ADLINGTON, Wendy Patricia Joy (f) of 25 The Grove, b. Oct 29 1936, bap. Dec 6 1936, roll 1
ASHTON, Pamela Mary (f) of Main Avenue, b. Apr 22 1937, bap. May 23 1937, roll 1
BAILLIE, Derek Graham (m) of 44 Mickley Lane, b. Dec 15 1933, bap. Jan 21 1934, roll 1
BEETON, John Niel (m) of 4 Laverdene Close, b. Dec 16 1938, bap. Feb 26 1939, roll 1
BELLAMY, Gordon (m) of 4 Lemont Road, b. Jan 31 1934, bap. Feb 25 1934, roll 1
BELLAMY, Michael (m) of 4 Lemont Road, b. Sep 7 1932, bap. Oct 2 1932, roll 1
BETTS, Ann Georgina (f) of 44 Queen Victoria Road, b. Mar 24 1937, bap. Apr 25 1937, roll 2
BIGGIN, Philip Adrian (m) of 57 Meadow Grove, b. Jun 4 1939, bap. Jul 2 1939, roll 2
BOOTH, John Ronald (m) of 30 Laverdene Avenue, b. Jan 13 1939, bap. Feb 5 1939, roll 2
BRIGHTLY, John Dawson (m) of 13 The Grove, b. Mar 17 1936, bap. May 24 1936, roll 1
BROOMHEAD, Michael (m) of 8 Laverdene Drive, b. Sep 18 1937, bap. Oct 17 1937, roll 1
BROWN, Barbara (f) of 25 Glover Road, b. Oct 19 1933, bap. Nov 19 1933, roll 1
BROWN, Jean (f) of 23 Marstone Crescent, b. Oct 24 1936, bap. Nov 22 1936, roll 1
BROWN, John Kevin (m) of 50 Aldam Road, b. Feb 18 1937, bap. Mar 21 1937, roll 1
CHESTER, Geoffrey Vivian (m) of The Grove, b. Mar 11 1928, bap. Apr 8 1928, roll 1
COATES, Betty (f) of 315 Baslow Road, b. May 9 1935, bap. Jun 5 1935, roll 1
COATES, Evelyn Rene (f) of Totley Rise, b. Jul 14 1926, roll 1
COATES, Jean (f) of 315 Baslow Road, b. Mar 22 1932, bap. Apr 27 1932, roll 1
CODD, Philip Johnson (m) of 67 Mickley Lane, b. Jan 27 1938, bap. Apr 3 1938, roll 1
COOK, Margaret Rose (f) of 22 Lemont Road, b. Apr 21 1931, bap. Jun 14 1931, roll 1
COOK, William Maurice (m) of 23 Lemont Road, b. Jun 7 1936, bap. Aug 9 1936, roll 1
COOPER, Ivan William (m) of 33 Baslow Road, b. Oct 28 1937, bap. Dec 15 1937, roll 1
CRESWICK, Jean (f) of Bents Cottage, b. May 23 1932, bap. Sep 21 1932, roll 1
CRESWICK, Patricia (f) of Cannon Hall Farm, b. Apr 6 1935, bap. Apr 21 1935, roll 1
CROOKES, Shirley Anne (f) of 47 Meadow Grove, b. Mar 1 1938, bap. Mar 27 1938, roll 1
DAVIS, Judith Isabel (f) of 29 Marstone Crescent, b. Oct 17 1938, bap. Dec 11 1938, roll 2
DRONFIELD, Della (f) of Hillfoot, b. Feb 14 1927, roll 1
DRONFIELD, Winifred (f) of Hillfoot Road, b. Aug 4 1930, bap. Sep 21 1930, roll 1
EATON, Sadie Jervis (f) of 204 Baslow Road, b. Oct 5 1931, bap. Nov 1 1931, roll 1
ENGLISH, Margaret Anne (f) of 3 Meadow Grove, b. May 5 1933, bap. May 28 1933, roll 1
FLANAGAN, Violet Charlotte (f) of 81 Baslow Road, b. Aug 15 1928, bap. Aug 6 1931, roll 1
FLEMING, Helen Elizabeth (f) of 7 Laverdene Drive, b. Aug 6 1935, bap. Sep 1 1935, roll 1
FORD, Ellis Trevor (m) of Cannon Hall Cottage, b. Sep 12 1938, bap. Oct 9 1938, roll 2
FORD, Joan (f) of 160 Alexandra Road, Heeley, b. Sep 2 1934, bap. Oct 14 1934, roll 1
FOSTER, John Raymond (m) of 17 Glover Road, b. Jan 11 1933, bap. Feb 19 1933, roll 1
FOULSTONE, Michael Sydney (m) of Main Avenue, b. Apr 18 1928, bap. May 20 1928, roll 1
FRANCIS, David Harry (m) of 19 The Quadrant, b. Jun 9 1939, bap. Jul 16 1939, roll 2
GAMES, Graham Andrew Crawshaw (m) of 53 Main Avenue, b. Nov 8 1938, bap. Jan 1 1939, roll 2
GILL, Irvin Edgar (m) of 5 Shrewsbury Terrace, b. Mar 21 1935, bap. Apr 25 1935, roll 1
GILL, Joan (f) of 5 Shrewsbury Terrace, b. Jul 4 1928, bap. Jul 31 1934, roll 1
GREENE, Patricia (f) of 36a The Quadrant, b. May 6 1933, bap. Jun 30 1933, roll 1
GROCUDER, Wilfred Anthony (m) of 16 Marstone Crescent, b. Jun 21 1939, bap. Aug 6 1939, roll 2
HANCOCK, George Eric (m) of 12 Glover Road, b. Mar 24 1940, bap. Apr 21 1940, roll 2
HARRISON, James Edward (m) of Heatherfield, b. Apr 11 1931, bap. Jun 14 1931, roll 1
HARRISON, Jane Maureen (f) of 45 Sunnyvale Road, b. Aug 29 1936, bap. Nov 15 1936, roll 1
HARVEY, Ronald Edward (m) of 16 Aldam Road, b. Nov 2 1935, bap. Dec 1 1935, roll 1
HAWLEY, Gordon Keith (m) of 15 Greenoak Road, b. Jun 14 1934, bap. Jul 15 1934, roll 1
HEARNSHAW, Audrey (f) of 34 Glover Road, b. Jun 8 1934, bap. Jul 8 1934, roll 1
HIGGOT, Brian (m) of 27 Lemont Road, b. Apr 29 1933, bap. May 14 1933, roll 1
HIGGOTT, Barry William (m) of 333 Baslow Road, b. Mar 28 1937, bap. Apr 20 1937, roll 2
HOLDING, John David (m) of 38 The Grove, b. Jan 28 1936, bap. Feb 21 1936, roll 1
HOWARD, June Ann (f) of Cannon Hall Farm, b. Jun 1 1937, bap. Jun 27 1937, roll 2
HOWARTH, Derek (m) of Cannon Hall Farm, b. May 15 1935, bap. Jun 5 1935, roll 1
HOWARTH, Joyce (f) of Cannon Hall Farm, b. Sep 16 1939, bap. Oct 15 1939, roll 2
HOYLAND, Elizabeth Anne (f) of 32 Lemont Road, b. Oct 20 1934, bap. Nov 18 1934, roll 1
HOYLAND, Patricia Marion (f) of Hillfoot Road, b. May 14 1938, bap. Jun 12 1938, roll 2
HUNT, Christopher Richard (m) of 97 Greenoak Road, b. Jun 28 1940, bap. Sep 1 1940, roll 2
HUNT, John Anthony (m) of 23 Glover Road, b. Jul 30 1935, bap. Aug 25 1935, roll 1
HUTCHINGS, Michael Thomas (m) of 185 Baslow Road, b. Mar 31 1937, bap. Apr 23 1937, roll 1
ISON, William Keartland (m) of 43 The Grove, b. Jul 3 1931, bap. Oct 4 1931, roll 1
JACKSON, Peter William Henry (m) of 6 The Grove, b. Apr 14 1932, bap. Jan 15 1933, roll 1
JACKSON, Ronald Gordon (m) b. Apr 8 1928, bap. Apr 29 1928, roll 1
JOHNSON, Dorrie (f) of 22 The Grove, b. Feb 9 1936, bap. Mar 15 1936, roll 1
JOHNSON, Grace Alice (f) of Grange Terrace, b. Mar 30 1929, bap. Apr 14 1929, roll 1
JOHNSON, Henry George (m) of 22 The Grove, b. Jun 9 1933, bap. Jul 23 1933, roll 1
JOHNSON, John (m) of 330 Baslow Road, b. Mar 24 1935, bap. May 26 1935, roll 1
JOHNSON, Robert (m) of 330 Baslow Road, b. Jul 2 1931, bap. Aug 2 1931, roll 1
KIRBY, Kathleen Margaret Ann (f) of Townhead Farm, b. Apr 25 1931, bap. May 17 1931, roll 1
KIRBY, Patricia Christine (f) of Townhead Farm, b. May 22 1933, bap. Jun 11 1933, roll 1
KIRBY, Sylvia Irene (f) of Townhead Farm, b. Aug 10 1928, bap. Aug 26 1928, roll 1
KIRKBY, Maureen (f) of 16 Bushywood Road, b. Mar 26 1940, bap. May 12 1940, roll 2
KIRKMAN, David John (m) of Main Avenue, b. Oct 26 1934, bap. Dec 9 1934, roll 1
LAWRENCE, Barbara Ann (f) of 34 Mickley Lane, b. Jan 2 1934, bap. Feb 25 1934, roll 1
LEVICK, Maureen Gloria (f) of 30 Mickley Lane, b. Jul 21 1939, bap. Aug 20 1939, roll 2
MACDONALD, Ann (f) of 15 Main Avenue, b. Mar 18 1939, bap. Sep 24 1939, roll 2
MAPPIN, Kenneth Terry (m) of 31 Lemont Road, b. Apr 5 1935, bap. Apr 27 1935, roll 1
MARCROFT, Brian Donald Scott (m) of 1 Marstone Crescent, b. Dec 5 1940, bap. Jan 5 1941, roll 2
MARCROFT, John Scott (m) of 1 Marstone Crescent, b. Jan 13 1938, bap. Mar 13 1938, roll 1
MARSH, George Basil (m) of Lemont Road, b. Nov 16 1930, bap. Dec 29 1930, roll 1
MARSH, Harold (m) b. Jan 7 1927, bap. Jan 26 1927, roll 1
MARSH, John Thorley (m) of Mona Villas, Lemont Road, b. Sep 30 1928, bap. Oct 28 1928, roll 1
MARSH, Margaret Elizabeth (f) b. Oct 17 1930, bap. Nov 7 1930, roll 1
MARSHALL, Jacqueline Mary (f) of Kendal, Heatherfield, b. Jul 6 1930, bap. Aug 21 1930, roll 1
MARSHALL, Jean Ann (f) of Kendal, The Grove, b. Jul 26 1928, bap. Aug 26 1928, roll 1
MATHER, Dorothy Winifred (f) of Totley Rise, b. Feb 11 1929, bap. Mar 3 1929, roll 1
MATHER, June Mary (f) of Totley Rise, b. May 1 1933, bap. Jun 11 1933, roll 1
MATHER, Samuel Vernon (m) of Totley Rise, b. Jan 31 1931, bap. Feb 22 1931, roll 1
MOON, Robert Burnett (m) of 23 The Quadrant, b. Aug 5 1933, bap. Sep 16 1933, roll 1
MORRIS, Jill Anne Bowen (f) of 204 Baslow Road, b. Jan 24 1939, bap. Apr 9 1939, roll 2
MORTON, Peter James (m) of 192 Baslow Road, b. Feb 16 1938, bap. Mar 20 1938, roll 1
MYERS, Barbara (f) of 23 Main Avenue, b. Jan 17 1935, bap. Feb 10 1935, roll 1
OGDEN, Pamela Anne (f) of 103 Greenoak Road, b. Dec 20 1939, bap. Jan 21 1940, roll 1
OLLEREARNSHAW, Christine Annette (f) of 54 Victoria Road, b. Apr 14 1938, bap. Jun 19 1938, roll 2
OSBORNE, Virginia Francis (f) of 192 Baslow Road, b. Apr 16 1940, bap. Jul 7 1940, roll 2
OTTER, Marjorie (f) of Hillfoot Road, b. Jan 15 1941, bap. Feb 15 1941, roll 2
PALMER, Peter Ian (m) of 56 Sunnyvale Road, b. Mar 31 1938, bap. Apr 17 1938, roll 2
PEARSON, George Eric (m) of 40 Victoria Road, b. Jul 5 1936, bap. Sep 26 1936, roll 2
PEARSON, George Raymond (m) of 12 The Green, b. Dec 10 1931, bap. Feb 24 1932, roll 1
PEARSON, John Mitchal (m) of St. George's Farm, b. Aug 26 1938, bap. Dec 15 1938, roll 2
PEARSON, Margaret Mary (f) of 12 The Green, b. Feb 20 1933, bap. Apr 29 1933, roll 1
PEARSON, Pamela (f) of 30 Lemont Road, b. Apr 3 1937, bap. May 16 1937, roll 1
PHILLIPS, David Charles (m) of 8 Aldam Road, b. Mar 22 1938, bap. May 4 1938, roll 2
PHILLIPS, John Arthur (m) of 8 Aldam Road, b. Dec 9 1939, bap. Mar 3 1940, roll 1
PICKFORD, Richard Hill (m) b. Mar 21 1933, roll 1
PIGGOTT, Pamela Mary (f) of 46 The Grove, b. Feb 3 1932, bap. Mar 20 1932, roll 1
PORTWAY, Barbara Wendy (f) of 33 Mickley Lane, b. Feb 2 1937, bap. Mar 6 1937, roll 1
RAIL, Joyce (f) of 53 Sunnyvale Road, b. Jan 5 1938, bap. Nov 27 1938, roll 1
REYNOLDS, Carole (f) of 363 Baslow Road, b. Sep 14 1937, bap. Oct 3 1937, roll 1
REYNOLDS, Keith (m) of 363 Baslow Road, b. Mar 21 1936, bap. Apr 5 1936, roll 1
RHODEN, Pamela Thornton (f) of 50 Glover Road, b. Aug 23 1932, bap. Sep 18 1932, roll 1
RICHARDSON, Gillian Mary (f) of 54 Sunnyvale Road, b. Jun 22 1937, bap. Aug 8 1937, roll 1
RICHARDSON, Valerie Constance (f) of 51 Meadow Grove, b. Feb 3 1940, bap. Mar 24 1940, roll 2
ROBINSON, Christine Mary (f) of 21 Marstone Crescent, b. Mar 4 1941, bap. Apr 13 1941, roll 2
ROBINSON, Pamela Margaret (f) of 186 Baslow Road, b. Jun 23 1940, bap. Aug 25 1940, roll 2
ROBINSON, Stephen Clifford (m) of Moss Cottage, b. Sep 28 1930, bap. Oct 26 1930, roll 1
ROE, Jessie Mary (f) of 6 Lemont Road, b. Jan 13 1933, bap. Feb 5 1933, roll 1
ROE, Patricia Ann (f) of 6 Lemont Road, b. Dec 25 1940, bap. Jan 19 1941, roll 2
ROEBUCK, Betty (f) of Penny Lane, b. Aug 9 1932, bap. Sep 18 1932, roll 1
ROSE, Carol Ann (f) of 17 Glover Road, b. Aug 27 1938, bap. Sep 11 1938, roll 2
ROSE, Robert Arthur (m) of 17 Glover Road, b. Jun 16 1935, bap. Jul 14 1935, roll 1
RUSSELL, Audrey (f) of Northwest Cottage, Totley Rise, b. Aug 29 1936, bap. Sep 15 1936, roll 1
SALTER, Joan (f) of 1 Chapel Walk, b. Mar 30 1939, bap. May 21 1939, roll 2
SANDERSON, John (m) of 60 The Grove, b. Jun 13 1935, bap. Aug 25 1935, roll 1
SANTRY, Gloria Mary (f) of 10 Laverdene Road, b. Oct 20 1934, bap. Nov 18 1934, roll 1
SCOTT, Shirley of 170 Baslow Road, b. May 20 1934, bap. Jun 17 1934, roll 1
SHELDON, Sylvia Beatrice (f) of 3 Shrewsbury Terrace, b. Jul 13 1937, bap. Aug 8 1937, roll 2
SHELTON, Terry Antony (m) of 30 Main Avenue, b. Dec 18 1933, bap. Jan 28 1934, roll 1
SIMPSON, Brian (m) of 28 Greenoak Road, b. Jan 5 1934, bap. Feb 25 1934, roll 1
SIMPSON, Patricia (f) of 54 Mickley Lane, b. Jan 26 1939, bap. Apr 30 1939, roll 2
SINDLE, Elizabeth Mary Winn (f) of Main Avenue, b. Oct 10 1939, bap. Dec 8 1939, roll 2
SMITH, Beryl Anne (f) of 4 Laverdene Avenue, b. Feb 5 1933, bap. Mar 18 1933, roll 1
SMITH, Graham Brookes (m) of 1 Rowan Tree Dell, b. Mar 10 1940, bap. Apr 10 1940, roll 2
SMITH, Joan Molly (f) of 4 Laverdene Avenue, b. Apr 22 1935, bap. Jun 2 1935, roll 1
SOUTH, Douglas William (m) of 52 Laverdene Avenue, b. Jan 6 1938, bap. Jan 28 1938, roll 1
STIRGESS, Richard William Neil (m) of 49 Meadow Grove, b. Feb 20 1938, bap. May 29 1938, roll 2
STOCKS, Christine Ann (f) of 14 Laverdene Avenue, b. Sep 29 1939, bap. Oct 15 1939, roll 2
STOKES, Rosemary Jocelyn (f) of Heath Cottage, Heatherfield, b. Oct 11 1930, bap. Nov 8 1930, roll 1
SWAN, Yvonne (f) of Moor View, Baslow Road, b. Aug 15 1930, bap. Oct 18 1930, roll 1
SWANN, Shirley of 74 Totley Brook Road, b. Jan 11 1934, bap. Mar 31 1934, roll 1
SYKES, John Eric (m) of 47 The Grove, b. May 22 1936, bap. Jul 19 1936, roll 1
TAYLOR, Alastair Graham (m) of 31 Marstone Crescent, b. Oct 12 1940, bap. Dec 8 1940, roll 2
TAYLOR, Audrey Thelma (f) of Summer Lane, b. Apr 6 1930, bap. May 4 1930, roll 1
TAYLOR, Brenda Mary (f) of 4 Summer Lane, b. Apr 23 1938, bap. May 29 1938, roll 2
TAYLOR, Eric (m) of Grove Avenue, b. May 15 1931, bap. Jun 15 1931, roll 1
TAYLOR, Ian Frank (m) of 58 Sunnyvale Road, b. Aug 29 1936, bap. Sep 15 1936, roll 1
TAYLOR, Ivor John (m) of 9 Summer Lane, b. Feb 7 1940, bap. Mar 10 1940, roll 2
TAYLOR, Pamela June (f) of 58 Sunnyvale Road, b. May 29 1933, bap. Jul 6 1933, roll 1
TEAGLE, Patricia (f) of Ingleby, Greenoak, b. Apr 2 1929, bap. Sep 29 1929, roll 1
THOMAS, Barry (m) of 39 Sunnyvale Road, b. Jun 6 1937, bap. Jul 11 1937, roll 1
THORPE, Pamela Mary (f) of Sefton, The Green, b. Nov 24 1929, bap. Jan 30 1930, roll 1
TURNER, John David (m) of 46 Sunnyvale Road, b. Feb 1 1941, bap. Mar 23 1941, roll 2
VERE, John Gurney (m) of 12 Laverdene Drive, b. Feb 19 1935, bap. Mar 24 1935, roll 1
WADLAND, John Michael (m) of Glenroyd, Heatherfield, b. May 9 1933, bap. May 28 1933, roll 1
WARD, Carole Constance (f) of 112 Baslow Road, b. Sep 24 1937, bap. Nov 14 1937, roll 2
WARD, Mary Geraldine (f) of 48 Meadow Grove, b. Sep 5 1935, bap. Dec 15 1935, roll 1
WATSON, Barrie (m) of 46 Mickley Lane, b. Apr 21 1940, bap. May 12 1940, roll 2
WEBSTER, Gillian Rosemary (f) of 54 The Grove, b. May 9 1935, bap. Nov 8 1936, roll 1
WESTERN, Michael Stuart (m) of 325 Baslow Road, b. Jun 14 1937, bap. Aug 1 1937, roll 1
WHEAT, John Barry (m) of 104 Totley Brook Road, b. Apr 12 1937, bap. May 9 1937, roll 1
WICKENS, Margaret Christine (f) of Haslemere, Main Avenue, b. Dec 10 1933, bap. Apr 1 1934, roll 1
WILD, John Gordon (m) of 19 Mickley Lane, b. May 25 1939, bap. Jun 25 1939, roll 2
WILD, Sidney Walter (m) of The Cottage, Totley Grove, b. Jul 27 1932, bap. Sep 4 1932, roll 1
WILKES, Jeremy Kenneth Arthur (m) of 329 Baslow Road, b. Jun 11 1940, bap. Sep 15 1940, roll 2
WILKES, John Graham (m) of 329 Baslow Road, b. Apr 15 1936, bap. Jun 14 1936, roll 1
WILKES, Norma Patricia (f) of 329 Baslow Road, b. Apr 4 1932, bap. Oct 16 1932, roll 1
WILKINSON, Marjorie Ethel (f) of Totley Grove Cottage, b. Feb 10 1937, bap. Mar 3 1937, roll 1
WILSON, June Ann (f) of 208 Baslow Road, b. Jun 24 1936, bap. Jul 19 1936, roll 1
WORTLEY, John Donald (m) of 92 Greenoak Road, b. Mar 8 1940, bap. Apr 14 1940, roll 2
WRIGHT, Keith (m) of 3 Shrewsbury Terrace, b. Aug 17 1932, bap. Sep 25 1932, roll 1
Our email address for comments, queries and contributions is: contactus@totleyhistory group.org.uk.
On Wednesday, 15th December you are invited to a special Christmas meeting looking at Totley's Past in Photographs, accompanied by mince pies and a chance to chat. Although we have a large collection of photographs to show you from Totley's past, we are always on the lookout for more. Relatively few of our photos date from the 1930s, 40s and 50s when many families had their own camera and consequently picture postcards became less popular. We will have a portable image scanner with us, so please bring along any old photos of Totley or Totleyites that you are willing to share with us. In Totley Library, beginning at 7.30 p.m. Everyone welcome. To maintain social distancing, numbers may have to be restricted, so if you wish to attend would you please advise us by emailing secretary @totley historygroup.org.uk
Our first meeting of the New Year will be on Wednesday, 26th January when we welcome back David Templeman who will focus upon some of Sheffield’s oldest suburbs, in some cases dating back over a thousand years. Exploring familiar places including Attercliffe, Darnall, Heeley, Fulwood, and Crookes, David will guide us through the centuries revealing the interesting origins and fascinating facts behind many of the places that we recognise as household names. The meeting is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m.
On Wednesday 25th February Ian Alcock will tell us about The History of Book-toys: books with movable pages which pop-up, pull-out, slide or otherwise transform into changeable or three-dimensional scenes. Such novelty books date from the 13th century and were initially applied to scholarly works intended for an adult audience. It was not until the 18th century that the same techniques were used on books designed for entertainment, especially for children. The first true children's pop-up books with pictures that can be viewed from a full 360 degrees date only from the early 1930s. Antique and vintage movable books, in good condition, are extremely collectable and can command huge prices. The meeting is in Totley Library, beginning at 7.30pm.
Pauline Burnett's book The Rise of Totley Rise has been revised and updated. It tells the story of this small piece of land from 1875 when there was only a rolling mill and chemical yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, through Victorian and Edwardian times, two world wars and up to the present day. It has 94 pages including a useful index and many illustrations from private collections. The book is available now from Totley Rise Post Office priced at £5, or through our website when an additional charge will be made to cover packing and postage.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website. Further information about the correspondence is in this inside page of our website: Dore & Totley Minesweeping Trawlers Comforts Fund.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
We are very grateful to Mrs Valerie Taylor of Dore for lending us the title deeds to Lower Bents Farmhouse which is reputed to be the oldest surviving building in the area with a proven history back to 1621. We have now scanned and transcribed the deeds which could be particularly interesting to anyone with a connection to the local Fisher, Dalton and Marshall Families.
Until 1844, when Dore Christ Church parish was created, Totley township was part of Dronfield parish. We have now transcribed the burial records for former Totley residents at St. John the Baptist, Dronfield for the period 1678-1870 and at St. Swithin, Holmesfield for the period 1766-1901.
Whilst researching the history of the Dalton Family we found it useful to transcribe a number of early Wills and Inventories. These and those of many other Totley, Dore and Holmesfield people dating from between 1594 and 1856 have now been added to our website.
St. Swithin's Church, Holmesfield pre-dates Dore Christ Church and was the place where many of the people from Totley worshipped and were baptised, married and buried. Read the inscriptions on more than 750 gravestones in the churchyard including those of Mr. and Mrs. William Aldam Milner of Totley Hall, Jessie Matilda Tyzack (nee Fisher) of Avenue Farm, and Rev. J. A. Kerfoot of St. John's, Abbeydale.
Thomas Youdan was a music hall proprietor and benefactor who was living at Grove House, Totley in 1867 when he sponsored the first football knockout competition in the world for The Youdan Cup.
The words Millhouses Cricket Club can be seen in the background of team photos which are likely to date from between 1905 and the early 1920s, very probably pre-war. They were lent to us by Garth Inman who can identify his great uncle, Cecil Inman, in some of the photos and would like to know when they were taken and, if possible, the names of others present. Please take a look to see whether you can put names to any of the faces.
Josiah Hibberd was seriously injured whilst working on the construction of the Totley Tunnel in 1892. He died on 9 May 1897 at the age of 38 having apparently spent most of previous five years in hospital.
Bradway House was built around 1832 by Henry Greaves, a farmer, together with two adjacent cottages. We have traced most of the occupants of the property from these early days up to the start of World War Two.
We have transcribed the baptisms records at St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale from when the church was consecrated in 1876 until just after the start of World War 1. The records are arranged in alphabetical order based upon the child's name and show the date of baptism, the names of the parents, their home location and occupation.
Nick Kuhn bought an original 1920s poster which had this owners' blind stamp in one corner. The stamp almost certainly refers to a house named Wigmore that was built in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The first occupiers that we can trace are John Howarth Caine, a district mineral agent for the LNER, his wife Florence Jane (nee Prince) and daughter Doris Mary. The Caine family lived at Wigmore until 1936 by which time the house would have been known simply as 12 The Quandrant.
George Griffiths died on 13 December 1888 following an explosion during the sinking of number 3 airshaft at Totley Bents. His widow Florence died shortly afterwards and his two daughters Maud and Annie were adopted separately. Whilst Annie lived the rest of her life in Yorkshire, Maud emigrated to Australia in 1923 with her husband, John Burrows, daughter Margaret and son Jack, pictured above.
George Wainwright was said to have been born in Bamford, Derbyshire in 1714. He learned the trade of linen weaving and moved to Totley after his marriage on 1744. He became an ardent follower of John Wesley who paid many visits to Sheffield and who would have passed through or close to Totley. Preaching was at first conducted out of doors and when Wesley's preachers became harassed by a mob of Totley ruffians in 1760, George offered them safety of his own home. He remained a Methodist for all of his long life, dying in Dore in 1821 at the reputed age of 107.
Oakwood School was started by Mrs Phoebe Holroyd in 1925 initially as the Firth Park Kindergarten and, by 1927, as the Firth Park Preparatory School. Phoebe was still working at the school almost fifty years later when she was well into her seventies. We would like to hear from anyone with memories of the school.
James Curtis was born at sea aboard HMS Chichester in 1790. He enlisted as a Private in the 1st Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in Sheffield in 1812 and served in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He later fought in France and Belgium taking part in the Battle of Waterloo. In later life James lived at the Cricket Inn where his son-in-law William Anthony was the licensed victualler. He died in Heeley in 1882 aged about 91.
Charles Paul lived in Totley in later life. He was a local historian and archaeologist who was an authority on the history of Sheffield, especially the two areas he knew best: Attercliffe and Ecclesall. His books and letters to local newspapers were published under the Latin form of his name Carolus Paulus.
Towards the end of the 19th century Totley Hall gardens became a well known beauty spot that attracted many hundreds of visitors from Sheffield on open days and the rock gardens became one of its most popular features. Mrs Annie Charlesworth sent us six glass transparencies of the rock gardens taken, we believe, in the early years following the Great War.
Anton Rodgers send us photographs of three water-colours that had been bought by his grandfather at a sale of the contents of Abbeydale Hall in 1919. One was of a scene said to be in York by A. Wilson. A second was of a seated child with a dog believed to be pianted by Juliana Russell (1841-1898). The third was of Lake Como, by Ainslie Hodson Bean (1851-1918) who lived for much of his life on the Riviera and in North Italy.
A Canadian correspondent sent us photographs of a set of silver spoons that were bought in a small town in British Columbia. The case contained a note signed by Ebenezer Hall indicating that they were a wedding gift to Maurice and Fanny Housley. We think we may have traced how they got to Canada and where they might have been since.
Green Oak Park was opened on 23 March 1929 on land that had been bought by Norton District Council from John Thomas Carr, a farmer and smallholder of Mona Villas. In later years, the buildings were used by the Bowling Club (the green having been built in 1956) and by the park keeper. However, the buildings appear to have been constructed in several phases, the oldest of which predates the park to the time when the land was used for pasture.
We believe the old Totley Police Station at 331 Baslow Road was built around 1882. Two lock-up cells were excavated just below floor level in the summer of 1890. We have traced the Derbyshire Constabulary police officers who lived there from John Burford in 1886 to George Thomas Wood who was there when Totley was absorbed into Sheffield in 1934.
David Stanley lived in Totley Rise in the later years of his life. Born in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, he joined the 17th Lancers when he was 19 and rode in the Charge of The Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava where he was seriously wounded. For the first reunion of veterans in 1875, he told his story to a reporter from the Buxton Herald.
This picture postcard was addressed to Miss Abell, Holly Dene, Totley Brook Road and posted in Rotherham on 10 December 1907. Edith Annie Abell was born on 4 February 1887 in Sheffield and her family came to live in our area in the 1900s, staying for the rest of their lives.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: