This imposing looking gent is David Stanley. He lived in Totley at the end of his life and died here on 11 May 1893, aged 63 and is buried in Norton Cemetery, Derbyshire Lane. In his 20's he was part of an event which even now has the power to shock us.
He was born in 1830 in Nottingham, the son of an agricultural labourer. At the age of 19 he joined the 17th Lancers, a cavalry regiment, giving his occupation as mason. In 1853, the British Empire became involved in the war being fought over the disintegrating Ottoman Empire. The 17th Lancers joined with other regiments to create the Light Brigade and in 1854 were sent to the Crimean peninsula.
On 25th October 1854 the battle for Balaclava was underway. Ambiguous orders led to the Light Brigade mounting a charge against Russian forces who far outnumbered them and who were heavily armed with canon. The soldiers of The Light Brigade must have known they had little hope of surviving the battle. Despite this they charged into the valley and came under withering fire from all sides. What was left of the Light Brigade engaged the Russians at the end of the valley and forced them back.
Eventually overwhelmed, the Light Brigade retreated back up the valley still under fire. Of the 673 men who charged fewer than 200 survived [see Stephen Acaster's correspondence below for correct figures - Editor], and one of them was David Stanley. He was seriously wounded and in 1856 was discharged from the Lancers.
The Charge of the Light Brigade is legendary for the courage of the soldiers and the ineptitude of their commanders. The survivors of the Charge were treated as heroes by the public for many years after and it is no surprise then that David Stanley carried his Balaclava history with him in the naming of all the places he lived.
After his discharge he moved back to Nottingham, where he married Maria Dawson in 1857. In the 1871 census he and Maria were running the Balaclava Inn at 43 Wellington Street in Sheffield. They were still there 10 years later. By1891 they were living in Balaclava House at the top of Queen Victoria Road where it meets Prospect Place and this is where both he and Maria died. A block of flats stands on the site today and bears the name Balaclava House.
Our article about David Stanley, the veteran of the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War, who lived the last years of his life in Totley and died here in Balaclava House on Queen Victoria Road, prompted Richard Tetley to get in touch and tell me his memories of the house and area.
During his childhood Richard lived at Oakwood (no.60); the house stands next door to the site of the old Balaclava House. The Dingle was the old house's other neighbour up the hill. When Richard lived at Oakwood the garden of Balaclava House was very overgrown. The owner, Mr Vickers-Edwards was rather reclusive and the house was a bit of a mystery. There was an orchard at the back of the houses on the land now occupied by Prospect Drive, and beyond that the fields up to Tinker's Corner were owned by Tedbar Tinker. Richard remembers the old house was still there when he moved away from the area in the early 70's, but thinks that it was demolished when Mr Vickers-Edwards died shortly after.
There is a possibility that Balaclava House is in the foreground of the picture on page 14 of Brian Edward's Totley in Old Photographs. The plot the old house stood on was extensive; far larger than the area now occupied by the flats and grounds of the present day Balaclava House. I had thought the old house was built further down Queen Victoria Road, so it was interesting to walk around the area with Richard as he remembered how it was and good to see that the name has survived the demolition of the old house.
The Totley connection with the Crimean War goes beyond David Stanley and Balaclava House. Another famous Totley resident was Tommy Youdan. In a trade journal of 1868, he is recorded as living in Totley Grove House. Youdan was a well-known Sheffield character and a bit of a lad! He converted his casino into the Surrey Street Music Hall in 1852 (it burnt down in 1865 after an extravagant production involving fire and explosions on stage); he also inspired the first association football competition with the Youdan Cup. The first match for the cup was played at the Sheffield Hallam ground; now Sheffield United.
The Crimean War ended in 1856 and in celebration Tommy Youdan asked the confectioner George Bassett to bake a cake. The cake was so huge (it weighed 4 tons) it had to be carried through the town on wagons three abreast. In total over 10,000 eggs were used, 2,000 pounds of flour, 1,300 pounds of butter, 3,400 pounds of currants and raisins. The icing alone weighed 412 pounds. There were complaints it was not properly cooked and Youdan's plans to sell tickets for a lottery of slices which contained medals was declared an illegal lottery by the Government.
* Alma and Balaclava were the most well know events and places in the Crimea and are commemorated in street and pub names all over Sheffield.
The details about Tommy Youdan's cake are taken from the Crimea study notes just produced by Sheffield Libraries and Archives.
We are grateful to Marlene Marshall who has sent us this photograph of the insciption on David Stanley's grave in Norton Cemetery.
The inscription reads:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
WHO DIED MAY 11TH 1893, AGED 63 YEARS.
ALSO MARIA STANLEY.
WHO DIED OCT 26TH 1896, AGED 73 YEARS.
ALSO MARIA ROGERS,
WHO DIED DEC 5TH 1894, AGED 52 YEARS.
ALSO GEORGE ROGERS,
WHO DIED MAY 20TH 1914, AGED 69 YEARS.
ALSO ANNIE A. WEET,
WHO DIED JUNE 14TH 1953, AGED 78 YEARS,
THE BELOVED WIFE OF A.E. WEET.
ALSO ALFRED EDWARD,
BELOVED & DEVOTED HUSBAND OF THE ABOVE
WHO DIED MARCH 5TH 1954, AGED 76 YEARS.
Records show that Private David Stanley (a Nottingham man) rode with the 17th Lancers in the Charge (and was wounded). He was apparently a mason prior to enlistment in the Army on 10 July 1849. He purchased his discharge from the Army on 12 August 1856 for the sum of £20. Incidentally, if indeed, Stanley lived locally, he was not the sole participant in that historic event to have links with Sheffield. At least one other, Sergeant Francis Dickinson (curiously also of the 17th Lancers - whose usual recruiting area was Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire) lived at 20 Tillotson Road, Heeley in the 1890's. I believe also that the uniform jacket of Sergeant Major George Loy Smith, 11th Hussars was (and may still be) in the care of Kelham Island Industrial Museum. For those interested some 658 men participated in the Charge and 287 became casualties. Interesting displays of military items and medals relating to the Charge may be seen in museums at Cannon Hall, Barnsley and Belvoir Castle, Leicestershire.
S E Acaster
Society for Army Historical Research
I no longer live in the area but enjoy ‘keeping tabs’ on the old place where I lived for over 30 years. My military studies and research continue unabated although much further North in The County but still include a continuing a 'watching brief' on Totley’s own military heritage which appears to go from strength to strength with interest and input, much stronger than when I left the village some five years ago.
On this occasion, I write specifically to the very interesting contribution regarding the old ‘Light Brigade Charger’ David Stanley, once a resident in the area, which should and I hope still does, create interest in at least some of those who read and contribute to, Totley’s excellent, ‘all aspects’ site. It is due to that prospect that I feel obliged to seek to correct a widely held/understood belief, quoted in the contribution, on the experience of The Light Brigade of 25th October 1854.
That concerns the casualty numbers for that infamous engagement of The Crimean War. I think its now generally agreed by experts that The Brigade fielded something in the region of 650 mounted men (which included individuals, not part of the five regiments principally concerned but such personalities as two French/Sardinian liaison officers). Depending on what those with interest in the action have heard /believed over the years - including I’m afraid purely ‘artistic’ accounts, with nonsensical assertions that numbers as low as zero, failed to ride back to the by then, incredulous, horrified, British lines. Well, not only is that assertion untrue but, also, I'm afraid so is the often re-quoted figure of ‘less than 200’.
Any single casualty of war is bad but those who plan and actually coordinate these things, had to and still have to, expect that a proportion of men and these days, women WILL die, be injured or taken prisoner by the enemy. All of these categories are regarded as ‘casualties’. In so far as the cavalry action at Balaklava on that day, is concerned, the modern calculations indicate that of the 650 or so who attacked the Russian gun lines, a figure just short of 400 came out and returned to the British position with only minor injuries, if any at all - some 60%! Startlingly ‘only’ 17% of human casualties proving fatal. Quite different from the public perception of over a century and a half!
That is NOT to suggest that The Charge, or indeed any other engagement in war in any period was an ‘picnic’ - of course not and the horrific details of what cannon fire did to the bodies of men and horses is well recorded in that and other wars, including WW1. On that last aspect, as was almost invariably the case, the animal casualties were atrocious - quoted as approaching 400 Light Brigade horses killed on the field of Balaklava or by euthanasia afterwards.
Any reader of your site with more than a passing interest in the subject, would do worse than obtain a copy of the very well written and eminently readable book, Hell Riders published some years ago and authored by a keen academic and member of The Queens Royal Lancers curatorial staff, Terry Brighton. The book addresses all key aspects of the battle including the fascinating circumstances of the Brigade Commander and much reviled, Lord Cardigan’s apparent, untimely departure from the field. All was not as it seemed!
Incidentally, the Museum of The Queens Royal Lancers, the successors of the 17 Lancers, David Stanley’s regiment, is located a reasonable and pleasant drive from Totley, in the grounds of Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire near Ollerton. In a lovely, scenic spot, it’s well worth a visit.
All 2020 Meetings Cancelled
Because of the coronavirus, the monthly meetings of Totley History Group have been postponed until next year.
On Wednesday, 23 January 2021 you are invited to join former British Rail employee Stephen Gay on a railway journey from Sheffield's abandoned Victoria Station via the towns of Rotherham, Worksop, Retford, Gainsborough and Grimsby to the east coast holiday resort of Cleethorpes during which you will pass through the 1,334 yard Kirton Tunnel whose castellated western portal was completed in 1849 for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Not just for railway enthusiasts, this well illustrated talk will be in Totley Library beginning at 7.30pm.
On Wednesday 24 February we welcome back Penny Rea who will talk to us about The History and Residents of Zion Graveyard, Attercliffe. The graveyards is the final resting place of pioneering anti-slavery campaigner Mary Anne Rawson (1801-1887), as well as a number of the City's early industrialists and influential non-conformist Christian radicals. The meeting will be in Totley Library, beginning as at 7.30pm.
On Wednesday 24 March Ann Beedham will present The History of Stained Glass. Coloured glass has been made since the time of the Egyptians and the Romans but it gained widespread recognition with the spread of Christian churches. In England, many of these early works were destroyed in the 17th century by order of King Henry VIII after his break with the Catholic Church. During the movement of the Gothic revival many new styles were developed and the Victorians popularised the use of decorative stained glass windows and entrances in their homes. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm in Totley Library.
A few copies are still available of Sally Goldsmith's book Thirteen Acres: John Ruskin and the Totley Communists. Totley was the site of a utopian scheme funded by art critic and social reformer John Ruskin. In 1877 he bought 13-acre St. George’s Farm so that nine Sheffield working men and their families could work the land and, to keep themselves busy, make boots and shoes. Sally tells an engaging story from our history with a quirky cast of characters including Ruskin himself, the poet and gay rights activist Edward Carpenter and Henry Swan, a cycling, vegetarian artist and Quaker. The book is available to order online from the The Guild of St. George by following this link.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in local shops and via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
This picture postcard was addressed to Miss Abell, Holly Dene, Totley Brook Road and posted in Rotherham on 10 December 1907. Edith Annie Abell was born on 4 February 1887 in Sheffield and her family came to live in our area in the 1900s, staying for the rest of their lives.
Charles Herbert Nunn enlisted in the British Army on 23 August 1915 and was sent to France on 18 December 1915 to served with the British Expeditionary Force. In March 1916 it was discovered that he was underage and he was returned home. Shortly after his 18th birthday he re-enlisted and was again posted abroad where, in addition to this trio of medals, he was awarded the Military Medal.
This certificate was awarded jointly by the Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance to Isaac Henry Williams, of Lemont Road, for his services during WW1 as a stretcher bearer. We are seeking anyone who can help us pass it on to a living relative.
In 1832 Samuel Dean pleaded guilty to stealing a quantity of lead from the Totley Rolling Mill and was sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia. He sailed on the Mangles and upon arrival in New South Wales he was sent to work for William Cox, the famous English explorer and pioneer. After receiving his Certificate of Freedom in 1840, Samuel became a farmer and went on to have a very large family. Samuel was born in Whitechapel around 1811 to parents Samuel Dean Snr. and Susannah Duck. His descendant Sarah Dean would like help in tracing his ancestry.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: