Lauren Sutton is new to our area and wanted to find out whether what she had been told about her property's history was indeed true. The house is known as Bradway House, 60 Prospect Road. Tony Smith's excellent Historical Notes about Bradway (1998) says it is shown as Pointon Lodge on the 1840 OS map and that folklore says it may have been one of the five beerhouses that operated when Bradway tunnel was built circa 1865-69 when it was known as Babes in the Wood.
Unfortunately we do not have the 1840 map that Tony refers to and can find no reference to a house named Pointon or Poynton Lodge. The first mention of Bradway House by name is in a newspaper dated February 1871 and it is referred to by that name thereafter on all the OS maps that we have seen starting with the 1875 six inch survey. Nor is the house immediately identifiable in any of the censuses prior to 1911, so unraveling the history of the house and its occupants has relied more heavily that usual on entries in local newspapers.
A tithe map dating from 1842 shows the owner and occupier to be one John Greaves, a farmer, land agent and valuer, and at times a colliery owner. John was born in Bradway on 29 December 1805, the elder son of Henry Greaves, a farmer, and his wife Hannah Hill of Birchin Lee, Dronfield Woodhouse who married at St. John the Baptist, Dronfield on 21 March 1804. John married Mary Lowe on 20 April 1831 also at Dronfield St. John the Baptist and at first the family lived in Fanshawegate where their first child Anna Mariah was born. She was baptised at St. Swithin, Holmesfield on 3 January 1832.
Bradway House appears to have been built shortly afterwards judging from an advertisement which Henry placed in two Sheffield newspapers in March 1833 offering the house to let. With it were two cottages and an assortment of outbuildings. In the event, his son John and family had moved to Bradway before their second child, Mary, was born a few months later. She was baptised at Holmesfield on 7 July 1833. More children quickly followed, all born in Bradway House and baptised in Holmesfield: Henry on 19 October 1834, Eliza on 14 October 1838 and Clarissa Susannah on Boxing Day 1840. Another daughter, Ellen, lived for only an hour. She was buried at Norton St. James on 26 August 1837.
The census, which was taken on 6 April 1841 records three consecutive entries for the Greaves family: John and Mary with five children, parents Henry and Hannah, and John's younger brother Thomas with his wife Ann Biggin and the first two of their children. There were also servants and farm labourers.
A tithe map drawn the following year shows that John owned around 8 acres of grassland plus the homestead and office which presumably was used in connection with his business as land agent. The triangular field named Meadow was adjacent to the house but two fields named Upper Newlands and Lower Newlands were off Bradway Road. In addition both John and Thomas rented several more fields in Bradway. Henry Greaves died in 1847 and was buried at Norton St. James on 14 April but Hannah Greaves continued to live at Bradway House with John and Mary and their growing family, son John having been baptised on 12 March 1843 and Bernard George on 3 May 1846. Their ninth and youngest child Frederick Thomas who was baptised at St Swithin on 30 April 1848 lived for only a few weeks and was buried on 24 June 1848 at Norton St. James. In the 1851 census John Greaves was recorded as a farmer of 48 acres employing one labourer. Brother Thomas was farming a hundred acres.
By May 1858 John Greaves had evidently decided to rent out Bradway House and move to his other farm at Birchin Lee. He put his furniture and farm stock up for sale and by 1 January 1859 it would appear that the house was tenanted by Charles Durham. Charles Walker Durham was a farmer who was born in 1831 in Alfreton, Derbyshire. He had married Alice Appelby Pogson in Saddleworth, Yorkshire in 1853 and they moved in with their two young sons, William and John. A daughter Alice Mary was born on 12 January 1859 presumably in Bradway House.
The Durham family had moved to Whittington Moor before 1860 when John Greaves advertised the property for sale at auction. It was then tenanted by William Blake who was born in Cutthorpe, near Chesterfield, in 1831. He moved into Bradway House with his wife Ann Pope Ellis whom he married at Chesterfield Register Office in 1850. They brought with them two young daughters, Jane and Lucy, and soon produced a third daughter, Sarah, who was born before the next census in 1861. Interestingly, the census records William's occupation as a basketmaker and beerhouse keeper. Thomas Greaves had died in May 1859 but his widow Ann and their children were living at the next mentioned property, probably one of the two family owned cottages.
The Blake family must have stayed in the house for no more than a couple of years as their next daughter was born in Chesterfield and baptised there on 16 March 1862. Work on the Bradway Tunnel began in the summer of 1865 and the area attracted many hundreds of miners, navvies and their families from far and wide. Living accommodation was in short supply and it is inconceivable that a businessman like John Greaves would have spurned the opportunity to use his property to provide some of them with accommodation and sustenance.
The Brampton Brewery advertised its Station Inn near the tunnel on the new line from Chesterfield to Sheffield in February 1866. This may have been a temporary beerhouse located perhaps in one of the many buildings at Jowitt House, adjacent to Dore and Totley Station. In any event it is not mentioned again once the same brewery opened the Castle Inn in July 1866. Other beerhouses to open in Bradway were The Plough, kept by local farmer John Crawshaw, and the Miner's Rest run by Thomas Biggin and later by Joseph Outram.
There were two other established beerhouses in Bradway. The Miner's Arms, kept by Charles Walker, would later become the Bradway Hotel. The Eagle Inn was run by John Robinson from premises which had ten acres of land attached and was said to be located near Beauchief Abbey. There were annual applications to the licensing authorities for beer, wine and spirits licences where the names of these pubs and publicans appear but we have found no reference to a beerhouse called Babes in the Wood, or anything similar. By August 1869, when the tunnel was completed and the provisions of the new Beerhouses Act had come into operation, most of these establishments had disappeared leaving only the Castle Inn and the Bradway Hotel.
The next definite sighting of Bradway House, and the first to mention it by name, is in February 1871 when buildings and 18½ acres of arable land and pasture were offered to let. By the census of 2 April that year it would appear that the building was tenanted by Thomas Harrison, a mining engineer who was born in Oxclose, County Durham in 1822. Thomas had married Jane Watson on 11 February 1845 Houghton le Spring, Durham but she was now dead and Thomas was living with his two adult children, John George and Dorothy (known as Dora). They presumably had no use for the farm land which continued to be advertised to let.
In 1871 John Greaves was living with his daughter Clarissa in Birchin Lee. She had married William Howard, a farmer from Ashton-under-Lyne, at St. Mary's Church, Oldham on 23 August 1859. By 1875 the Howards had moved back to Ashton where John Greaves died on 27 April 1875, aged 74. In September 1879 all John's properties including Bradway House, which had been mortgaged, were offered for sale. The advertisement says that the house was occupied by someone called Wallis but we have been unable to find out who that person was. The properties were unsold.
In the next census on 3 April 1881 it would appear that Thomas Harrison and his two children were still at one of the three properties at Bradway House, the other two being unoccupied. The properties continued to be offered to let, now at a reduced rate and the next occupant was George Rhodes, a spring knife cutler who was born in Sheffield in 1837. George had married Caroline Webster at Norton St. James on 26 February 1860 and the couple had five children all born in Sheffield. After his wife's death, George remarried to Mary Emma Hadfield or Hatfield (variously spelled) at St. Silas, Sheffield on 8 December 1878. Their first daughter, Agnes Annie, was born in Heeley but two more children were born in Bradway, Hugh in 1883 and Florrie in 1888. The Rhodes family were still there in April 1889 when the property was again offered for sale. On 15 January 1891 George's father-in-law, George Hadfield, died at Bradway House whilst paying a visit.
The Rhodes Family had moved to 29 Valley Road, Norton by the time of the census on 5 April and it would appear that Bradway House was unoccupied (there are three unoccupied properties next to the Outram's farm. This is confirmed by an advertisement in the Sheffield Independent on 30 May in which Bradway House, two cottages and two fields on Bradway Lane were offered to let. George Blackshaw moved in on a five year tenancy from 1 August 1891. He had been born in 1853 in Alfreton, Derbyshire and married to Emma Mitchell in Kensington, London in 1875. They had two daughters Edith and Ethel. George was a draper and furniture dealer with a business in Market Place, Sheffield.
Bradway House came up for auction in Sheffield on 3 July 1894 and was sold together with the two cottages for a combined price of £450. The two fields on Bradway Lane sold for £200. John Greaves' other properties in Dronfield and Dronfield Woodhouse inluding Birchin Lee were also sold in the same auction. The vendors solicitors were a Manchester firm so it would seem that they had still belonged to John's descendants. The name or names of the purchasers were not reported. George Blackshaw advertised the sale of the horses and other farm animals when his tenancy expired in July 1896.
The next occupants of the house were Arthur and Emily Haynes. Arthur was a retired clothier and tailor who born in 1838 in Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire and had a business in High Street, Sheffield. It would appear that there were no children. An unfortunate incident occurred in 1898 when their domestic servant, nineteen year old Lucy Eunice Wood, committed suicide in her bedroom despite the best endeavours of Dr. Charles Thorne to save her life. Emily Haynes herself died in 1903 aged about 63. Arthur remarried on 10 January 1905 to Augusta Christopher at St. John the Baptist, Abbeydale. Augusta was born in Long Bennington, Lincolnshire on 25 July 1871 and was Arthur's junior by more than thirty years.
Arthur died aged 73 in 1910 and in the census the following year, Augusta Haynes was living at Bradway House with her niece Ethel Rowley and a general servant. Augusta and Ethel were still at Bradway House when the National Register was compiled on 29 September 1939. From newspaper announcements, however, we know that two of Augusta's unmarried older sisters had died there: Frances Thorney Christopher on 19 December 1924, aged about 56, and Mary Christopher on 15 August 1930, aged about 72. Augusta never remarried and died in 1956. The death was registered in the Sheffield district, which would include Bradway but we do not know whether she was still living at Bradway House when she died. More recent information could be found in the electoral registers but these are held by Sheffield Archives and not available online.
Birchin Lee Farm was rented by the Pearson Family from about 1910 and became one of the most productive market gardens in the area. You can read more by following the link.
After the usual summer break, you are invited to join the ever-popular Stephen Gay on a virtual railway journey from Sheffield's abandoned Victoria Station to the east coast holiday resort of Cleethorpes. Stephen will explore the history of the line and its surrounding countryside in his usual fascinating way aided by large collection of photographs that he has taken over many years.
During our journey we will pass through the 1,334 yard Kirton Tunnel whose castellated western portal was completed in 1848 for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Stephen's talk has been split into two parts with the first part from Sheffield via Darnall, Woodhouse, Kiveton Park, Worksop, Retford and Gainsborough to Kirton Lindsey on Wednesday 22 September following our AGM.
The second part of our journey from Kirton Lindsey Station to Cleethorpes via Brigg and Grimsby, with a side trip up the scenic North Lincolnshire branch line to Barton-on-Humber, will be on Wednesday 27 October. We hope that Totley Library will be available for both talks which are planned to start at 7.30 p.m. but this will be confirmed nearer the time.
Pauline Burnett's book The Rise of Totley Rise has been revised and updated. It tells the story of this small piece of land from 1875 when there was only a rolling mill and chemical yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, through Victorian and Edwardian times, two world wars and up to the present day. It has 94 pages including a useful index and many illustrations from private collections. The book is available now from Totley Rise Post Office priced at £5, or through our website when an additional charge will be made to cover packing and postage.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
St. Swithin's Church, Holmesfield pre-dates Dore Christ Church and was the place where many of the people from Totley worshipped and were baptised, married and buried. Read the inscriptions on more than 750 gravestones in the churchyard including those of Mr. and Mrs. William Aldam Milner of Totley Hall, Jessie Matilda Tyzack (nee Fisher) of Avenue Farm, and Rev. J. A. Kerfoot of St. John's, Abbeydale.
The words Millhouses Cricket Club can be seen in the background of team photos which are likely to date from between 1905 and the early 1920s, very probably pre-war. They were lent to us by Garth Inman who can identify his great uncle, Cecil Inman, in some of the photos and would like to know when they were taken and, if possible, the names of others present. Please take a look to see whether you can put names to any of the faces.
Josiah Hibberd was seriously injured whilst working on the construction of the Totley Tunnel in 1892. He died on 9 May 1897 at the age of 38 having apparently spent most of previous five years in hospital.
Bradway House was built around 1832 by Henry Greaves, a farmer, together with two adjacent cottages. We have traced most of the occupants of the property from these early days up to the start of World War Two.
We have transcribed the baptisms records at St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale from when the church was consecrated in 1876 until just after the start of World War 1. The records are arranged in alphabetical order based upon the child's name and show the date of baptism, the names of the parents, their home location and occupation.
Nick Kuhn bought an original 1920s poster which had this owners' blind stamp in one corner. The stamp almost certainly refers to a house named Wigmore that was built in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The first occupiers that we can trace are John Howarth Caine, a district mineral agent for the LNER, his wife Florence Jane (nee Prince) and daughter Doris Mary. The Caine family lived at Wigmore until 1936 by which time the house would have been known simply as 12 The Quandrant.
George Griffiths died on 13 December 1888 following an explosion during the sinking of number 3 airshaft at Totley Bents. His widow Florence died shortly afterwards and his two daughters Maud and Annie were adopted separately. Whilst Annie lived the rest of her life in Yorkshire, Maud emigrated to Australia in 1923 with her husband, John Burrows, daughter Margaret and son Jack, pictured above.
George Wainwright was said to have been born in Bamford, Derbyshire in 1714. He learned the trade of linen weaving and moved to Totley after his marriage on 1744. He became an ardent follower of John Wesley who paid many visits to Sheffield and who would have passed through or close to Totley. Preaching was at first conducted out of doors and when Wesley's preachers became harassed by a mob of Totley ruffians in 1760, George offered them safety of his own home. He remained a Methodist for all of his long life, dying in Dore in 1821 at the reputed age of 107.
Oakwood School was started by Mrs Phoebe Holroyd in 1925 initially as the Firth Park Kindergarten and, by 1927, as the Firth Park Preparatory School. Phoebe was still working at the school almost fifty years later when she was well into her seventies. We would like to hear from anyone with memories of the school.
James Curtis was born at sea aboard HMS Chichester in 1790. He enlisted as a Private in the 1st Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in Sheffield in 1812 and served in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He later fought in France and Belgium taking part in the Battle of Waterloo. In later life James lived at the Cricket Inn where his son-in-law William Anthony was the licensed victualler. He died in Heeley in 1882 aged about 91.
Charles Paul lived in Totley in later life. He was a local historian and archaeologist who was an authority on the history of Sheffield, especially the two areas he knew best: Attercliffe and Ecclesall. His books and letters to local newspapers were published under the Latin form of his name Carolus Paulus.
Towards the end of the 19th century Totley Hall gardens became a well known beauty spot that attracted many hundreds of visitors from Sheffield on open days and the rock gardens became one of its most popular features. Mrs Annie Charlesworth sent us six glass transparencies of the rock gardens taken, we believe, in the early years following the Great War.
Anton Rodgers send us photographs of three water-colours that had been bought by his grandfather at a sale of the contents of Abbeydale Hall in 1919. One was of a scene said to be in York by A. Wilson. A second was of a seated child with a dog believed to be pianted by Juliana Russell (1841-1898). The third was of Lake Como, by Ainslie Hodson Bean (1851-1918) who lived for much of his life on the Riviera and in North Italy.
A Canadian correspondent sent us photographs of a set of silver spoons that were bought in a small town in British Columbia. The case contained a note signed by Ebenezer Hall indicating that they were a wedding gift to Maurice and Fanny Housley. We think we may have traced how they got to Canada and where they might have been since.
Green Oak Park was opened on 23 March 1929 on land that had been bought by Norton District Council from John Thomas Carr, a farmer and smallholder of Mona Villas. In later years, the buildings were used by the Bowling Club (the green having been built in 1956) and by the park keeper. However, the buildings appear to have been constructed in several phases, the oldest of which predates the park to the time when the land was used for pasture.
We believe the old Totley Police Station at 331 Baslow Road was built around 1882. Two lock-up cells were excavated just below floor level in the summer of 1890. We have traced the Derbyshire Constabulary police officers who lived there from John Burford in 1886 to George Thomas Wood who was there when Totley was absorbed into Sheffield in 1934.
David Stanley lived in Totley Rise in the later years of his life. Born in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, he joined the 17th Lancers when he was 19 and rode in the Charge of The Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava where he was seriously wounded. For the first reunion of veterans in 1875, he told his story to a reporter from the Buxton Herald.
This picture postcard was addressed to Miss Abell, Holly Dene, Totley Brook Road and posted in Rotherham on 10 December 1907. Edith Annie Abell was born on 4 February 1887 in Sheffield and her family came to live in our area in the 1900s, staying for the rest of their lives.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: