At the end of the 18th century the Totley Hall Estate roughly consisted of three “parts” or “moieties” – the Hall, two old farms between Totley Hall and Gillfield Wood, which amalgamated into one in 1808 and three farms in Dore. The early history of the Estate is very complex and is still in the process of being untangled. In the 16th and 17th centuries wealthy gentry landowners and yeoman farmers bought up “parcels” (i.e. blocks) of land scattered throughout different parishes. Some of these parcels were passed down through the generations within one family, whilst others were sold off to finance their owners consolidating and enlarging of their central estates. To make matters more complicated some of the parcels and individual fields were owned by several different people who willed these on in various directions.
Documents relating to the early history are few and far between, and take the form mostly of Wills, Deeds and odd references. However, by the 18th and 19th centuries more documentation, maps and accounts are available to give a more complete picture of the Totley Estate’s history.
In Matlock Records Library there is a biography of the “Cokes of Trusley” and enough documentation to build up a history of the family that owned Totley Hall Estate for nearly a century. As there are four “D’Ewes Cokes” involved, to avoid confusion I will refer to them as Rev. D’Ewes, D’Ewes Coke of Poole, D’Ewes Coke and F. L. D’Ewes.
These owners of the Totley Estate were from Pinxton near Alfreton in Nottinghamshire. However they had an early connection with Totley. According to notes on Totley Hall in The Old Halls, Manors and Families of Derbyshire a deed dated 1402 shows that the Manor of Totley had been in the hands of the Milnes of Ashlockton in Nottinghamshire, who were related to the Cokes of Trusley. Four hundred years later descendants from a branch of this family came back to Totley. (See family tree and Coke of Trusley arms.)
1791–1811 Reverend D’Ewes Coke
The first member of the Coke family to inherit the Totley Estate was Reverend D’Ewes Coke, who was born in 1747. His father died when he was 11 years old, and his father’s friends, Mr Lillyman, a lawyer of Brookhill Hall, Pinxton, and his wife, became his guardians. In 1772 D’Ewes married Hannah, the daughter and wealthy heiress of George Heywood of Brimington Hall, Chesterfield. Hannah’s mother had died when she was small and she had been rather spoilt by her father. Fortunately George Heywood seems to have taken a liking to his son-in-law and purchased the Presentation of the Rectorship of Pinxton and South Normanton for him. Rev. D’Ewes and Hannah had three sons D’Ewes, William and John and a daughter Hannah.
Rev. D’Ewes inherited Brookhill Hall from Mrs Lillyman in 1784 as well as Werneth in Cheshire. By his marriage he inherited Brimington Hall on the death in 1784 of Hannah’s father, who favoured his son-in-law over his own son. George Heywood Junior was passed over as heir, and got only an annuity of £100 because he had displeased his father by proposing to marry their servant, Jane Siddall. Estates in Totley, Dore and Swaddale were left to Hannah by her bachelor uncle, Anthony Gallimore of Chesterfield, in 1791.
The Dore part of Hannah’s inheritance consisted of three farms – one around the Gilleyfield area and two around King’s Croft with farmhouses abutting Church Lane. The Totley part was Totley Hall and farm in the tenancy of Peter Flint. The adjacent farm was bought by Rev. D’Ewes in 1796 with a mortgage of £1000 loaned by his uncle, D’Ewes Coke of Poole, completing the Coke’s Dore and Totley Estate and making them one of the largest landowners in both villages. Hannah’s land was administered by her husband.
Rev D’Ewes Coke was not a healthy man. He was deaf in one ear due to a blow to the head from a teacher, and he suffered from asthma. However, he was thought to be a clever artist who enjoyed etching on copper. Sadly while doing this he had an accident and lost his sight. He continued in his role as Rector, learning the Services by heart, and was remembered fondly as a good man by many after his death in Bath on 12 April 1811. He was buried at Pinxton in his own Church, where there is a memorial.
Rev. D’Ewes seldom visited Totley during the twenty years he held the estate – relying on agents and tenant farmers to maintain the land while he took their rental money, though he was a Trustee of the earliest school at Dore. The member of the family who wrote the biography “Coke of Trusley” said that Totley and Dore were “desirable sporting properties, but little visited by the family”. The farm tenants were left to manage as best they could. (See the tale of Peter Flint to see what happened in the absence of his landlords.) In 1809 his son John wrote on behalf of his father to Fairbanks Surveyors and acting agents. He said “his father did not chose to go to the expense of a survey at that time but wanted Fairbanks to put as high a value on Totley as you suppose circumstances will allow”. No wonder the tenants struggled to pay their rents when harvests were poor.
1811–1818 Hannah Coke
After Rev. D’Ewes Coke died the Totley and Dore Estates reverted to his wife Hannah and were administered by her sons D’Ewes and John. The main family estates were inherited by eldest son D’Ewes, and second son William inherited the small estates of Brimington and Tapton and the rental of Totley and Dore. William was a Barrister-at-Law who was knighted and became Chief Justice of Ceylon. He spent a number of years abroad and died unmarried on 1 September 1818, relatively young aged 43 at Trincomalee, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Three weeks later his mother Hannah Coke also died, leaving her lands in Dore and Totley to her eldest son D’Ewes.
1818–1856 D’Ewes Coke Esq of Brookhill Hall, Notts.
D’Ewes Coke was born on 22 December 1774. He was a Barrister-at-Law, the Recorder for both Newark and Grantham Corporation from 1805, and Land Agent to Duke of Rutland from 1811 to 1839. On 2 November 1797 he married Harriet, daughter of Thomas Wright, Esq. of Mapperley Hall, Notts, and they had ten children, five boys and five girls.
In 1800 D’Ewes Coke bought Langton Hall Farm near Pinxton from his father with part of his wife’s fortune. It was in a ruinous condition but D’Ewes Coke renovated it as a home for his young wife and later his growing family.
Author and personal friend Spencer T Hall in his Biographical Sketches of Remarkable People described D’Ewes Coke as being tall, open, intelligent, a severe critic and faithful friend to many, and reservedly proud on occasions. John Henry, 5th Duke of Rutland, was also a friend of his agent D’Ewes Coke and spoke highly of him. D’Ewes Coke became deaf and retired early from the Law, and he concentrated on his other roles, especially as landowner and agent. Hall says “He had a peculiar theory of tenure and rental, which was that the first persons having a right to live on the produce of the land are they who cultivated; next, the poor who cannot help themselves, the landlords coming last and taking what can be justly spared.” (Coke of Trusley, p.104). One wonders if he didn’t deal too harshly with his Totley tenant, Peter Flint, whom he sacked when he struggled to make a go of it at Totley Hall Farm.
When people die one is often apt to overlook their faults and failings and see them through rose-coloured spectacles. Having read a number of D’Ewes Coke’s business letters I find it hard to accept the above statement. On the contrary he sought to extract every penny he could from the tenants of both himself and his employer, the Duke of Rutland. For example, when he first became the Duke’s land agent, in a letter to Fairbanks Sheffield Surveyors about valuing the land, he wrote “I intend to put the whole on full rent”. In a second letter he commented “The Duke is at present far from rich. I must therefore have it done in the cheapest possible way to be well done.” It is hardly surprising that by 1818 the tenants of both Totley and Dore were begging for a rent reduction, especially as they had all suffered from a poor harvest the previous year. On this occasion D’Ewes Coke responded to his tenants’ appeal and made a small reduction in their rent.
However S. T. Hall goes on to say of D’Ewes Coke that “waste of any kind was decidedly painful to him, from waste land to waste paper whether belonging to himself or others”. This would account for him not tolerating his Totley farm being allowed to go to rack and ruin. However he had a reputation for being a good landlord keeping cottages, drainage and even smoking chimneys in good repair.
Despite all his best efforts it appears that the Totley Estate was run at a loss. Writing to his eldest son F L D’Ewes in Stockholm in April 1830, he says that he has had to have two small timber sales on his Brimington and Langton Estates “… or I could not have paid my way for Totley. This however is now over till it becomes your turn. I believe this has been a grateful little place and has done more for me than I could have conceived considering the wretched state in which my Father (i.e. Rev. D’Ewes Coke) left it – so it will be for you if you have the sense to keep it. With all I have done the state of my affairs is very embarrassing to me after paying away all the rents that come in and having no demands of sort I still have £470 of tradesmen’s bills of which £230 are 3 years old.” Even ten years later the Estate still wasn’t thriving, despite having land from the Commons added in both Dore and Totley.
D’Ewes Coke didn’t like show or parade, but spent liberally on building, endowing and subscribing to schools and libraries. For example, a new school was built at Dore in 1821, and plans were made to build a school at Totley around that time. This was to be built on a four acre site enclosed from the Commons at Moss Road. The land had already been purchased for the purpose in 1720 by a bequest in from Rev Robert Turie, assistant Vicar of Sheffield. It was intended that money for the school was to be raised by subscription, but five years later nothing had happened. This evidently did not suit the go-ahead business-like D’Ewes Coke, who had had enough of waiting and decided to build the school on his own land in Totley Hall Lane and enlist the subscribers himself. The idea was to raise £150 by the generous giving of local landowners. Letters show that he had to chivvy some of them along to get them to pay up. In the end the subscribers paid but D’Ewes Coke himself gave the land, building and furnishings for the school, which opened in 1827 and included a schoolroom and house for the teacher, which still exists on Totley Hall Lane.
One senses that D’Ewes Coke was a real dynamic go-getter. Letters show he was always out and about around his estates, keeping an eye on his property, as well as staying at Castlehill, Bakewell and Longshaw when on business for the Duke of Rutland. Besides being involved with his various Estates he found time to be involved in the local communities, serving as Chairman of the Parish Council between 1835 and 1845 when Totley was being mapped and surveyed by Sanderson of Mansfield (close by Brookhill, Coke’s main seat) for the Tythe Award in 1840, and again through the difficulties and pitfalls of the Inclosure of the Commons in 1841. He had also been involved in the later stages of the lengthy Dore Inclosure 1809 – 1821.
D’Ewes Coke’s skills as a lawyer must have been useful in assisting to engineer the Inclosure of Totley Commons. In 1834 the Parochial Meeting comprising himself and the other four largest landowners discussed a letter from the agent of Lord Middleton, Lord of Totley Manor (i.e. Township not Manor House). Lord Middleton was displeased that “Strangers” were getting stone off the Commons. In this case the outsiders were men repairing the Turnpike Road. The Totley landowners devised a clever reply, saying that though they regretted the damage caused, the Highways Laws prevented them responding, as getting stone to mend roads was legal. They “respectfully submitted to his Lordship that the only method to prevent destruction of the best part of the Commons by Strangers getting stone there is an Inclosure in which this meeting beg to state they will at all times be ready to concur”. Of course they would, the crafty chaps! They would be the ones who would benefit most by getting more land by Inclosure. Lord Middleton agreed to the Inclosure of the Commons on certain terms, namely (i) that he reserved coal and ironstone for himself; (ii) to keep 35 – 40 acres of the Commons lying conveniently for the cottages; and (iii) to be free of any expense in obtaining the Inclosure Act, surveying or fencing his allotment.
D’Ewes Coke seems to have regarded his Totley property as something of a retreat, and spent time and money prettying up the woodland. Soon after retiring as the Duke of Rutland’s agent he obviously considered selling at one point as in a letter a relative wrote “It would be a great pity to give up Totley for you seem to like it and from all accounts it is a much more healthy situation than Brookhill, which never suits you for long.” Brookhill Hall was among the Nottinghamshire coal mines.
Alfred Wolstenholme of Woodseats published a letter in the Daily Telegraph in 1895 remembering Gillfield Wood where D’Ewes Coke “allowed public access, but made some miles of serpentine cross and other walks in the wood, built log cabins and rustic seats, and made it a very pleasant place”. D’Ewes Coke also enjoyed the old 17th century Totley Hall, and appears to have kept it in the original décor. The rambling old house is described in detail by J. D. Leader in 1875 who visited the Hall with members of Sheffield Archaeological Society when it was tenanted by Frederick Hunt. After D’Ewes Coke’s death the House was presumably left as it was – stuffed with antiques and curios collected from all over the neighbourhood. The Hall with its uneven floors had walls hung with pikes, guns, bows and fishing tackle. There was a fine old dining table accompanied by oak chairs of as many patterns as could be found in an old curiosity shop. Leader found the House to be not too large but roomy, comfortable and picturesque. It certainly seemed to be much-loved by D’Ewes Coke but, despite his best efforts, the estate was running at a loss.
D’Ewes Coke appears to have taken his relative’s advice as he hung on to his Totley and Dore estate until he died on 22 October 1856, and the Totley Estate passed on to his eldest son F. L. D’Ewes..
1856–1873 Francis Lillyman D’Ewes Coke
(Known as “F. L. D’Ewes”)
Francis Lillyman D’Ewes Coke was born in 1804. He was named Lillyman after his grandfather’s guardians, and educated at Shrewsbury School and Christchurch College Oxford.
Strangely there are no biographical notes of him in Coke of Trusley. He is listed as D’Ewes Coke’s eldest child, but his name is omitted from the family tree in the above volume. The Coke’s biographer mentions that in 1873 (the year of Francis’s death) William Sacheverall inherited “from his elder brother D’Ewes”, so we know he owned Totley Hall after the death of his father.
The only information I’ve been able to uncover about the mystery of F. L. D’Ewes is in the family letters. After leaving Oxford he visited several places around Britain, then visited Paris. This appears to have given him a thirst for travel as from 1829 to 1835 he spent several weeks a year staying in hotels in major cities in various parts of Europe. For example in 1830 he visited Stockholm, Bergen and Christiana in Norway as well as St Petersberg and Gotha. He was funded by his Father with whom he carried on an affectionate correspondence. Occasionally his Father mentioned the estate at Totley which F. L. D’Ewes was expected to inherit. In 1834 F. L. D’Ewes appears to have lived at La Grande Carrée Hotel, S Simplonica from September to December. A drawing of this hotel and his passport survive in the Matlock family archive.
Then in June 1835, six weeks after going to France, F. L. D’Ewes brother-in-law George Robinson (husband of sister Sophy), who was holidaying in Brighton with his family, by chance bumped into F. L. D’Ewes, who was looking overweight, ill and dejected – and was penniless. In three letters to his father-in-law D’Ewes, George describes in detail what happened over the next ten days. The story reads like a Victorian melodrama. It seems that something, possibly a broken romance, had occurred in France that had caused F. L. D’Ewes to have a complete mental and physical breakdown. During the ensuing week he was evicted from his hotel, had the police searching for him and threatened suicide, before being located and taken under the wing of the family. He walked around their lodgings all night opening drawers and cupboards, gorging his food and drifting off into trances and he had lost his short term memory. After some days he suddenly hired a post chaise and rushed off home to see his father. Whether he ever recovered from his breakdown is a mystery, but there are no further letters between F. L. D’Ewes and his father and no records of him in the Coke papers being involved with Totley. As his name does not appear much, if at all, in Totley historical documents, it appears that he was another absentee landowner who had tenant farmers running the Totley Estate and an agent to collect the rent.
There were two Coke tenant farmers at Totley Hall Estate during the time F. L. D’Ewes was owner. Charles Alsop was Farm Bailiff from 1857 to 1860. Then from 1861 Frederick Hunt, Esq, who lived at Totley Hall, was tenant for almost 20 years. He was the owner of clay sheds and works in Deep Hollow. He appears to have treated the Estate like his own, using Gillfield Wood for private sport and putting up “Trespassers will be Prosecuted” notices, thus closing off what had been for centuries considered rights of way.
F. L. D’Ewes Coke died childless and unmarried on 19 December 1873, and the Totley Estate passed down to his brother William S. Coke.
1873–1881 William Sacheverall Coke J.P.
Born on 31 August 1805 William Sacheverall Coke was the second son of D’Ewes Coke Esq. His middle name was an old Coke family name.
At the age of 19 he obtained a commission in the 39th Regiment which was granted at the request of the Duke of Rutland, his father’s friend and employer. He rose to the rank of Colonel, but in 1830 he left the army and spent some time at the Cape of Good Hope. He returned there in 1835 when he sailed from England in a small yacht and became the first person to reach the Cape without touching land – an amazing feat. William liked the Cape so much that he sold his yacht and bought land at Elsey’s Kraal outside Capetown. There he met his first wife Sarah Kitt, daughter of John Deane Esq of the Cape of Good Hope, and they married in 1837 before returning to England to live at Langton Hall, one of the Coke Family properties. Here Sarah bore 17 children and (unsurprisingly) died in 1870. Six months after her death, William, by now a J.P., remarried Susan Annie, daughter of R. Miller Esq. (deceased) of Seaton, Devon. Together they had three more children, making William the father of twenty.
On the death of his brother F. L. D’Ewes in 1873, William S. succeeded to Brookhill, Totley and Dore and other properties. William S. appears to have had a similar character to his father – orderly and businesslike. He adopted a policy of selling off the smaller family estates to have funding to consolidate Brookhill. He began in 1874 by selling Brimington and also Dore, which was bought by the Duke of Rutland.
At this time he also sold off timber and coppice wood from Gillfield Wood and sold the small Trickett Wood to Thomas Andrew, carter and farmer. Frederick Hunt, Esq continued as his tenant farmer at Totley Hall until 1880.
After 90 years of Coke family ownership William S. sold Totley Hall Estate in 1881 to W. K. Marples, who had previously lived at Totley Grove. Mr Marples set about extending and “modernising” the quaint old Hall, building a new wing, and appears to have briefly let the Hall to John Unwin Wing of Brinkburn Grange. On Mr Marples death in 1883 the Hall and Estate was resold to William Aldam Milner for £2,850 and for the first time in centuries the Hall had a resident owner family who further extended the Hall (see Milner family notes).
On Wednesday 27th June Rachel Parkin will be telling us about the History of Chatsworth Gardens. The gardens have evolved over more than 450 years with major contributions from "Capability" Brown and Joseph Paxton. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm in Totley Library.
On the evening of Wednesday 25th July, there will be a walk led by the Friends of Gillfield Wood revealing the industrial past of the wood and adjacent fields. Approximately 2 miles/2 hours. Non-members are welcome. Please wear strong footwear. Meet at the farm gate at the bottom of Totley Hall Lane at 6pm.
Our first event after the summer break will be on Wednesday 26th September when we welcome back Ted Hancock with a talk called An Exploration of the Life of Ebenezer Hall of Abbeydale Hall. Ebenezer Hall was a silversmith, magistrate and benefactor but is often best remembered for his objections to the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway which cut through his estate. The meeting is in Totley Library beginning at 7.30pm.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: