TOTLEY township is 1 mile south-west from the church at Dore; it was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1924. The church of All Saints is a building of stone, and has 250 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Derby, and held since 1924 by the Rev. Robert Jermyn Hutton M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Totley Hall is the residence of Mrs. Milner. The area is 1,812 acres ; the population of the township in 1921 was 1,341.
Post, M. O. & Tel. Call Office, Totley. Letters through Sheffield. The nearest T. office is at Totley Rise
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Totley Rise. Letters through Sheffield
Cherry Tree Orphanage, first located at Cherry Tree Hill, Sheffield, now occupies eligible premises on about 7 acres of freehold land at Totley, erected at a cost of £2,300, for 56 children of all denominations & from all parts of the British Empire, who are admitted at from 5 to 10 years of age, the boys remaining until they are 14 & the girls till 16 years of age, when they are placed in suitable situations; children attend Totley school until 14 years; a matron is employed to prepare the girls for domestic service; in 1886 a new wing was added at the south side, consisting of convalescant room or class room & a kitchen on the ground floor & two rooms on the first floor, the cost being defrayed by Sir John E. Bingham bart. of Sheffield; the orphanage property, vested in trustees, is managed by a committee of Sheffield gentlemen, the household arrangements being conducted by a committee of ladies; the institution is chiefly dependent on voluntary contributions; there are now 29 children; A. W. Chabburn, president & chairman; E. W. Wilkinson, hon. sec.; T. G. Sorby, hon. treasurer; Miss Mary B. Crawford, matron.
Railway Station. Dore & Totley, (L. M. & S.)
Motor omnibus service between Dore, Totley & Ecclesall
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Blake Stephen John, The Grove
Earnshaw Mrs. H. Totley grange, Baslow road
Milner Mrs. Totley hall
Platt Capt. Claude Bernard M.B.E. 200 Boston road
Robinson Alfred, Cross Grove house, Baslow road
Bainbridge Tom, tobccnst. 15 & 17 Baslow rd
Baker Thos. boot & shoe repr. Oldhay
Bargh Nellie (Mrs.), baker, 53 Baslow rd
Bolwell Annie E. (Mrs.), Crown P.H.
Bromehead Wilfred E. boot & shoe repr. 63 Baslow rd
Chambers Ernest, fishmngr. 41 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70806
Cherry Tree Orphanage (Miss Mary B. Crawford, matron), Mickley la. T N Beauchief 71013
Clayton Ralph Jn. boot & shoe repr. 195 Baslow rd
Coates Maurice, haulage contrctr. 21 Baslow rd
Creswick Oscar, farmer, Avenue farm
Dawson A. & H. decrtrs. Baslow rd
Dungworth Bernard, Cricket inn P.H.
Evans Wltr. shopkpr. Hillfoot rd. T N Beauchief 70583
Elliott Ernest, bldg. contrctr. 182 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70853
Fisher Frank, Saml. & Wm. farmers, Hallfield farm
Fox Albert, farmer, Totley Bents
Green Oak Hall ( J. R. Rodgers sec.), 193 Baslow rd
Green Emily (Mrs.) draper, Hillfoot rd
Green Harry, joiner, Totley Hall lane
Green Wm. Hy. Fleur-de-Lis inn P.H.
Greenway Beatrice (Mrs.) confctnr. 187 Baslow rd
Heatherfield Garage Co. Ltd. Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 71176
Hill Herbt. farmer, Bents farm, Totley Bents
Hill-Pickford Herbert, farmer, Totley Bents
Hobson Cyril Watson M.P.S. chemist, 43 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 71181
Holding Chas. jobbing gardnr. Ash cot
Jackson Ernest, statnr. & post office, 67 Baslow rd
King Oliver Hy. grocer, 172 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70295
Kirby Arth. farmer, Townhead farm
Lewis David, gardener to Mrs. Milner
Marshall Frank, boot repr
Patten S. & H. druggists, 185 Baslow rd
Pearson Edith (Mrs.) baker, 166 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70040
Pearson J. T. haulage contrctr. Grouse inn. T N Beauchief 71092
Pickford, Holland & Co. Ltd. fire brick mfrs. Moore Edge mine & fire brick works, Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70789
Quick Press Ltd. dyers & cleaners, 57 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 71193
Reynolds Rd. farmer, Monnybrook farm, Totley Bents
Roberts Jn. Rt. trade union sec. 59 The Grove
Scott Chas. Fredk. Old Cross Scythes P.H. T N Beauchief 70342
Sheffield & Eccleshall Co-operative Society Ltd. Baslow rd
Slater Walter, farmer, Totley Bents
Smith Ernest, wireless supplies dlr. 168 Baslow rd
Spittlehouse Jas. Hy. jobbing gardener, Lanehead rd
Spring Susie (Mrs.) draper, 164 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 71215
Stanley Wm. F. grocer, & post office, 337 Baslow rd
Totley Rifle Range (W. Johnson, range warden). T N Beauchief 70138
Tym Laurence, butcher, 91 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 71088
Tym Wm. farmer
Wakesfield Wm. farmer Hall Lane farm
Western Chas. private gardener to Mrs. Hannah Earnshaw, The Lodge, Totley Grange
Wilde Minnie (Miss) L.R.A.M. teacher of music, Lanehead rd
Wiley & Co. Ltd. wine & spirit mers. 185a Baslow rd
Woodworth Herbt. pianoforte tuner, 355 Baslow rd
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Crowther Herbert T, 18 Main avenue
Giddings Percy, Silsoe, Meadow grove
Garyson Cranmer Kay, 32 Main avenue
Hudson John Edward, 6 Main avenue
Hutton Rev. Robert Jermyn M.A. (perpetual curate of All Saints, Totley), The Vicarage, 2 Sunnyvale rd
Ibbotson George, 44 Main avenue
Jordan Archibald, 6 Sunnydale road
Longley Albert Ernest, 4 Sunnyvale road
Newbould Mrs, 5 Meadow grove
Watkin Eric C. 7 Main avenue
Dore & Totley Lawn Tennis Club (C. K. Grayson, hon. sec.), 32 Main avenue
Harris Dorothy (Miss) A.R.C.M. teacher of music, Belvoir ho. Main av
Keatley Cecil Fredk. teacher of music, 8 Main av
Marshall Geo. Guthrie M.B., Ch. B., D.P.H. physcn. & surgn. (attends daily 10 to 10.30 a.m.), 10 Main av
Parker Frank, dairyman, 54 Main av
Sheard Rowland Edwd. grocer, Main av. T N Beauchief 70614
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Belbin Charles Albert, 6 Prospect road
Birrell William Hudson, 18 Victoria road
Bowen Henry, 5 Prospect road
Bryson Samuel, 20 Prospect road
Carter Walter, The Dingle
Cavill Arthur S. 9 Prospect place
Daman Charles Walter Burgess, 4 Prospect place
Fletcher Leonard John, 3 Prospect road
Gomm Henry C. 10 Prospect road
Grayson Robert, Brook hall, Mickley la
Hall Alfred Thomas, 23 Victoria road
Hall Mrs. Derwent house, Prospect road
Hartley Herbert E. B. 16 Prospect road
Horton George Rupert, 52 Victoria road
Jepson John, Somerleigh house, Woodland place
Mills Charles A. St. Ives, Victoria road
Mott Reginald Arthur, 60 Victoria road
Platts Percival W. 68 Victoria road
Radcliffe Mrs. 66 Victoria road
Saynor William, The Croft, Prospect rd
Slater Frederick James, 79 Baslow road
Thompson William, The Cottage
Vaszon John Frank, 1 Prospect place
Wells Robert S. 2 Prospect road
Wish Charles Arnold, Steep bank
Wordsworth Henry Thomas, 4 Prospect road
Bradbury Wm. blacksmith, Chemical yd
Cartledge Frank, butcher, 61 Baslow road. T N Beauchief 70558
Collett edith (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 39 Baslow rd
Greaves Jas. W. draper, 47 Baslow rd
Kahler Geo. Fredk. dairyman, 34 Lemont rd
Marcroft Chas. Lindley, bldg. contrctr. Heatherfield estate. T N Beauchief 70202
Marrison Jn. W. grocer. T N Beauchief 71009
Pearson Geo. & Sons, nurserymen, St. George's farm, Mickley la. T N Beauchief 70828
Smith Jn. joiner, 19 Victoria rd
Thompson Colin, butcher. T N Beauchief 70997
Wint Thos. grocer, 65 Baslow rd. T N Beauchief 70666
On Wednesday 28th June, we welcome back Ann Beedham whose talk is called Days of Sunshine and Rain: Peak District Rambling in the 1920s, with words and photographs from the life of George Willis Marshall who was a keen walker and who took lots of photos in the 1920s and 1930s as he wandered the hills of Derbyshire with his friends. They were pioneers of the ‘right to roam’ and took part in the famous Kinder Trespass of 1932. The meeting is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m.
On Wednesday 26th July Alan Powell will tells us about The History of Newspapers in Sheffield. Alan is a former Editor of the Sheffield Telegraph and The Star newspapers and had a career of more than 44 years in journalism in Sheffield. The meeting as usual is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30 p.m. Non-members are welcome.
The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday, 27th September when we present an illustrated talk by David Templeman called Mary, Queen of Scots: The Final Journey - From Sheffield to Fotheringhay (1584-1587). This talk relates the compelling tale of the events leading up to and including Mary’s trial and execution. Mary’s courage and conduct come to the fore as she takes her tragic story through Wingfield Manor, Tutbury Castle, Chartley Manor, Texall and culminating in the climax at Fotheringhay Castle where she is tried and executed for High Treason. But was she guilty? That is the question this talk addresses. The meeting is in Totley Library, starting at 7.30 p.m.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale and Norton.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: