TOTLEY is a township and scattered village, and with Dore forms an ecclesiastical district, pleasantly situated on the Bakewell road, six miles S.S.W. of Sheffield. The township is in Dronfield parish, Ecclesall Bierlow union, Sheffield county court district, Scarsdale hundred of East Derbyshire, Totley polling district of the North-eastern (Eckington) division of Derbyshire, and in the rural deanery of Dronfield, archdeaconry of Derby, and the diocese of Southwell. Divine service is held in the Mission Room every Sunday at 6.30 p.m. THE WESLEYAN CHAPEL here is a small building, erected in 1848. THE CHERRY TREE ORPHANAGE, founded in Sheffield about 1863, by E. P. Taylor, Esq., was removed to Brook Hall in 1866; and on August 21st, 1867, the foundation stone of the present building was laid by John Webster, Esq., then Mayor of Sheffield. The total cost including furnishing amounted to £4,000. In 1868 Mr. Taylor transferred the property to trustees. The institution, which is supported by voluntary subscriptions and a Government grant, has for its objects the boarding, clothing, and education of poor children who have been deprived of both their parents, irrespective of religious belief or nationality. The area is 4,852 acres, including 4 acres of water, and a large tract of moorland; rateable value £4,710 18s; it had 997 inhabitants in 1911. The soil belongs to various owners.
Police Station; Arthur Burchby, sergeant
POST, M. O. and T. OFFICE at Mr. Arthur Bradley's. Letters arrive via Sheffield at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and are dispatched at 9.35 a.m. and 6.20 p.m. ; Sunday, 6.55 p.m. There is also a POST and M.O. OFFICE at Miss Fanny Booker's, Totley rise. Letters arrive at 6.45 a.m. & 4.5 p.m. & Sundays 8.55 a.m., and are dispatched at 11.10 a.m. and 6.45 and 7.40 p.m. ; Sundays, 7.25 p.m.
There are mixed schools, erected in 1876, and Infants' Schools, built in 1880, and a new Infants' School, built in 1898, which together hold over 212 children. The old school was erected in 1827 by the late D'Ewes Coke, of Totley Hall. There is an endowment of £6 a year, arising from land at Totley.
RAILWAY. - Midland at Dore for Totley
CARRIERS pass through to Sheffield & Bakewell on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays.
Allsop Samuel Croft, clerk, Chesnut villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Algor Mrs. Grace Ann, vict. Cricket inn
Andrew Robert, wheelwright, Totley rise
Andrew Robert Henry, (j) scythe smith, The Mount, Totley rise
Andrews Thomas, farmer
Armstead Henry Wm. Homedale, New Totley
Atkinson Albert Edward, Moorland view, Victoria road, Totley rise
Atkinson Mrs. Elizabeth, Green Oak, Totley rise
Badger William John Wrigglesworth, traveller
Badger John Jackson, Green Oak, Totley rise
Bagshaw John (& Son), Woodland villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Bailey Thomas Edward, signalman, Brook terrace, Totley rise
Bamford Claude William, clerk, Green Oak, Totley rise
Banks John T. Riseholme, Victoria road, Totley rise
Barber Harvey, beerhouse, Bents
Beard Bernard, engineer, Maycroft, Main avenue, New Totley
Beeley, George, knife forger; h Woodview, Totley rise
Belbin Charles Albert, Moorhill, Prospect road, Totley rise
Belshaw Charles William, porter, Grange terrace
Bennett Thomas, Victoria villas, Totley rise
Bennett Wm. boot ma. Totley rise
Beresford George, shopkeeper, Geen Oak, Totley rise
Berridge Stepen, The Bungalow, Totley rise
Berry James, butcher, Totley rise
Betts George, farmer, Totley Bents
Bingham Thomas Ernest, police constable, Grange terrace
Biggin John, Rushgarth, Devonshire road, Totley rise
Blackshaw Rev. William M.A., B.D. Croft House settlement, The Dingle, Woodland place, Totley rise. T.N. 94 Beauchief
Booker Miss Fanny, confectioner, & post office, Totley rise
Booker James, Totley rise
Booth Frank C. boot repairer
Booth William Henry, platelayer, Green Oak, Totley rise
Bowley Thomas, jobbing gardener, Rose cottage
Bradbury William, (j) blacksmith, Green Oak, Totley rise
Bradley Arthur, sub-postmaster
Bradshaw John Arthur, butcher
Brown John, Moorland view, Victoria road, Totley rise
Bruce Robert, signalman, Green Oak, Totley rise
Bruce Stuart, commercial traveller, Ellerslie, Main aven. New Totley
Burchby Arthur, police sergeant
Burnand William Ernest, Dale view, Prospect road, Totley rise
Cameron Charles Fraser, journalist, Dyffryn, Main av. New Totley
Carr Mrs. Martha Ann, Green Oak, Totley rise
Carr John Thomas, Mona villas, Green Oak, Totley rise
Cawton Arth. traveller, Glenaire, New Totley
Chapman Mrs Emily, New Haven, Main avenue, New Totley
Cherry Tree Orphanage (Miss Stronach, matron) T.N. 13 Beauchief
Childe William, Merriefields, Victoria road, Totley rise
Clark Harry, Brenchley, Main avenue, New Totley
Clarke Thomas Wilfred, storekeeper, Green Oak, Totley rise
Coates Fred, grinder, Moorview
Cole Charles, St Hilda, Main avenue, New Totley
Collett Mrs. Edith, fried fish dealer, Totley rise
Cook William Henry, porter, Green Oak, Totley rise
Corbett Bernard, gardener to Mr. T. E. Ellison, The Cottage, Totley grove
Cornthwaite William, manager, Totley Bents
Covan Joseph, The Hollies, New Totley
Creswick George, farmer, Cannon hall & vict. Fleur de Lis, Totley
Crookes Thomas, wheelwright
Crossland Misses, private school, Norwood house, Totley rise
Crossley Thomas, clerk, Green Oak, Totley rise
Dawson Mrs. Frances Blanch, 4 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Dickinson Charles, butcher, Hill foot; & Norton Woodseats
Earnshaw Mrs. Hannah, Totley grange
Elliott Mrs. F. M. Ruskin villa, Main avenue, New Totley
Ellison Thomas Edward, barrister-at-law, Sheffield; h The Grove
England Rev. William (United Methodist), Woodland place, Totley rise
Evans Rice K. Hillcrest
Fisher Frank, Samuel & William, farmers, Hall Field farm
Fisher Joseph, Sudbury, Glover road, Totley rise
Fletcher Leonard John, Prospect rd, Totley rise
Foster Allan G. Winderton, Totley rise
Fox Albert, farmer, Totley Bents
Fox Fred, West view
Fox Harry, (j) stone mason
Gardiner Samuel, signalman, Green Oak, Totley rise
Gibbins John E. Hill Crest, Prospect road, Totley rise
Gibson Henry, draper, Osborne house, Main avenue, New Totley
Gilbert Charles, phonograph dealr. Fairfield, Totley rise
Gillott Mrs. Elizabeth, Green Oak, Totley rise
Gledhill James, market gardener, Victoria gardens
Gliddon Frank, railway canvasser, Woodland villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Goldthorpe Cecil, manager, Twelwydon, Main avenue, New Totly
Gomm Mrs Hill house, Prospect road, Totley rise
Green Harry, upholsterer, Woodview, Totley rise
Green James, (j) engineer, Green Oak, Totley rise
Green Samuel, fancy draper, Summer lane
Gummer William G. Brentwood, Brinkburn Vale road, Totley rise
Hague Albert Edward, (j) electro plater, Fern Dene, Totley rise
Hall Mrs Frances, Fern mount
Hall Frank, engineer, Little Haven, Totley rise
Harnan, Misses, Rosehill, Main avenue, New Totley
Harrison Edwin Ranson, accountant; h Alma villas, Victoria rd. Totley rise
Hassell Frederick, Green Oak, Totley rise
Hatfield Joe, manager, Mount Pleasant house, Prospect road, Totley rise
Hawes Edgar C. Glenrose, Totley rise
Haynes Thos. Humphrey, 1 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Heathcote Albert Reaney, Balaclava ho. Victoria rd. Totley rise
Heeley Harry Herbert, coal merchant, Overdale, Propect road, Totley rise
Hibbert William Arthur, Oakwood, Victoria road, Totley rise
Hill Misses A. E. & M. Ferndene, Main avenue, New Totley
Hill Cecil Graham, jobbing gardener, Brook terrace, Totley rise
Hill Sam, farmer, Totley Bents
Hill William Colin, jobbing gardener, Green Oak, Totley rise
Hodgson Henry James, commission agent, Hill side, Victoria road, Totley rise
Holding Charles, jobbing gardener, Ash cottage
Holding Jn. jun. chauffeur to Wm. A. Milner esq. J.P. Totley hall
Holding John, farmer, Totley Bents
Holmes Major, clerk, Moorside, Totley rise
Hugh Percy, Woodside, Totley rise
Hunt John William, clerk, Alma villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Jackson Charles Thomas, grocer
Jackson Smith, Rosedene, Main avenue, New Totley
Jefferson Rev. John (Congregational), Glenbourne, Totley rise
Jenkins John, silversmith (Sheffield); h Woodbine cottage, Victoria road, Totley rise
Kaberry William, plasterer; h Middlewood, Victoria road, Totley rise
Kay Edgar John, Holly mount, Victoria road, Totley rise
King Oliver Henry, manager, Green Oak, Totley rise
Lake Ernest, steel examiner, Ivy dene, Main avenue, New Totley
Lees Wm. Thos. joiner, Totley rise
Levesley Leonard Walter, Holmfield, Totley rise
Lewis David, gardener to Wm. A. Milner esq. J.P. Totley hall
Longley Albert Ernest, Udale, New Totley
Louke Douglas Henry, Inglewood, Main avenue, New Totley
Mainprice Max R. secretary, Belmont, Totley Brook road
Marrison Mrs. Kate, grocer, Totley rise
Martin Arthur Bertram, manager, Brentwood, Victoria road, Totley rise
Maycock John, farm bailiff to Joshua Tyzack, Avenue farm
Mayhew William Henry, The Birches, Totley rise
Mellor Peter, insurance agent, Green Oak, Totley rise
Merrill Thomas, The Bungalow, New Totley
Mills Charles, under manager, St. Ives, Victoria road, Totley rise
Milne Bernard, mgr. Cross Gro. ho
Milner Wm. A., J.P. Totley hall
Moorhouse Arthur, railway clerk, Monnybrook villas
Moseley Albert, manager, Byron house, Main avenue, New Totley
Mottershaw Misses Bertha & Rose, confectioners, Totley rise
Newbould Benjamin, traveller, The Newlands, New Totley
Newton Herbert S. Waverley, Main avenue, New Totley
Noder Mrs. Emily, draper, Totley rise
Nunn Herbert, Green Oak, Totley rise
Nuttall William Ambrey, draper; h Casanova, Totley rise
Ogden Mrs. Maria, Belmont, Main avenue, New Totley
Osborne Mrs. Frances, Brook hall
Parker Joseph Hedley, printer; h The Moorlands
Parkin Tom, blacksmith
Peace John Horner, file manufacturer; h Heatherdene, Main avenue, New Totley
Peacock George R. Cliff cottages, Victoria road, Totley rise
Pears Thomas, Bircholme, Devonshire road, Totley rise
Pearson George, market gardener, St. George's farm, Totley rise
Peck Alvey, Victoria rd. Totley rise
Pickford, Holland & Co. Moor Edge mine & fire brick works
Pittman Jn. Wm. travllr. Moorlnds
Prince Colin, platelayer, Green Oak, Totley rise
Quance Horace, manager, Victoria road, Totley rise
Radcliffe George Barker, provision agent, Woodbank, Victoria road, Totley rise
Reeves George Thomas, vict. Old Cross Scythes hotel
Roe Edward, platelayer, Green Oak, Totley rise
Saynor Willie, Whitecroft, Main avenue, New Totley
Scott Edward Charlton, mining engineer, Woodside cottage, Totley rise
Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-operative Society Ltd. grocers, Totley rise
Sibley Edward, assistant overseer S.; h 3 Stanley villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Siddall Thomas, gamekeeper to the Duke of Rutland
Singleton Frederick, pearl cutter, 40 Prospect road, Totley rise
Skill Ernest Claude, architect & surveyor, Mona villa, Green Oak, Totley rise
Slack William, Chestnut villas, Victoria road, Totley rise
Slater Frederick James, Rookwood, Totley rise
Smedley Arthur, traveller, Green Oak, Totley rise
Smith Charles, Hall lane
Sowden William, vict. Crown inn
Starke Henry Thompson, manager, The Poplars, Totley Bents
Stokes Joseph, Sunny bank, Totley Bents
Stronach Miss, matron, Cherry Tree orphanage
Stubbs George, Heatherleigh, Devonshire road, Totley rise
Swindells Wm. jobbing gardener, Brook terrace, Totley rise
Taylor Shirley, scythe smith, Green Oak, Totley rise
Taylor William, conf. Totley rise
Theaker Ethelburt, tobacconist, Totley rise
Thompson Colin, butchr. Totley rise
Thompson Harold Ernest, Green Oak, Totley rise
Thompson Peter, school attendance officer
Tofield William, The Birches, Totley rise
Turner Charles Edward, ivory fluter, Green Oak, Totley rise
Turner Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Tyzack Joshua, farmer, Avenue farm
Unwin Heald, Fern mount
Unwin Wm. Heald, frmr. Hall lane
Walter Stephen, Sunny bank, Main avenue, New Totley
Ward Maurice, foreman, Grange ter
Watson Harris Cook, committee clerk, Monnybrook villas
Webster William, range warden, Rifle range
Wells Rt. S. Prospect rd. Totley rise
Western Charles, lodge keeper at Totley Grange
Whitehead Thomas J.P. Eggerslack, Main aven. New Totley
Widdowson William J. Oak Leigh, Totley rise
Wilbraham Joseph, clerk, 2 Stanley villas, Victoria rd. Totley rise
Wild Horace, Avondale, Main avenue, New Totley
Wilkins Thomas Arthur Fountain, joiner, Cliff cottages, Victoria road, Totley rise
Wint Mrs. Clarice, dress maker, Totley rise
Wint Jsph. greengrocer, Totley rise
Wood Jn. schoolmaster, Hillcrest
Woodworth Herbert, (j) organ builder, Wood view, Totley rise
Wordsworth Henry Thos. cashier, The Mount, Totley rise
Wragg Frederick, grinder, Brook terrace, Totley rise
Young Mrs. Lucy, shopkeeper, Summer lane
Because of the continuing need for measures to restrict the spread of the coronavirus, the monthly meetings of Totley History Group have been suspended until further notice.
Please continue to support your history group by sending your questions, comments and contributions to: contactus@
We are fast running out of stocks of Pauline Burnett's history of Totley Rise. The last few copies are available only from Totley Rise Post Office, price £5. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections. "Chronologically and in fascinating detail, Pauline Burnett's book tells the story of this small piece of land through Victorian and Edwardian times, two World Wars and up to the present day. I found the book to be an absolute delight..." Dore to Door.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Towards the end of the 19th century Totley Hall gardens became a well known beauty spot that attracted many hundreds of visitors from Sheffield on open days and the rock gardens became one of its most popular features. Mrs Annie Charlesworth sent us six glass transparencies of the rock gardens taken, we believe, in the early years following the Great War.
Anton Rodgers send us photographs of three water-colours that had been bought by his grandfather at a sale of the contents of Abbeydale Hall in 1919. One was of a scene said to be in York by A. Wilson. A second was of a seated child with a dog believed to be pianted by Juliana Russell (1841-1898). The third was of Lake Como, by Ainslie Hodson Bean (1851-1918) who lived for much of his life on the Riviera and in North Italy.
A Canadian correspondent sent us photographs of a set of silver spoons that were bought in a small town in British Columbia. The case contained a note signed by Ebenezer Hall indicating that they were a wedding gift to Maurice and Fanny Housley. We think we may have traced how they got to Canada and where they might have been since.
Green Oak Park was opened on 23 March 1929 on land that had been bought by Norton District Council from John Thomas Carr, a farmer and smallholder of Mona Villas. In later years, the buildings were used by the Bowling Club (the green having been built in 1956) and by the park keeper. However, the buildings appear to have been constructed in several phases, the oldest of which predates the park to the time when the land was used for pasture.
We believe the old Totley Police Station at 331 Baslow Road was built around 1882. Two lock-up cells were excavated just below floor level in the summer of 1890. We have traced the Derbyshire Constabulary police officers who lived there from John Burford in 1886 to George Thomas Wood who was there when Totley was absorbed into Sheffield in 1934.
David Stanley lived in Totley Rise in the later years of his life. Born in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, he joined the 17th Lancers when he was 19 and rode in the Charge of The Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava where he was seriously wounded. For the first reunion of veterans in 1875, he told his story to a reporter from the Buxton Herald.
This picture postcard was addressed to Miss Abell, Holly Dene, Totley Brook Road and posted in Rotherham on 10 December 1907. Edith Annie Abell was born on 4 February 1887 in Sheffield and her family came to live in our area in the 1900s, staying for the rest of their lives.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: