Thursday 1st January 1920 Portsmouth Evening News (page 2)
The Sheffield Amateur Sports Club, Limited, at their annual meeting yesterday, launched a gigantic new scheme, involving an increase of capital from £3,000 to £25,000. It was stated that the directors had purchased Abbeydale Park of 25 acres, at Dore, as a permanent sporting ground, for £4,500. This will be the headquarters of local cricket, hockey, Association and Rugby football clubs.
Monday 23rd February 1920 Sheffield Daily Telegraph
Froggat Edge Mystery. How it was solved by Jack Slack, of Dore.
A remarkable funeral.
The death of Jack Slack, as he was familiarly known in and around the Dore neighbourhood, has removed a well-known figure from this district of Derbyshire. He was a sort of all-round handyman - the man who got in coals, cleaned the windows, assisted the keepers and farmers of the district, and did any odd jobs.
Years ago, it was stated. Slack was crossed in love, and from that date he has not done any regular work. Well educated, and coming from a well-known local family, he was always courteous, and he was loved by the children, with whom he was fond of chatting; always bowed with great ceremony to the ladies and to the gentry of the neighbourhood, he was most polite. But Jack had no fixed home, and for many years he frequently slept in a hayloft, and it was while there he met with an accident that ended in his death.
He was buried on Saturday in Dore Churchyard, and the people of Dore saw to it that he had a decent interment. The Rev. W. R. Gibson (Vicar of Dore) conducted the service, and the attendance at the funeral was such that might have been expected at the interment of a country squire. Hundreds of people were present in the pretty little churchyard at Dore; they came from all over the countryside to pay their last tribute of respect to a man who, in spite of his singular mode of life, was a great favourite among the people for miles around.
The Vicar in a short address referred to the respect with which Jack Slack was regarded which, he said, was accounted for by the fact that he had so cheerful a disposition, was always willing to assist those who applied to him for help, and for the courtesy and regard he had always shown to others. Though he was satisfied to lead a life (of) apparent discomfort and loneliness, this did not sour his nature against those who fared better than he did. He suffered more than they could tell. He was a man with a fellow feeling and had a regard for the feelings of others. In spite of the conditions under which he lived he was a true sample of "Nature's gentleman".
Slack was well-known throughout the moorland district of Northern and Mid-Derbyshire. He tramped miles across the sheep paths, helped the keepers in the game season, and hundreds of Sheffielders met him at various times on his wanderings, accompanied only by his dog.
Many years ago there was a great sensation in this part of Derbyshire. A local resident went out on to the moors, and was caught in a terrible snowstorm - one of the worst that has ever been experienced in the Peak district. Search was made, but no trace of the missing man could be found, and to this day the tragedy is referred to as the "Froggatt Edge" mystery. But the mystery was solved. Jack Slack was doing one of his tramps across the moors. He had his dog with him, and the faithful hound, running in front of him, made a discovery and commenced to bark. Slack moved forward to ascertain the cause, and there in a hollow he found the skeleton of the man who months before had been overcome by the great storm and had fallen down and died far away from human habitation.
Monday 28th April 1920 Sheffield Daily Telegraph (page 4)
The Hallamshire Rifles Totley yesterday marched to the Totley Rifle Range where an open air service was conducted by the Rev. G.W.Turner.
Wednesday 8th December 1920 Sheffield Evening Telegraph (page 7)
Totley's Concert Troupe of Dots and Tots
A concert was given at Killamarsh, in aid of the Mission Room Fund, by the Totley Rise Dots and Tots troupe of pierrots. There was a large and appreciative audience, and a varied programme was excellently rendered. The artists were Miss Muriel Gummer, Miss Lorna Skill, Miss Muriel Dyson, and Messrs Gilbert Smith, F. Chambers, J. Kay, and Mr Hill as accompanist.The scenery was painted by the Rector, the Rev. J. S. Powell, and the refreshments were provided by Miss Powell.
Wednesday 22nd December 1920 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 6)
The World of Sport
£20,000 For Amateur Sport in Sheffield
By "The Scout"
The Sheffield Amateur Sports Club has raised practically £20,000 for its scheme of playing fields at Dore. This is a wonderful tribute to Sheffield's love for amateur sport. No other city in any part of the country has done anything like this. In the South, where critics are only too often out of touch with Northern sport, we occasionally hear moans about the grip professional sport has in Lancashire and Yorkshire and adjacent counties, and the lack of the vitality of amateur sport. There is plenty of vitality about the amateurs of Sheffield, where there are many hundred good amateur clubs connected with all classes of sport. The Dore scheme, however is unique., and speaks volumes for the enterprise of the four of our amateur clubs - the Sheffield Association F.C. (the oldest football club in the world), the Collegiate Cricket Club, the Sheffield Rugby club, and the Sheffield Hockey club.
The Dore Scheme.
The exact sum raised for the scheme at Dore is £19,872 by 476 shareholders, but another £2,000 has been promised. The club has 35 acres at Dore, together with Abbeydale Hall, which possesses possibilities of being made into a handsome club house. Work in laying out the various grounds has been going along steadily. The cricket wicket is finished and will be in use next May. The hockey pitch has been completed, while rapid progress is being made with the Association ground. Time will be given them to set, and no games are being played on the specially constructed grounds. A formal business meeting of the club has been called for 30 December, at the Royal Victoria Hotel, but another meeting will be held in January, when full information will be given as to the progress and development of the scheme. It may be at that meeting a decision will become to as to the use of Abbeydale Hall. Mr. R. R. Greaves is the secretary and the directors are Messrs. H. B. Willey, H. A. Potts, E. C. Benson (Sheffield Association Football Club), Messrs. C. R. Wilson, Harold Willey, B. W. Doncaster (Collegiate Cricket Club), Messrs. J. T. Shepley, W. L. Gray, O. E. H. Leslie (Sheffield Rugby Club), Messrs A. I. Gainsford, F. L. Price, and R. Hargreaves (Sheffield Hockey Club), and Messrs. R. G. Blake, C. A. Longbottom, and G. S. Marple (general shareholders).
Monday 28th August 1922 Evening Telegraph (page 6)
Misfortunes Never Come Singly
Circus performers, clowns, and others have their own pet superstitions and one of these is that accidents always happen in the rule of threes. Dr. H.G.Grable used to travel all over the world with Barnum and Baileys famous circus. Here are his views on this curious belief in the rule of threes. I never had much faith in the rule of threes, which is the bugbear of circus performers, but during my four years with the show I have seen some inexplicable cases of triple accidents " said Dr. Grable." Last year we had a burlesque on the balloon horse Jupiter he cannot go with us because the horse and apparatus together are too heavy for the tent poles. Three clowns went up instead. One evening one of the tree broke his arm. For the next performance it required all the persuasive powers of the management to induce another clown to take the place of the injured one. Finally they succeeded in getting one and for several weeks the act flourished as before. Then again a clown was brought into my hospital car, and he had a broken arm. The act was a simple one and apparently without any danger whatever attached to it but a superstitious fear seized the clowns and it was impossible to persuade them to continue with it. Strange enough before the season ended the third clown who had been associated with the first two in the balloon act also suffered a broken arm, but he did not break it in that act.
Friday 13th October 1922 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 8)
Canada's National Game.
How Lacrosse is Developing in Sheffield [Extract]
Since the start of the game in Sheffield last year two clubs have been formed - the Sheffield University Lacrosse Club (men) and the Sheffield Lacrosse Club. Both play at Abbeydale Park, Sheffield, Amateur Sports Club ground, Dore. Mr. W.O. Townsend, Surrey street, is the honorary secretary of the latter club and Mr. I. H. Strachan, Applied Science Department, The University, the hon. secretary of the former.
Monday 11th December 1922 Sheffield Daily Independent (page 7)
A Happy Evening
Totley Club's Dinner and Prize Distribution
The members of the Cross Scythes (Totley) Bowling Club spent a happy evening last Saturday at headquarters on the occasion of their first annual dinner and prize distribution since their re-formation. In the absence of the President (Mr. Westerman). Mr. F.G. Dakin, M.B.E., presided over an excellent gathering, and was supported by Messrs. H. Crowther, F. Stone, J. Wint, G. Wait, and A. Shaw (secretary). The rose bowl competition winners were presented with their prizes by the chairman in the following order. 1. H. Green; 2. H. Crowther; 3. T. Thompson; 4. G.T. Evans; 5. A Shaw; 6. G.W. Wells; 7. W. Kaberry. A capital musical programme was provided by Messrs. Machin, Marsh, Fletcher and Harrison.
Saturday 17th February 1923 The Derbyshire Times (page 6)
To the Overseers of the Poor of the Township of Totley;
To The Chief Constable of the County of Derby;
To the Superintendent of the Police of the District; and
To T. A. Howes-Smith, Esquire, the Clerk of the Licensing Justices of the Division of Eckington.
Take Notice that I, Phoebe Jukes, of Abbeydale Hall, Totley, near Sheffield, intend to apply to the Licensing Justices for the Division of Eckington sitting at General Annual Licensing Meeting to be holden at the Court House, Renishaw, in and for the Petty Sessional Division of Eckington on the 5th day of February 1923 or at some adjournment thereof for a Justices' License for Billiards at a house situate and being known as Abbeydale Hall, Totley, near Sheffield, in the occupation of Joseph Kendrick, and me, the above named Phoebe Jukes, carrying on business there as "Kendrick & Jukes." The Owners of the said premises are The Sheffield Amateur Sports Club, Limited. Given under my hand this 2nd day of February, 1923. (signed) Phoebe Jukes.
Tuesday 20th March 1923 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 6)
Death of Mr. Samuel Swift, Sheffield
Sheffield has lost an ardent church worker and a tradesman of the old type by the death of Mr. Samuel Swift, who for 61 years was with the firm of Messrs. Thomas Porter and Sons, provision merchants, of King street, Sheffield. He had been at work on Saturday, and when with his only surviving brother, Mr. James Swift, 21, Montgomery road, Nether Edge, as late as 9.15 on Saturday night, he appeared to be quite well, but died suddenly on Sunday from heart failure. His home was at Grove road, Totley Rise, and he leaves one son and two daughters. His wife died about four years ago. He was born at Aldam Mills, near Barnsley, and came to Sheffield when he was thirteen years old, to start as an apprentice with Messrs. Thomas Porter and Sons. On the death of the two sons of the founder of the firm, about thirty years ago, he became co-partner along with the two Messrs. Slagg, and had been actively associated with the business ever since. He was one of the first churchwardens at St. Peter's Church, Abbeydale, when that church was built, and at one time was a sidesman at Ecclesall Church. He had also done a vast amount of work in connection with other churches in the parish.
Wednesday 21 March 1923, The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 4)
Funeral of Mr. S. Swift
Last Tributes to a Well Known Business Man.
A large and representative gathering attended the funeral at Dore Parish Church yesterday afternoon, of the late Mr. Samuel Smith, who died very suddenly on Sunday last at his residence, Sunnyvale, Totley Rise. The principal mourners were: Mr. Charles Swift (son), the misses Emmie and Linnie Swift (daughters), Mr. Frank Swift (grandson), Mrs. Charles Swift (daughter-in-law), Mr. James Swift (brother), Miss Swift (sister), Mr. and Mrs. James Marshall, Mrs. Smith (Beauchief), Mr. and Mrs. J. Ellison, Mr. Frank Ellis, Mr. Alec. Slag, Mr. Frank Slag, and Mr Robert B. Grayson (Solicitor). About 35 members of the staff of Messrs Thomas Porter and Sons, King street, Sheffield, of which firm Mr. Swift was the senior partner, were also present. The service was conducted by the Rev. W.R. Gibson, Vicar of Dore. The late Mr. Swift had been with Messrs. Thomas Porter and Sons for more than 40 years and was well known and respected in business circles in the city. He was formerly warden of the Church of St. Peter;s, Abbeydale, and had until quite recently, been a regular attender at Christ Church, Dore. He leaves a son and two daughters. The funeral arrangements were in the hands of Mr. Harry Green, Totley Rise.
Wednesday 16 May 1923 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 5)
Mr. Samuel Swift, Sunny Vale, Grove road, Totley Rise, for 60 years connected with the firm of Thomas Porter and Sons, left £4,915 (net personalty £3,414).
Monday 25th October 1926 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 9)
Totley Bowls Club Dinner
Friendly Fixtures Only Played by Members.
The Totley (Cross Scythes) Bowling Club is one of the few clubs who play nothing but friendly fixtures. During the past season they have played home and away fixtures with Chatsworth, Baslow, Brincliffe, Wadsley Social Club, and the Post Office bowling teams and won each encounter upon the aggregate scores. Over 70 members met together, on Saturday, at the Cross Scythes Hotel on the occasion of the annual dinner and prize distribution. Mr. J.W. Turner (president) presided, supported by Messrs. F.G. Dakin, W. Plant, W.S. Hall (treasurer), F. Oakes (secretary). Mr. Dakin in proposing the toast of the "Totley Bowling Club," mentioned that efforts were being made to make the green for next season in a condition fit to compare with the best in the district. They could claim to be the most successful club whose activities were confined to the playing of friendly matches. Messrs. F. Oakes and W. Hyland had only lost one match during the past two seasons. During the evening a presentation of a handsome clock was made by the president to Mr. W.S. Hall, in recognition of his services as treasurer. Mr. F. Oakes' win in the annual handicap proved most popular, for in the final with Mr. J.T. Pearson only one point decided the honours. The complete list of prizewinners were: Annual handicap: 1. F. Oakes; 2. J.T. Pearson; 3. H. Crowther; 4. W. Kaberry; 5. W. Wise; 6. T. Wint; 7. R. St. I. Smith; 8. E. Lake. Ryedale Shield: 1. T. Chapman; 2. J. Salt. Doubles competition: 1. J.T. Pearson and E. Coleman; 2. F. Oakes and C.L. Marcroft. Flying handicap: J.W. Turner. Holiday handicap: 1. C.L. Marcroft; 2. W. Wise; 3. H. Green; 4. J.H. Slack. A splendid musical programme was provided by Messrs. A. Dakin, H. Robinson, Vincent Arthurs, D. Vickers and H. Jones (pianist).
Wednesday 13th July 1927 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 3)
Amateur Sports Club
Need for Hard Court Tennis at Abbeydale Park
The annual meeting of the Sheffield Amateur Sports Club was held at 18, York street, the registered office, yesterday. Mr. H. B. Willey, who presided, said that with regard to the financial position, the overdraft which a few years ago was £7,000, is now £2,345, and this is practically covered by the amount of £2,250 due under the mortgage of Abbeydale Hall. As, however, the Sports Club was a progressive affair, further capital expenditure continued to be necessary, and during the past year certain improvements to the ground were effected, in particular the new Bankers' hockey ground. In order to cope with the extended area of playing fields which require attention it became necessary to purchase a motor roller. This motor roller had not yet been paid for, and was the chief item in the account of sundry creditors £527.
Tennis Club Idea
With regard to the future, there was always the question of establishing a tennis club. There was always the nucleus of a very fine tennis club, which, if hard courts could be provided, would rapidly extend into a club of considerable dimensions which would prove a very valuable asset to the club. The increased number of subscriptions which would result from a flourishing tennis club would go a long way towards solving the income problem. With regard to the income and expenditure account, it would be noticed that this year there is a deficit of £167, but with regard to this deficit it should be pointed out that £100 has been allowed for depreciation and there is a further item which should also be mentioned, namely, in the accountancy charges amounting to £33 12s. There is a special payment in this year's accounts in connection with the company's liability for Income Tax. Every economy was being effected as regards expenditure. It was, however, a great struggle for the clubs to raise the amounts at which they were assessed, and it was therefore with very much regret that the directors were compelled to raise the assessment for the ensuing year. If, however, this assessment was not raised, the clubs would certainly be faced with another deficit which would in time produce a serious problem.
Bank Holiday Fete
With a view to helping the funds of the club, Mr. Shepley and Mr. Edwards had been good enough to organise a fete on August Bank Holiday, and it was hoped that all members of the Sports Club and their friends would do their very best to make this a tremendous success. Helpers were still urgently needed. Their duties were chiefly to act as showmen, and anyone willing to help should send in their name to Mr. Shepley. If they had a fine day and the Fair was the success it deserved to be, having regard to the amount of work put in by Mr. Shepley and Mr. Edwards, and the other helpers, the proceeds would be applied in payment for the motor roller, and the balance, if sufficient, would be utilised for the provision of hard tennis courts and generally improving the financial position. There was no doubt that the grounds were very fully used, and each year that went by showed that the provision of these grounds for amateur sport had been very well justified. Many important matches had already taken place, and today and tomorrow the Collegiate C.C. were having their annual match with the M.C.C. The retiring directors, viz: H. A. Potts, Col. D. S. Bransom, D.S.O., F. Ludlam, R. Hargreaves, Wynyard Dixon and R. A. Rowley Morris were re-elected.
Thursday 29th August 1929 The Sheffield Daily Independent (page 7)
Holmesfield to Dore
What was once a delightful old bridle track leading from Holmesfield to Dore village and Sheffield and flanked for great part by grassy, primrose-lined banks and hedgerows, will soon disappear entirely. Until recently, part of the bridle track could be seen leading from the main Abbeydale road South and up by the side of Abbeydale Park, but housing developments and road-widening have resulted in only a very small piece being left. This also promises to be swallowed up within the next few months. The old "high road" as it was called used to lead down Twentywell lane, across Abbeydale road South, up Water lane on the opposite side of the road, and then curve to the left from Abbeydale Park and through what is called Ashfurlong.
Tracing the Road
The road then wound to the right again, and up what is now known as Dore road, formerly Dore New road. From here it continued down through Ryecroft Farm, across a ford in Ryecroft Glen, through the Ecclesall Woods across Abbey lane and through the woods again until it reached to the bottom of Button Hill, Millhouses. The road then continued up Button Hill until it wound to the right, passing eventually, across the present Carter Knowle road, until it reached a farm yard near Banner Cross Hall. It then went through the fields to the top of Brincliffe Edge, and apparently continued down into Sheffield. The old Water lane, by the side of Abbeydale Park, has now been replaced by a road which continues round the wide bend, followed by the old bridle track until it reaches a point only a short distance from Dore road, which runs from Dore village into the main Abbeydale road.
What Photograph Shows
Part of the portion of the original bridle track which is still left is shown in the photograph reproduced on the back page. Another part also remains intact, where the road begins to curve back from the top of Abbeydale Park towards Dore road, but this is now being widened. Cutting across the loop of the new road at its largest point, and completing the "D" shape, is Cavendish avenue, alongside which used to run the old footpath which was a short cut for people who wanted to miss the mud of the bridle track. Water lane was so called because no matter how dry the weather was, water could always be found running down the side of the road.
About half-way up Twentywell lane, there can still be seen a cutting in the side of the road into which carts, coming down the lane, could draw out of the way to let any, coming up, pass. The road, of course, was only just wide enough for one cart, and it was the rule that the cart coming up should always be given the right of way. Another old bridle-track which used to run down by Totley Rise through Bushey Wood to the bottom of the village green in Dore, has disappeared. Picture on Back Page.
On Wednesday 28th June, we welcome back Ann Beedham whose talk is called Days of Sunshine and Rain: Peak District Rambling in the 1920s, with words and photographs from the life of George Willis Marshall who was a keen walker and who took lots of photos in the 1920s and 1930s as he wandered the hills of Derbyshire with his friends. They were pioneers of the ‘right to roam’ and took part in the famous Kinder Trespass of 1932. The meeting is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m.
On Wednesday 26th July Alan Powell will tells us about The History of Newspapers in Sheffield. Alan is a former Editor of the Sheffield Telegraph and The Star newspapers and had a career of more than 44 years in journalism in Sheffield. The meeting as usual is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m. Non-members are welcome.
The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday, 27th September when we present an illustrated talk by David Templeman called Mary, Queen of Scots: The Final Journey - From Sheffield to Fotheringhay (1584-1587). This talk relates the compelling tale of the events leading up to and including Mary’s trial and execution. Mary’s courage and conduct come to the fore as she takes her tragic story through Wingfield Manor, Tutbury Castle, Chartley Manor, Texall and culminating in the climax at Fotheringhay Castle where she is tried and executed for High Treason. But was she guilty? That is the question this talk addresses. The meeting is in Totley Library, starting at 7.30 p.m.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale and Norton.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: