G. Ward, 3; J. Baxby, 4; J. Marshall, 5; J. Taylor, 6; Jonathan Mitchell, 4; Byes, 2; Total, 67.
Hathersage First Innings:- J. Broomhead, 2; J. Buttery, 0; John Nuttall, 1; Thomas Hodgkinson, 23; G. Ibbotson, 0; J. Nuttall, 1; W. Rose, 1; J. Wilson, 3; C. Farnsworth, 3; M. Scott, 14; J. Hobson, 4; Byes, 2; Total, 54.
Second Innings:- J. Wilson, 29; J. Broomhead, 2; John Nuttall, 7; Thomas Hodgkinson, 6; Byes, 1; Total, 45. Hathersage winning with eight wickets to go down.
Saturday 16th August 1834 Sheffield Independent (page 3)
Cricket Match in Chatsworth Park.
On Monday se'nnight, a match of cricket was played in Chatsworth park, between the Baslow and the Dore and Totley clubs. The day was remarkably fine, and the ground in excellent condition. The playing of the Baslow band added much to the gaiety of the scene, and the spectators were very much gratified. The match was won by the Dore and Totley club, as is shewn in the following statement of the game: Baslow, first innings, 55, byes, 5. Second do. 38, byes 2. Dore and Totley, first innings, 53, byes 7. 2nd do. 39, byes, 5; and six wickets to go down.
Saturday 14th January 1837 Sheffield Independent (page 3)
Justice Room, Eckington. Thursday. - Before Sir George Sitwell, Bart., and B. B. Pegge Burnell Esq. Joseph Cowley was placed before the Bench, and charged by the Overseer of the Poor of Dronfield with having left his wife and child chargeable to that township. It was proved that Cowley was keeping a disorderly house at Chesterfield, and living in debauchery. The Magistrates convicted him as a rogue and vagabond, and sent him to the tread-mill for one month. John Fearneough, of Totley, and William Fearneough, of Sheffield, were summoned to shew cause why there should not be an order made upon them to maintain their mother, who is chargeable to the township of Dore. They were ordered to contribute two shillings weekly towards her support.
Saturday 12th August 1837 Sheffield Independent (page 3)
George Stacey, of Sheffield, higler, was charged with having stolen a leather cart-bellyband, from the premises of Samuel Biggin, of Totley, victualler. The bellyband was owned by Mr. Biggin upon the prisoner's cart; but the latter clearly proving that he had bought it of a second person, and the case being of trivial importance, the Magistrates allowed the parties to compromise, by paying all expenses, amount to £2 4s.
Saturday 21 October 1837 York Herald (page 4)
Appeals: Craike v Easingwold.
Mr. Bliss was for the appellant, and Mr. Blanshard for the respondent township. This was a question of settlement as to which parish Ann Mountain, and her three children, belonged. After two or three points of law and practice, of no public interest, had been decided, the merits of the case were gone into. On the part of the appellant, the pauper's uncle, Edward Mountain, was called who stated that he resided at Easingwold, and had done so for 40 years. He remembered his nephew (who was now dead) going to Craike; on his return, he went to his father at Easingwold, to learn the trade of shoemaker. He worked there three or four years, during which period he went out occasionally to the hay-field, and harvest. He was ballotted at the militia, and witness hired a substitute for him. - James May, shoemaker, at Easingwold, spoke to the pauper having worked with him about a year, in 1831; but Mr Bliss, after this, stated that he could not establish the fact of a contract or hiring to gain a settlement in Easingwold. Mr Blanshard submitted that the appeal should be dismissed with costs, the appellant's case being one of the most flimsy and vexatious nature.- Mr Bliss observed that the appeal was brought with the sanction of the Board of Guardians for the Easingwold Union; and Mr. Walker, a Guardian, having proved this fact, the Bench agreed that the appellant should not be called upon to pay respondent's costs. - Mr Bliss then applied for case, on which to discuss the points of law raised, in the superior Courts, but this was refused by a majority of magistrates.
Saturday 10th November 1838 Sheffield Independent (page 5)
Justice Room, Hemsworth - George Greaves, of High-house, near Sheffield, was convicted, on the information of Geo. Hodgkinson, of Totley Hall, in 20s. penalty, including costs, for refusing to give the names of two of his servants, who were riding on their carts, loaded with lime, at Totley.
Saturday, 23rd February 1839 Derbyshire Courier, Chesterfield Gazette and General County Advertiser (page 2)
Totley Intended Inclosure.
The Proprietors of Estates with the Manor or Township of Totley, in the parish of Dronfield, in the county of Derby, are requested to meet at the School House, in Totley aforesaid, on Wednesday, the 6th day of March next, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon, when and where a Bill for Enclosing the several Heaths, Commonable Lands, Commons, and Waste Grounds, within the said Manor or Township, and dividing and allotting the same unto and amongst the said Proprietors, according to their Estates, Rights, and Interests, Will Be Produced and Read; and when and where all persons interested are desired to attend. By order, Henry Waterfall, Solicitor. Sheffield. Feb 22nd, 1839.
Friday 7th June 1839 Stamford Mercury (page 2)
Imperial Parliament [extract]
Tuesday, June 4.
The Royal Assent was given, by commission, to.. [list]..the Totley and Dronfield Inclosure Bill...etc.
Saturday 20th July 1839 Derbyshire Courier and Chesterfield Gazette (page 2)
We the undersigned, George Clark, of Barnby Moor, in the county of Nottingham, gentleman, and John Wright, of Romeley, in the county of Derby, gentleman, the Commissioners named and appointed in and by an Act of Parliament lately passed for Inclosing Lands in the Manor and Township of Totley, in the parish of Dronfield, in the county of Derby, hereby give Notice that we shall hold our first Meeting for carrying the said Act into execution, at the School Room in Totley aforesaid, on Wednesday, the thirty-first day of July instant, at ten o'clock in the forenoon, when it is intended that the Proprietors present shall appoint a Banker, or such other person or persons as they shall think proper, to receive the money to be raised under and by virtue of the powers contained in the said Act, and at which meeting all persons having or claiming any Right or Interest in the Commons and Waste Grounds in the said Manor and Township of Totley, are to deliver to us an account or schedule, in writing, signed by them or their respective Husbands, Guardians, Trustees, Committees, or Agents, of such their respective rights or claims, and therein describe the respective Messuages, Lands, Tenements and Hereditaments, in respect whereof they shall respectively claim to be entitled to any, and which, of such rights, with the name or names of the person or persons in the actual possession thereof, and the particular computed quantities of the same respectively, and of what nature and extent such right is; and also in what rights and for what estates and interests they claim the same, respectively distinguishing the Freehold from the Copyhold or Leasehold. Given under our hands the 15th day of July, 1839.
On Wednesday 23 June you are invited to take part in a new two mile history walk around Totley in the company of Pauline Burnett and other members of the Totley History Group committee. Strong shoes and suitable clothing should be worn. Dogs are welcome, on leads please. Meet at the Cross Scythes Hotel, Baslow Road for a 2 p.m. start. The walk will be repeated at the same time on Sunday 27 June. Non-members are welcome.
After Penny Rea’s talk, in February, about the Zion Graveyard in Attercliffe a number of people expressed an interest in visiting the cemetery. This visit has now been arranged for Sunday, 25 July at 2pm. The graveyard is the final resting place of pioneering anti-slavery campaigner Mary Anne Rawson (1801-1887), as well as a number of the City's early industrialists and influential non-conformist Christian radicals. If you are coming by car, there is a free car park opposite Ace Janitorial (694 Attercliffe Road, S9 3RP) which is close by. If you are travelling by public transport, use the X1 bus and alight near Staniforth Road or opposite the English Institute of Sport. Non-members are welcome.
Pauline Burnett's book The Rise of Totley Rise has been revised and updated. It tells the story of this small piece of land from 1875 when there was only a rolling mill and chemical yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, through Victorian and Edwardian times, two world wars and up to the present day. It has 94 pages including a useful index and many illustrations from private collections. The book is available now from Totley Rise Post Office priced at £5, or through our website when an additional charge will be made to cover packing and postage.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
We have transcribed the baptisms records at St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale from when the church was consecrated in 1876 until just after the start of World War 1. The records are arranged in alphabetical order based upon the child's name and show the date of baptism, the names of the parents, their home location and occupation.
Nick Kuhn bought an original 1920s poster which had this owners' blind stamp in one corner. The stamp almost certainly refers to a house named Wigmore that was built in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The first occupiers that we can trace are John Howarth Caine, a district mineral agent for the LNER, his wife Florence Jane (nee Prince) and daughter Doris Mary. The Caine family lived at Wigmore until 1936 by which time the house would have been known simply as 12 The Quandrant.
George Griffiths died on 13 December 1888 following an explosion during the sinking of number 3 airshaft at Totley Bents. His widow Florence died shortly afterwards and his two daughters Maud and Annie were adopted separately. Whilst Annie lived the rest of her life in Yorkshire, Maud emigrated to Australia in 1923 with her husband, John Burrows, daughter Margaret and son Jack, pictured above.
George Wainwright was said to have been born in Bamford, Derbyshire in 1714. He learned the trade of linen weaving and moved to Totley after his marriage on 1744. He became an ardent follower of John Wesley who paid many visits to Sheffield and who would have passed through or close to Totley. Preaching was at first conducted out of doors and when Wesley's preachers became harassed by a mob of Totley ruffians in 1760, George offered them safety of his own home. He remained a Methodist for all of his long life, dying in Dore in 1821 at the reputed age of 107.
Oakwood School was started by Mrs Phoebe Holroyd in 1925 initially as the Firth Park Kindergarten and, by 1927, as the Firth Park Preparatory School. Phoebe was still working at the school almost fifty years later when she was well into her seventies. We would like to hear from anyone with memories of the school.
James Curtis was born at sea aboard HMS Chichester in 1790. He enlisted as a Private in the 1st Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in Sheffield in 1812 and served in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He later fought in France and Belgium taking part in the Battle of Waterloo. In later life James lived at the Cricket Inn where his son-in-law William Anthony was the licensed victualler. He died in Heeley in 1882 aged about 91.
Charles Paul lived in Totley in later life. He was a local historian and archaeologist who was an authority on the history of Sheffield, especially the two areas he knew best: Attercliffe and Ecclesall. His books and letters to local newspapers were published under the Latin form of his name Carolus Paulus.
Towards the end of the 19th century Totley Hall gardens became a well known beauty spot that attracted many hundreds of visitors from Sheffield on open days and the rock gardens became one of its most popular features. Mrs Annie Charlesworth sent us six glass transparencies of the rock gardens taken, we believe, in the early years following the Great War.
Anton Rodgers send us photographs of three water-colours that had been bought by his grandfather at a sale of the contents of Abbeydale Hall in 1919. One was of a scene said to be in York by A. Wilson. A second was of a seated child with a dog believed to be pianted by Juliana Russell (1841-1898). The third was of Lake Como, by Ainslie Hodson Bean (1851-1918) who lived for much of his life on the Riviera and in North Italy.
A Canadian correspondent sent us photographs of a set of silver spoons that were bought in a small town in British Columbia. The case contained a note signed by Ebenezer Hall indicating that they were a wedding gift to Maurice and Fanny Housley. We think we may have traced how they got to Canada and where they might have been since.
Green Oak Park was opened on 23 March 1929 on land that had been bought by Norton District Council from John Thomas Carr, a farmer and smallholder of Mona Villas. In later years, the buildings were used by the Bowling Club (the green having been built in 1956) and by the park keeper. However, the buildings appear to have been constructed in several phases, the oldest of which predates the park to the time when the land was used for pasture.
We believe the old Totley Police Station at 331 Baslow Road was built around 1882. Two lock-up cells were excavated just below floor level in the summer of 1890. We have traced the Derbyshire Constabulary police officers who lived there from John Burford in 1886 to George Thomas Wood who was there when Totley was absorbed into Sheffield in 1934.
David Stanley lived in Totley Rise in the later years of his life. Born in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, he joined the 17th Lancers when he was 19 and rode in the Charge of The Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava where he was seriously wounded. For the first reunion of veterans in 1875, he told his story to a reporter from the Buxton Herald.
This picture postcard was addressed to Miss Abell, Holly Dene, Totley Brook Road and posted in Rotherham on 10 December 1907. Edith Annie Abell was born on 4 February 1887 in Sheffield and her family came to live in our area in the 1900s, staying for the rest of their lives.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: