TOTLEY is a township and scattered village, and with Dore forms an ecclesiastical district, pleasantly situated on the Bakewell road, six miles S.S.W. of Sheffield. The township is in Dronfield parish, Ecclesall Bierlow union, Sheffield county court district, Scarsdale hundred of East Derbyshire, Southwell diocese, Derby archdeaconry and Dronfield rural deanery, and Totley polling district of the North-eastern (Eckington) division of Derbyshire; it contains 4,852 acres, including 4 acres of water, and a large tract of moorland; rateavle value £4,090; it had 822 inhabitants in 1891. The soil belongs to various owners. Divine service is held in the voluntary School every Sunday. THE CHERRY TREE ORPHANAGE, founded in Sheffield about 1863, by E. P. Taylor, Esq., was removed to Brook Hall in 1866; and on August 21st, 1867, the foundation stone of the present building was laid by John Webster, Esq., then Mayor of Sheffield. The total cost including furnishing amounted to £3,000, and considerable improvements have since been made. In 1868 Mr. Taylor transferred the property to trustees. The institution, which is supported by voluntary subscriptions and a Government grant, has for its objects the boarding, clothing, and education of poor children who have been deprived of both their parents, irrespective of religious belief or nationality. Miss Stronach is matron. THE WESLEYANS have a small chapel, built in 1848. There are mixed schools, erected in 1876, and Infants' Schools, built in 1880, which together hold over 200 children. The old school, erected in 1827 by the late D'Ewes Coke, of Totley Hall, is now used as a teacher's residence. There is an endowment of £6 a year, arising from land at Totley.
Police Station; Richard Williams, constable
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. Frank Herbert Green's. Letters arrive at 6.50 a.m. & 7 p.m. and are despatched at 6.20 p.m. ; Sunday, 6.30 p.m. via Sheffield. There is also a POST OFFICE at Mr. Selby Wolstenholme's, Totley rise. Letters arrive at 6.50 a.m. & 4 p.m. & Sundays 8.55 a.m., and are despatched at 11.15 a.m. and 6.35 & 7.35 p.m. ; Sundays, 7.15 p.m.
RAILWAY. - Midland at Dore for Totley
CARRIERS pass through to Sheffield & Bakewell on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
Abbeydale Club, Totley rise; Benj. Payne, mgr; Fred. Shepherd, sec
Allsop Samuel, Victoria road
Andrew Robt. Victoria rd. Totley rise
Andrew Thomas, farmer
Badger John Jackson, Woodbine cottage, Totley rise
Bagshaw John (& Son), Woodland villa, Victoria road, Totley rise
Barber Harvey, beerhouse, Bents
Bardsley John Burton, Glenroyd, Totley rise
Bennett Thomas, Victoria villas
Bennett Wm. bootma. Totley rise
Betts George, farmer, Totley Bents
Biggin Samuel, ferrule manufactr. Sheffield; h. Woodview, Totley rise
Blackshaw Rev. William M.A., B.D. The Dingle, Woodland pl. Totley rise
Booker Miss Fanny, confectioner, Totley rise
Bordsley John, sec. Totley rise
Bowley Thomas, gardener
Bradley John, traveller, Sunny vale
Brameld John Creswick, architect, Sheffield; h Brookhall
Brown John, 3 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Buxton Miss Emily, Green Oak
Capron Arthur John, engineer, Sheffield; h Green Oak
Chalmer Hamer, Cross Grove house
Cherry Tree Orphanage, Miss Stronach, matron
Christopher Miss, The Mount, Totley rise
Clarke Wm. fishmngr. Totley rise
Crawshaw Luke, W. farmer, Totley bent
Creswick Geo. farmer & vict., Cannon hall & Fleur de Lis, Totley
Crossland Misses, private school, Norwood house, Totley rise
Dakin Edmund, Oakwood, Totley rise
Dawson Mrs. 4 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Denneiffe Albert, farmer, Monnybrook, Rise farm
Dickinson Charles, butcher, Hill foot & Norton Woodseats
Earnshaw Mrs. ; h The Grange
Elliott George, manager, Totley
Ellis John Herbert, vict. Crown inn
Ellison Thomas Edward, barrister-at-law, Sheffield; h The Grove
England William, Woodland place, Totley rise
Fisher James, Green Oak
Fisher John, farmer, Hall Field frm
Fletcher Shelly, Woodland place, Totley rise
Fox Albert, farmer, Totley bents
Godber Charles, Woodside villa
Godber James, Woodside villa
Green Arthur, file cutter
Green James, shopkeeper
Green Frank Herbert, sub-postmast
Hague John, Totley rise
Hallam John Bassett, Thornfield
Hattersley Frederick H. (F.H. & Sons), Balaclava house, Victoria road, Totley rise
Hattersley Robert, Wood bank, Totley rise
Hattersley Wltr. dairyman & frmr
Hawkins Mrs. Glover rd. Totley rise
Heathcote Albert Reaney, machine knife manufacturer, Sheffield; h Oakwood, Totley rise
Hill Wm. Colin, gardnr. Green Oak
Holding Charles, insurance agent, Totley bents
Holding John, farmer
Hopkinson Jas. fruiterer, Totley rise
Jackson Charles, grocer & draper
Jackson Daniel, Albert vil. Totley rise
Johnson George, vict. Old Cross Scythes hotel
Kilner Miss Elizh. Victoria road
Knott William, stamper
Lee George H. (W. & Sons), Ingledew house, Totley Brook road, Totley rise
Levesley Leonard, Victoria road
Lewis David, gardener
Marrison William Waller, grocer, Totley rise
Mayhew Thomas T. Totley rise
Millington Joseph, The Poplars, Totley bents
Milner Wm. A., J.P. Totley hall
Moore Miss Mary, schoolmistress
Morris Richd. Wm. mngr. Glover rd
Needham John Edward, farmer
Nutt Henry Styring (E.S. Nutt & W. Fish), Sheffield; h Victoria rd
Nutt Mrs. 2 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Osborne Mrs. Frances, Victoria rd
Parker Jsph. Hedley (Bros.), Woodland vils. Victoria rd. Totley rise
Parkin John Edwin, The Birches
Parkin Tom, blacksmith
Pearson George, market gardener, St. George's farm
Peet Harry, shopkeeper, Totley rise
Platts James, vict. Cricket inn
Revill Harry, poultry dealer
Robinson James, Moorland view, Totley rise
Sanderson Edmund Harvey, book-keeper, Totley rise
Scott Edward Charlton, mining engineer, Sheffield; h Woodside cottage, Totley rise
Short Mrs. Totley Hall lane
Shrubsole Mrs. Selina, girls' high school, Broomfield, Totley rise
Siddall Thomas, gamekeeper to the Duke of Rutland
Slack Wm. Victoria rd. Totley rise
Smith Chas. A. Moorhill, Totley rise
Swindells William, gardener, Brook house, Totley rise
Stronach Miss, matron, Cherry Tree orphanage
Sylvester Samuel, tobocconist, Sheffield; Llanover ho Totley rise
Taylor William, scythe smith & shopkeeper, Totley rise
Theaker Ethelburt, tobacconist, Totley rise
Thompson Colin, butchr. Totley rise
Todd Thomas Wilkinson, Fairfield, Totley rise
Turner Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Tyzack Joshua, farmer, Avenue frm
Unwin Heald, farmer
Unwin Wm. Heald, farm bailiff
Walker Harry, Victoria road
Webster Joseph, farmer & dairymn
Webster Sergt. William, Volunteer instructor, Rifle range
Wint Joseph, greengrocer, Totley rise
Wint Samuel, shopkpr. Totley rise
Wint William, grocer, farmer & cab proprietor, Totley rise
Wolstenholme Selby, draper & sub-postmaster, Totley rise
The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday, 27th September when we present an illustrated talk by David Templeman called Mary, Queen of Scots: The Final Journey - From Sheffield to Fotheringhay (1584-1587). This talk relates the compelling tale of the events leading up to and including Mary’s trial and execution. Mary’s courage and conduct come to the fore as she takes her tragic story through Wingfield Manor, Tutbury Castle, Chartley Manor, Texall and culminating in the climax at Fotheringhay Castle where she is tried and executed for High Treason. But was she guilty? That is the question this talk addresses. The meeting is in Totley Library, starting at 7.30 p.m.
Then on Wednesday, 25th October we will be holding another in our popular series of themed Open Meetings, when you will be invited to share memories of Totley Then and Now. There will be over a hundred pairs of photographs showing how Totley's buildings, lanes, and open spaces looked in the past compared with the same scene today. The meeting will be held in Totley Library beginning as usual at 7.30 p.m.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale and Norton.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: