Totley History Group
Totley History Group

John Roberts of Abbeydale Hall

Jenny Roberts has written to us from New Zealand. She is putting together a family history and is interested in finding out more about her husband's second great uncle, John Roberts, the silversmith and benefactor who lived at Abbeydale Hall from 1851 until his death in 1888 and who paid for the building of St. John's Church. In particular, Jenny would love to find a portrait or photograph of her ancestor. So far we have been unable to help so if you know of one we would be delighted to hear from you. Here is what we have found out about him.

John Roberts was born in Sheffield on St. Patrick's Day, 17 March 1798, the son of Richard Roberts. He had a brother, Henry, from his father's first marriage and a half sister, Julia (bc. 1827), and half-brother, Edwin (bc. 1830), from his father's second marriage to Julia Anstiss Blake in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, in 1822.

 

John Roberts was apprenticed in Sheffield to a gunsmith and it is thought that he followed that occupation for several years after the expiration of his indentures. His introduction to the silver trade is thought to have been, in part at least, a consequence of his marriage in 1830 to Sarah, the widow of Charles Showell, a gun manufacturer, and the daughter of Sarah and Henry Wilkinson, a Sheffield silversmith.  

 

For a number of years the couple lived in Shrewsbury Road in The Park district of Sheffield. Whilst there, Roberts was a prominent worker in connection with St. John's Church, Park, and was said to be a churchwarden, overseer and guardian of the poor. A kind-hearted and generous man, it was said that no deserving applicant for help ever appealed to him in vain. But for his retiring disposition he might have held public office. 

John and Sarah Roberts had no children of their own and John was keen to find someone to succeed to his business. He asked his friend William Shaw, a school teacher at Cromford in Derbyshire, to look out for a promising pupil who would be suitable. Shaw recommended Ebenezer Hall, the third of twelve children of a smallholder living at Middleton by Wirksworth. In 1836, at the age of 16, Hall moved to Sheffield, where he lived in Shrewsbury Road with Roberts and his wife.

 

In four years Hall was made a manager, doing most of the travelling on behalf of the firm. He frequently travelled to London and Scotland at the time when travel was by stagecoach, being slow and uncomfortable. At the age of 27 he was taken into partnership by Roberts. When the average weekly wage was £1 10s., the partners were each allowed to take £2 2s. per week for their own use. The firm became known as Roberts and Hall.

Martin, Hall & Company's Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street, Park in 1861 Martin, Hall & Company's Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street, Park in 1861
The Partnership flourished, Roberts gradually withdrawing from active involvement but always showing a great interest. At the Great Exhibition in London of 1851, the firm won a certificate of merit for an exhibit. In 1852 they amalgamated with Martin and Naylor to become Martin Hall and Co. The premises were recorded as being 'clean and cheerful' and their products became famous for both design and quality. A limited liability company was floated in 1866 and by 1876, when both Roberts and Martin had retired, Hall was left to administer the company. 

There is evidence of a building on the present site of Abbeydale Hall as early as 1767. Little is known of its early history prior to 1851 when it was purchased by John Roberts, who lived there until his death in 1888. When Roberts moved to Abbey Dale Villa, as it was then known, he was accompanied by his wife Sarah and his partner Ebenezer Hall. Roberts built extensions to the original house in Victorian Gothic style and bought land to either side of the Baslow Road. 

Abbeydale Hall, Dore Abbeydale Hall, Dore

At 2 o'clock in the afternoon of Saturday 1 August 1857, a serious fire broke out in a locked attic in a part of the house built within the previous 18 months. The fire was discovered by a Mr. Godber, a farmer who was at work in his fields and the alarm was raised immediately. Local farmers and their servants got together to remove the expensive furniture, estimated to be worth £2,000, from the dining, drawing, breakfast and other rooms in the three quarters of an hour it took the fire engine to arrive from Sheffield. The fire service took a similar time to extinguish the flames by which time the roof was falling in, the bedrooms were badly damaged, particularly that of Ebenezer Hall, where the floor had burnt through with debris falling into the breakfast room below. The house was insured for £500 with a further £300 for contents. The actual losses were estimated at £1,600.

Although he was remembered as a quiet and unassuming man, John Roberts was well liked by the local community in which he took an active interest. He is mentioned in various newspaper accounts as opening up the beautiful gardens at Abbeydale Park to host flower shows, notably by the Ecclesall and Dore Horticultural and Floral Society. On New Year's Day 1859, about 80 "widows and females" were entertained  to tea in the infant school at Totley. On 15 April 1861 he laid the first stone for the new infant school at Dore. The ceremony was followed by a hugely successful fund raising concert attended by The Mayor of Sheffield.

Foundation stone, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale Foundation stone, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale

The Mayor of Sheffield was one of about 200 guests at another ceremony, on 1 September 1873, when John Roberts laid the foundation stone of St. John's Church. It was to be built on 5,810 square yards of land he had given for the purpose on the opposite side of the Baslow road from the hall and entirely at his own expense. He had been a churchgoer all his life and, with the Midland Railway opening the Dore & Totley Station on 1 February 1872, he had determined the need for a place of worship for the expanding local community. He entrusted the building of the church to a committee chaired by Joseph Mountain and the Sheffield architects Flockton and Abbott were given carte blanche to design a building that would do credit to its beautiful location. Roberts also paid for an organ built by Fenton Heald of Sheffield and for all the interior furnishings of the building.

 

Before the building could be completed, however, Mrs Sarah Roberts died on 9 November 1874. One of the stained glass windows by Herr Meyer of Munich is dedicated to her memory. It depicts Mrs Roberts in the act ofgiving bread to the hungry and teaching children to read. The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale Park, was dedicated by the Right Reverend George Augustus Selwyn, Bishop of Lichfield, on 11 January 1876. The total cost of the church, was estimated at £5,000. In addition John Roberts gave £1,150 towards the permanent endowment of the district. This was supplemented by £550 from Ebenezer Hall and £300 by the Duke of Devonshire and smaller amounts from other benefactors. The same three gentlemen also gave substantial sums of money towards the building of a vicarage: Mr Roberts £500, Mr. Hall and the Duke of Devonshire each £250.

Window dedicated to Mrs Sarah Roberts, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale Window dedicated to Mrs Sarah Roberts, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale

In his later life, John Roberts was a regular visitor to Sheffield where in the morning he was frequently seen reading the newspapers in the Athenaeum. Having described his occupation as a farmer in the 1871 census, no doubt he would have been pleased with this entry in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent on 22 February 1879. Lambing Extraordinary: John Roberts, Esq., of Abbeydale Park, has 30 ewes which have recently given birth to the large number of 59 lambs, 56 of which are doing well. No less than 15 of these lambs were born of 5 of these ewes. 

In 1880 John Roberts sold the Abbeydale Park Estate to Ebenezer Hall but he continued to live in Abbeydale Hall as a resident with Ebenezer and his wife Sarah Ann. She was a cousin of Robers's own wife Sarah and had been living at the hall for several years before the couple married in 1876.

 

John Roberts died on 11 April 1888 at the ripe old age of 90. On 14 April, his funeral cortege first proceeded to St. John's Church where there was a service conducted in part by Rev. J. T. F. Aldred, vicar of Dore, who later in the day said he believed that "Mr Roberts had dispensed more in charity than anyone else in the neighbourhood and yet it had been, perhaps, less known." He is buried in the family vault in the General Cemetery, Sheffield, where his wife had been buried earlier. 

 

When St. John's Church was extended in 1936, £1,000 out of the total cost of £3,500 came from a legacy from its founder, John Roberts, who had had the foresight to provide for its expansion to accommodate the growing population of the district. 

Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale. Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale.

John Roberts in Public Records

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Name  Event  Place Registration Date  Age

John

Roberts

Birth

 

Sheffield, Yorkshire

 

17 Mar 1798

 

 
Sarah Wilkinson (wife)

Birth

 

 

Sheffield, Yorkshire

 

 

bap. 22 May 1804

 

 

Sarah Wilkinson

 

Marriage to Charles Showell

 

Sheffield Parish Church (Sheffield Cathedral)

 

11 Jan 1824

 

 

19

 

 

John

Roberts

Marriage

 

Sheffield Parish Church (Sheffield Cathedral)

11 Sep 1830

 

25

 

Sarah Wilkinson

Death

 

Abbeydale Park, Dore, Derbyshire

9 Nov 1874

 

70

 

Sarah Wilkinson

Burial

 

General Cemetery, Sheffield    

John

Roberts

Death

 

Abbeydale Park, Dore, Derbyshire 11 Apr 1888 90

John

Roberts

Burial

 

General Cemetery, Sheffield 14 Apr 1888  

1841 Census, Shrewsbury Road, Sheffield Park, Sheffield

Name Relation Condition Age/Born Occupation Birthplace
John Roberts    

40

c. 1801

silver plater Yorkshire
Sarah Roberts

 

 

 

35

c. 1806

  Yorkshire
Joshua Hall    

15

c. 1826

apprentice silver plater  
Eliza Goodison    

15

c. 1826

servant Yorkshire

1851 Census, Norfolk Road, Heeley, Sheffield

Name Relation Condition Age/Born Occupation Birthplace
John Roberts

Head

 

Married

 

53

c. 1798

silver plater

 

Sheffield, Yorkshire
Sarah Roberts

Wife

 

Married

 

46

c. 1805

  Sheffield, Yorkshire
Hannah Jackson

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

29

c. 1822

 

Nottinghamshire

 

Hannah

Low

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

14

c. 1837

nurse

 

Dore, Derbyshire

 

Henry Wilkinson

Visitor

 

Widower

 

69

c. 1782

retired silver plater Doncaster, Yorkshire

1861 Census, Abbeydale Villa, Dore, Derbyshire

Name Relation Condition Age/Born Occupation Birthplace
John Roberts

Head

 

Married

 

63

c. 1798

gentleman

 

Sheffield, 

Yorkshire

Sarah Roberts

Wife

 

Married

 

55

c. 1806

  Sheffield, Yorkshire
Sarah Wilkinson

Visitor

 

Unmarried

 

26

c. 1835

 

London

 

Ebenezer Hall

Boarder

 

Unmarried

 

40

c. 1821

silver plater

 

Middleton

 

Ann Ashmore

Servant

 

Unmarried

35

c. 1826

housekeeper and cook Brightside, Yorkshire

Jane Smith

 

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

25

c. 1836

housemaid

 

Lancashire

 

Elizabeth Smith

Servant

 

 

14

c. 1847

kitchen maid

 

Gainsbrough, Yorkshire

1871 Census, Abbeydale Park, Dore, Derbyshire

Name Relation Condition Age/Born Occupation Birthplace

John Roberts

 

 

Head

 

 

 

Married

 

 

 

73

c. 1798

 

 

farmer of 105 acres employing 4 men and aboy

Sheffield, 

Yorkshire

 

 

Sarah Roberts

Wife

 

Married

 

66

c. 1805

  Sheffield, Yorkshire
Ebenezer Hall

Boarder

 

Unmarried

 

50

c. 1821

silversmith

 

Middleton, Derbyshire
Sarah Ann Wilkinson

Cousin

 

Unmarried

 

36

c. 1835

companion

 

London, Middlesex
Hannah Carter

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

33

c. 1838

cook

 

Ambergate, Derbyshire
Fanny Richardson

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

25

c. 1846

housemaid

 

Ambergate, Derbyshire
Mary Ann Robinson

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

20

c. 1851

housemaid

 

Totley, Derbyshire
Louisa Redfern

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

16

c. 1855

housemaid

 

Sheffield, Yorkshire

1881 Census, Abbeydale Park The Hall, Dore, Derbyshire

Name Relation Condition Age/Born Occupation Birthplace

Ebenezer Hall

 

 

 

Head

 

 

 

 

Married

 

 

 

 

60

c. 1821

 

 

 

managing director, silversmiths and electro platers

Middleton, Derbyshire

 

 

 

Sarah Ann Hall

Wife

 

Married

 

45

c. 1836

  London, Middlesex
John Roberts

Resident

 

Widower

 

83

c. 1798

retired manufacturer

Sheffield, Yorkshire

Mary Hustice (Anstiss)

Hendy

Visitor

 

 

Unmarried

 

 

19

c. 1862

 

 

 

Trowbridge, Wiltshire

 

Fanny Marshall

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

24

c. 1857

parlourmaid

 

Retford, Lincolnshire
Elizabeth A. Baines

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

24

c. 1857

housemaid

 

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
Florence Eleanor Hall

Servant

 

 

Unmarried

 

 

19

c. 1862

 

housemaid

 

 

London, Middlesex

 

Mary Ellis

 

Servant

 

Unmarried

 

19

c. 1862

kitchenmaid

 

Selstone, Derbyshire
Mary Anstiss Hendy memorial, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale Mary Anstiss Hendy memorial, Church of St. John the Evangelist, Abbeydale

Wills and Administrations

 

John Roberts 10 July 1888. The Will of John Roberts late of Abbey Dale Park in the Parish of Dore in the County of Derby Gentleman who died 11 April 1888 at Abbey Dale Park was proved at Derby by Ebenezer Hall the Younger of Stafford-street Park in the Parish of Sheffield in the County of York Manager at Martin Hall and Company Limited and Peter Wragg of Sheffield Secretary of Martin Hall and Company Limited the Executors. Personal Estate £19,877 10s. 5d. Resworn August 1889 £19,479 3s. 11d. 

Latest News

The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday, 27th September when we present an illustrated talk by David Templeman called Mary, Queen of Scots: The Final Journey - From Sheffield to Fotheringhay (1584-1587). This talk relates the compelling tale of the events leading up to and including Mary’s trial and execution. Mary’s courage and conduct come to the fore as she takes her tragic story through Wingfield Manor, Tutbury Castle, Chartley Manor, Texall and culminating in the climax at Fotheringhay Castle where she is tried and executed for High Treason. But was she guilty? That is the question this talk addresses. The meeting is in Totley Library, starting at 7.30 p.m. 

Then on Wednesday, 25th October we will be holding another in our popular series of themed Open Meetings, when you will be invited to share memories of Totley Then and Now. There will be over a hundred pairs of photographs showing how Totley's buildings, lanes, and open spaces looked in the past compared with the same scene today. The meeting will be held in Totley Library beginning as usual at 7.30 p.m.

A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.

Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination  This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections. 

The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.

Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.   

Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.

We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.

Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road. 

On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.

John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.

We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now. 

We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.

We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search. 

Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road

John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.

The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure. 

When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.

Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.

Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.

Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.

We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore. 

Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.

When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.

Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status. 

What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine. 

We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.

On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.

 

Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.

 

 

Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.

 

 

 

Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.

 

 

Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation the steel industry.

 

 

Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.

 

 

The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.

 

 

Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives. 

 

 

We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale and Norton.

 

 

Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.

This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"

As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have decided to create a Virtual Museum instead, starting with old bottles that were found under the floor of the Old Infant School. Please contact us by email if you would like to see the real thing or have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.

We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.

With more people having access to faster broadband and mobile networks, we have uploaded seven full and unedited oral history recordings and also added more short excerpts for you to listen to.

Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.

We continue to add to our Totley Newspaper Archive. Recent entries have included several about John Roberts and the building of St. John's Church. There are several about the history of Brinkburn Grange and its first occupier, John Unwin Wing, an accountant who later lived at Totley Hall before being convicted of forgery and fraud and sentenced to 7 years imprisonment in Pentonville gaol. There are more than 50 articles from the 1880s and 1890s about Joseph Mountain and the Victoria Gardens, and twenty on the construction of the Totley Tunnel and the Dore and Chinley Railway.

Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village. 

Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!  

Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.

Read the inscriptions on more than 600 gravestones in  the churchyard.

 

Visitors since 24 Sep 2012:

Print Print | Sitemap
© Totley History Group