From 1791 three generations of the Coke family, who were based at Brookhill Hall, Pinxton, Nottinghamshire, owned Totley Hall Estate. This estate consisted of two farms, situated in Totley Hall Lane and adjacent fields, which are now Pocock’s farm, and four pieces of woodland comprising Gillfield, Pheasant, Little and Trickett Woods. William Sechaverell Coke sold this estate in 1881 for £2,250 to W. K. Marples, who made alterations to the East Wing of the Hall before his death two years later.
The Estate was again sold and purchased for £2,850 by William Aldam Milner, only son of a wealthy Attercliffe landowning family (Sheffield Year Book, 1884). At the time he was newly married to Sarah, the sister of his friend Samuel Roberts junior. For the first time in centuries Totley Hall Estate including Gillfield Wood had long-term resident landowners from 1884 to 1931.
The Milners further extended the East Wing of the Hall to add a billiard room and alter inner rooms. They became to all intents and purposes the Squires of Totley. Sarah Milner was involved in serving on local community committees, attending local events, presenting prizes and supporting charities, while Mr Milner, a Cambridge graduate and qualified lawyer who never practised, served in roles at county level. Both the Milners enjoyed the life of a country gentleman and his lady. They lavished money on their home and gardens, and changed Gillfield Wood from being a useful commodity to the community, as well as being a money earner, to being a Victorian family’s private playground.
W. A. Milner enjoyed fishing in Totley Brook in Gillfield Wood, where brown trout were the main catch. G. H. B. Ward records several instances when brown trout were present in the Brook. In 1887, Mr R. J. Youle, a visitor to Holmesfield, mentioned seeing trout, and in 1897 George Beresford and employer George Crawshaw caught 79 trout to stock a pond at Storth House. There are reports of trout in the stream in the 1940s and 1950s and some are still to be seen today.
Shooting pheasants in Gillfield Wood was another pastime enjoyed by Mr Milner. In this he was ably assisted by his gamekeeper, Mr Arthur Bradley, who was also his right hand man. Mr Milner had a “stone built charcoal burner’s hut in the wood converted into a hunting lodge”, said granddaughter Elsie Wilson in 1970. This ‘lodge’ was a dug out below ground, stone lined and roofed in stone, and was in a larch copse near the Totley to Storth House footpath. Local men interviewed by Bob Warburton in 1975 identified its situation on a map and remember it as a “shooting lodge”. They described shooting parties organised by Mr Milner, who used to have picnics there. It was apparently equipped with a stove for brewing a drink. When measured by Bob in 1974 the lodge was 8 ft long and 5 ft wide. Local men, including Frank Taylor and Sid Andrews, said this lodge had “always been there”. As yet (2013) there is no archaeological evidence that this was a charcoal burners’ hut, but there is evidence of charcoal burning in Gillfield Wood, so it is not impossible that there is some truth in this family legend. The building is now in ruin with only bits of the walls remaining. However, these show that the hut was well built.
A second dug out stone-lined structure, almost identical in style to the “Shooting Lodge” but smaller (2 ft 6 in by 4 ft in 1970), was in Pheasant Wood. This wood was cordoned off by barbed wire and used for rearing pheasants for Milner’s parties to shoot. Mr Arthur Bradley was the last full-time gamekeeper in Totley. He put rails in the trees for pheasants to use as roosts and kept food for the birds, including nuts and raisins in his dug out “shed”. Local boys such as Frank Taylor and Archie Thomas and friends made sure that the food didn’t always reach the pheasants, as they raided “Old Bradley’s Shed”. By the 1970s there were no pheasants in the area, and the “Shed” was being used as a den by local lads, though Pheasant Wood was still fenced off from the rest of the wood at that time.
Gillfield Wood was a favourite spot for the whole Milner family, who would take picnic lunches there or exercise their horses in the wood. Horse riding was a favourite pastime of the Milners and their three children, who rode with their friends the Wilsons of Beauchief Hall. “Gillfield Wood and surrounding district would often echo to the sound of the hunting horn of Barlow Hunt,” remembered their granddaughters, Elsie and Anne Wilson of Horsleygate in 1970. This memory of the Hunt is reinforced by an item in the Derbyshire Times dated 23 March 1889, which reported a ‘splendid run’ with Barlow Hounds on Tuesday with Mr W. Wilson of Beauchief Hall as Master.
Derbyshire Times, Saturday 23 March, 1889
SPLENDID RUN WITH THE BASLOW HOUNDS
On Tuesday these well-known hounds met at Cowley Bar, Holmesfield, at 10 a.m. under the owner and mastership of W. Wilson, Esq., of Beauchief Hall, who was present, as was also the well-known whip, W. Haslam, of Milnthorpe. A start was made to Holmesfield Park, which was found blank. The hounds were next taken to the Burrows Wood, near Barlow, where Reynard was quickly found, and dashed off at a tremendous speed to Rosewood, the hounds following in quick pursuit, and went round the Rose Wood three times in succession. A start was again made, Reynard leaving the wood made for Horsley Gate Hall, then to Lidgate, across to Holmesfield Park, turning up the wood in the direction of Holmesfield village, where he made a sharp turn crossing the fields to Mickley, then by Totley Orphanage to Gill Field wood to near Storth House, turning sharply round he made back to Gill Field wood, the hounds closely following him. The fox left the wood and made to Totley brickyard, where he came to grief and was killed by the hounds after one hour and fifty minutes splendid and exciting chase. The hounds scarcely lost sight of him during the time. The owner, W. Wilson, Esq., took Reynard’s head, and the brush was handed to Mr. A. T. H. Barnes.
Another leisure activity the Milners enjoyed in Gillfield Wood was swimming. Mr Percy Earl, superintendent of Totley Hall in 1971 when it was a College of Education, told history student Patricia Hall that “his father had helped to dig out the foundations of a swimming pool in Totley Brook in Gillfield Wood in the early 1900s”. This was filled through a channel from Totley Brook and was meant to be a private pool, but there was at least one incident of trespassing, cheerfully admitted by Mr Grayson of Brook Hall (in 1971), who with his friend, son of Judge Ellison of Totley Grove, was enjoying an early morning dip only to be discovered by William Aldam Milner, who reprimanded them but softened the effect by inviting them to breakfast at Totley Hall. The pool has been re-excavated on a few occasions – at least twice before 1970 – as it silts up quickly. Jean Smithson and Archie Thomas have memories of it being cleared by local lads who got filthy. On the 1922 OS map the swimming pool is seen as an oblong shape, but the 1959 OS map shows it had degenerated to a “POND”. A large depression near Totley Brook with a silted up leat are all that remains of this pool.
Gillfield Wood was also a place of romance. At the age of sixteen Marjorie, the only daughter of the Milners, became fond of William Wilson, who, in 1900, became Master of Barlow Hounds. Her parents had greater ambitions for their daughter as well as not approving of the relationship as she was so young. The couple flouted parental disapproval and met secretly in Gillfield Wood whenever they could. Eventually in 1909 Mr Milner gave consent to their marriage, and after a big celebration the couple set up home in Horsleygate. The photograph below shows William and Marjorie Wilson, seated centre, about 30 years later.
William Aldam Milner, J.P. and Chairman of many committees, was appointed High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1911. He and his wife were keen gardeners and raised new varieties of several plants, including a polyanthus primula and an unusual cactus. Their elder son, William, also qualified as a lawyer but never practised, and married local colliery manager’s daughter, Beatrix Ronksley. He served throughout the 1st World War as a lieutenant, but their younger son, Roy Denzil, was killed after only six weeks at the front. The grieving Milners bought land for the Parish Church to be built and contributed extensively to the building fund in memory of Roy.
Mr Milner retired from public life in 1925, but continued to enjoy his house, garden and wood, despite being mostly confined to a wheelchair and in great pain. He died on 24 January 1931, age 76, and is buried in Holmesfield Churchyard. Soon after his death his wife moved to Baslow and leased the Hall to the Cutlers Company. It was the end of an era for the community. Colonel Tozer, (1897 – 1971), Master Cutler, lived at Totley Hall but never had the same standing as the Milners though he was well liked and respected.
Mrs Milner died in 1944, but the sale of Totley Hall was deferred, by her will, until the end of the 2nd World War when, in 1945, it was sold to Sheffield Corporation. It became a Housecraft Training College in 1949 and was vastly extended in 1962 when it became a College of Education. In 1971 it amalgamated with Thornbridge College.
The first meeting after our summer break will be on Wednesday 25th September when we welcome back Dr. Chris Corker who will be giving us the third in his series of talks on Sheffield in the Great War. The focus now turns to the final years of the conflict, the innovative ideas which emerged during the war, the supply to the US Navy of projectiles in 1917, the continuing role of women workers in the munitions factories, and an attempt to recount what Sheffield made for the war effort. The talk concludes with the effects that the Armistice had on Sheffield in November and December 1918. The meeting will be in Totley Rise Methodist Church starting at 7.30 p.m. Please note this is a change of venue.
On Wednesday, 23rd October we welcome back historical clothes expert Janet Stain with a light-hearted talk called Ration Book Fashion. Janet will be telling us what made fashion tick during and immediately after World War II when resources were scarce and creativity and improvisation the order of the day. Clothes were rationed between June 1941 and March 1949 and the Ministry of Information issued the 'Make Do and Mend' pamphlet, providing useful tips on how to be both frugal and stylish. The event begins at 7.30pm in Totley Library.
A recently discovered box of WWII correspondence reveals the story of how a small group of ladies from Dore and Totley recruited knitters from the west of Sheffield and how their efforts made them the country's greatest provider of Comforts for the Minesweeping crews of the Royal Navy. The story is told in Knit For Victory, a new book from Totley History Group. Written by Pauline Burnett, it has 82 pages and many illustrations. It is on sale in Totley Rise Post Office and local shops. Also available in Dore at the Village Store or direct via our website.
Since 1875 when there was only a Rolling Mill and Chemical Yard alongside the river a mile from Totley, the area has changed beyond anyone's imagination This book by Pauline Burnett tells the story of how it was named and grew into the community we know today. The Rise of Totley Rise has 94 pages including a useful index and is profusely illustrated throughout with many previously unpublished photographs from private collections.
The story is told in Totley War Memorial WW1 of the ten men from our village who gave their lives in the Great War. Written by Pauline Burnett, Jim Martin and Dorothy Prosser, a chapter is devoted to each of the soldiers with a family tree followed by as much information as could be discovered about the men and their families. There is also information about their military careers and the actions in which they lost their lives. The book has 64 pages and is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, their families and the houses where they lived.
Ellen Topham was born in 1889 in Nottingham. Her parents had been living together since 1862 but had never married so it was most unusual that, after their deaths, Ellen was accepted into Cherrytree Orphanage. Even more so since her father, Snowden Topham, had been acquitted somewhat unexpectedly in a widely reported manslaughter trial. Ellen remained at Cherrytree until her death from pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 15.
Mabel Wilkes was a resident in Cherrytree Orphanage between 1897 and 1905. Her granddaughter Sally Knights sent us these images of a book presented to Mabel as a prize for her writing. Sally also sent us some personal memories of her grandmother and a photograph of a locket which contains portraits of Mabel and her husband Septimus Gale.
John Henry Manby Keighley was living at Avenue Farm when he enlisted in 1916. He fought in France with the Cheshire Regiment but after home leave in early 1918 he went missing. The Army were unable to determine whether he had deserted or returned to the front and been either killed or captured by the enemy. In August 1919 he was formally presumed killed in action but it appears he did not die but returned home to his family.
Horace Ford was admitted to Cherrytree Orphanage on 26 October 1888 at the age of six. He left at the age of 14 to become an apprentice blacksmith and farrier. Soon after his 18th birthday Horace enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry to serve his country in the war in South Africa. His letter home to his Orphanage mentor tells of the lucky escape he had in battle.
Pat Skidmore (née Sampy) lived on Totley Brook Road from 1932 to 1948 before her family moved to Main Avenue. In this short article she remembers her time at Totley All Saints School where she was a contemporary of Eric Renshaw and Bob Carr.
As we have nowhere to exhibit memorabilia and artifacts, we have created a Virtual Museum instead. The latest addition to our collection is this double-sided Totley Rise Post Office oval illuminated sign which was on the wall of 67 Baslow Road before the Post Office business transferred to number 71. Please contact us by email if you have things that you own and would like to see added to the virtual museum.
Conway Plumbe was a man of many talents who came to live in Totley Rise around 1912. As a young man he had poems published by Punch magazine and is remembered in modern collections of WW1 poetry. A number of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Academy. An engineering graduate of London University, he joined the Civil Service where he rose to a high level as a factory inspector, publishing two books on the subject and giving a series of talks on workplace health and safety on BBC radio during WW2. In retirement he wrote a philosophical-spiritual work called Release From Time.
Inside Totley Rise Methodist Church there is a Roll of Honour commemorating the soldiers from its congregation who served their king and country during the Great War. For all but one of the 28 names the soldier's regiment is recorded in the next column. The exception is David Cockshott for whom 'killed in action' is written alongside yet he appears on no war memorial in our area and no record of a mortally wounded soldier of that name is to be found. We think we have solved the mystery.
Mrs. Kate Plumbe moved from Mansfield to Totley Rise with a number of her family in 1913 and became closely involved with the Totley Union Church. Her daughter Winifred became a missionary and headmistress in Calcutta for over 38 years following which she returned home to live with her sister Hilda on Furniss Avenue. Hilda had also been a teacher, missionary and, like her mother, a volunteer at St. John's VAD during WW1.
Thomas Glossop was a cutler and razor manufacturer who was well known amongst cricketing and gardening circles. Despite going blind, he was able to continue his hobbies with remarkable success
The Totley Union Cycling Society Prize Giving and Fete was held on the fields near Abbeydale Hall on 18 July 1914. Anne Rafferty and Gordon Wainwright have named some of the people in two wonderful photographs of the event. Can you identify any more for us?
The Tyzack family are well known in our area for owning iron and steel trades at Walk Mill, Abbeydale Works, Totley Rolling Mill and Totley Forge. This article covers the history of the family from the late 18th century when William Tyzack the founder of the company was born until the early 20th century when Joshua Tyzack farmed at Avenue Farm, Dore.
Walter Waller Marrison moved to Totley around 1897 with his wife and their two young sons. He was a house builder who constructed properties around Totley Brook and Greenoak before ill health forced him to take up less physically demanding work. In 1904 he took over the tenancy of the grocers and off licence at number 71 Baslow Road. After his death in 1908, his widow Kate and later their eldest son Jack continued to run the business until it was sold in 1934.
Ron Wijk of Nieuw-Vennep in the Netherlands has sent us two scanned images of drawings of old cottages made by the celebrated Dutch painter, Anton Pieck (1895-1987) simply annotated "Totley", and wondered whether we could identify their locations.
We would like to thank Christopher Rodgers for bringing to our attention this fascinating log of the 85th Sheffield (St. John's and Totley Orphanage) Wolf Cub Pack for 1927-45. The log is published jointly by Sheffield Scout Archives and Totley History Group as a free PDF download. It is illustrated by no fewer than 92 photographs and is supported by a comprehensive index and biographies of some of the main participants.
Following our Open Meeting event on School Days, Roger Hart, Howard Adams and John Timperley have each written to us with their memories of Norwood School, which was located in the rooms attached to the Dore & Totley United Reformed Church on Totley Brook Road.
On 22nd July 1909 the children of Dore and Totley Schools celebrated by a pageant the union of England under King Ecgbert which took place at Dore in AD 827. The pageant was devised and written by Mrs Sarah Milner and her daughter Marjorie and performed in a field close to Avenue Farm in front of a large audience. Photographs of the event survive together with a fragment of the script.
John Edward Greenwood Pinder had lived all 46 years of his life in Totley but on census night, Sunday 2 April 1911, he was not at home; he was in Derby Gaol serving a sentence of three months hard labour. From the age of 20, John had been in and out of local courts for a series of minor offences including drunkenness, assault, wilful damage and night poaching. Finally he was sent to gaol for cutting down and stealing 86 small trees which he sold in Sheffield market for Christmas.
We have already transcribed the census returns for Totley, Totley Rise and Dore. Now we have transcribed Census Strays. These are people who were born in Totley but are missing from our earlier transcriptions. They may have been living, working or studying elsewhere or just away from home on the night the census was taken. Two people were in prison. Others were in Union Workhouses, hospitals and asylums. Fully indexed strays from the 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses are available now.
We wish to thank Gillian Walker for allowing us to digitize an archive of material about the 1st Totley Scout Group. Most of the material was collected by Arthur Percival Birley in the period 1949-51 and there are many interesting documents pertaining to the building of the scout hut on Totley Hall Lane. In addition four Newsletters survive, two from the 1940s and two from 1971.
We are grateful to Angela Waite and All Saints' Parish Church for giving us access to baptismal and kindergarten birthday rolls dating from 1926 to 1941. We have transcribed the names, addresses, birthdates and baptismal dates and created an alphabetical index of entries for you to search.
Edmund Sanderson, a Sheffield estate agent, aquired the land on either side of the old drive to Totley Grove in 1874 and divided it into plots for development. He called it the Totley Brook Estate. But before many houses were built, the estate road was severed in two by the building of the Dore & Chinley Railway line. The eastern end of the road became the cul-de-sac we now call Grove Road.
John Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1798. He became a partner in one of the leading silversmiths firms in the city before moving to Abbeydale Park in 1851 and extending the house in Victorian gothic style. He paid for the building of St. John's Church and was believed to dispense more in charity than any other person in the neighbourhood including his protege Ebenezer Hall.
The Coke Family owned the Totley Hall Estate from 1791 to 1881. With the aid of a family tree to guide us, Josie Dunsmore takes us through the story of their tenure.
When the Rev. D'Ewes Coke inherited the Totley Hall Estate in 1791 it had two farms. Josie Dunsmore tells the story of how the two farms were combined under the tenancy of Peter Flint with the aid of field maps drawn by Flint himself and later by the Fairbanks family.
Do you think you recognize this face? More than sixty photographs of the girls and teachers at Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls in the 1940s were given to Totley History Group by Avril Critchley, who was herself a student at the school. The collection includes fifteen form photographs from June 1949. There would have been a number of girls from the Totley area attending the school in those days.
Christine Weaving tells the story of her 2 x great uncle George Edward Hukin, a Totley razor-grinder, and his life-long friendship with the academic, poet, writer, and free-thinker Edward Carpenter.
Eric Renshaw (pictured here on the right with Bob Carr) grew up and lived in Totley from 1932 to 1960. Many of his memories are of a sporting nature.
We are very grateful to Gordon Grayson for giving us this splendid sale document for the Norton Hall Estates, following the death in 1850 of Samuel Shore. The estates included a large part of Totley and the document has maps and illustrations, plus schedules of land and property with the names of tenants. We have also added a transcription of the entries for Totley and Dore.
Watch this Youtube video of the talk given by Dr. Mark Frost and Sally Goldsmith on Ruskin, Totley and St. George's Farm. The talk was hosted by Totley History Group on 20th May 2015 as part of the Ruskin in Sheffield programme. Also enjoy a video of the outdoor performance Boots, Fresh Air & Ginger Beer written by Sally.
When Jacqueline A. Gibbons became interested in what made her father tick, it began a journey through WW1 archive records and led to her flying from Toronto to visit the house and village where he lived and the countryside that he so much enjoyed. Jacqueline reminds us that in the early 20th century Sheffield was a driving force of industry and that Totley was the place where many of its remarkable people lived and where they formulated their ideas.
Edgar Wood was the designer of The Dingle, 172 Prospect Road, built in 1904 for Rev. William Blackshaw, the founder of the Croft House Settlement. The house, together with its western terrace and boundary walls, has now been awarded Grade II listed building status.
What was probably "the most perfect little garden railway in existence" in 1910 was to be found in the grounds of Brook House, Grove Road, the home of its designer and constructor, Guy Mitchell. Look at some wonderful photographs and read reports in newspapers and a full appreciation in Model Railways magazine.
We have now completed our transcription of Totley School's Admission Records for the period from 1877 to 1914. There is also a useful index to the names of the scholars and to their parents or guardians. We are very grateful to Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library for allowing us to transcribe and publish these records and for permission to reproduce the photograph of a specimen page of the register.
On 8, 9 and 11 November 2014 Totley History Group held an exhibition at Dore & Totley United Reformed Church to commemorate the centenary of the First World War. Below are additional links to some of the photographs we were lent and stories we researched especially for the exhibition.
Oscar Creswick was a local farmer who served with the Army Service Corps in Salonika and who after the war returned to Totley to become the innkeeper of the Cricket Inn and a member of the village's successful tug of war team.
Walter Evans was a market gardener who also ran a small grocery shop on Hillfoot Road when war broke out. He fought with the Machine Gun Corps at the fourth battle of Ypres. After the war, Walter ran a grocers shop at the top of Main Avenue.
Fred Cartwright was another Totley soldier who survived the Great War. He fought in France and Belgium and although he wasn't wounded he was gassed and was home on sick leave when his daughter was delivered by Nurse Jessop during a snowstorm in January 1917.
Maurice Johnson joined the Yorkshire Dragoons, a territorial unit, on 1 Jan 1914 and so was called up at the very start of the war. He fought throughout the war on the Somme, at Ypres and at Cambrai. After demobilization in 1919 Maurice returned to his old occupation in the steel industry.
Bill Glossop lent us a letter written by his father, William Walton Glossop to his wife describing life in the army during training in the north east of England and asking her to keep him in mind with the children.
The photo above provides a link to an album of photographs taken of WW1 Hospitals at St. John's, Abbeydale and the Longshaw Estate.
Nora Green, of Chapel Lane, was only 14 when war broke out. In 1914 she was ill with diphtheria and was sent to the isolation hospital at Holmley Lane, Dronfield. Nora recovered and wrote a letter of thanks to one of the hospital staff and the reply she received survives.
We have collected together on this page the names of local men who appear on various War Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Totley, Dore, Abbeydale, Norton, Holmesfield and Dronfield.
Unfortunately we were unable to identify all the photographs we were lent of Totley Soldiers. Please take a look at this album to see if you recognize any of the missing names.
This walk visits locations that have strong associations with Totley during the First World War. It includes the homes of the ten soldiers from the village who lost their lives, the auxiliary hospitals, war memorials, and even the rifle range on which the soldiers trained. Take a look at the first draft of a new walk by the authors of "Totley War Memorial WW1 1914-1918"
We wish to thank the Trustees of Cherrytree for giving us permission to publish transcriptions of the Cherrytree Orphanage Admissions Book entries for the years 1866-1929. There is also an alphabetical index for you to look at.
Our transcriptions of local trade directories have been expanded to cover the 95 years from 1837-1932 and have also been indexed. From the days when there were a handful of farmers, stone masons, saw handle makers & scythe grinders to the wonders of the Totley Bridge Garage Company, Betty's Boudoir and The Heatherfield Shopping Centre.
Totley Church of England Parish Magazines for the years 1922-1939 and 1948-1967 with notices of births, marriages and deaths and accounts of spiritual, educational, charitable and social matters in the village.
Around 90 photographs taken by Stuart Greenhoff for his thesis A Geographical Study of Dore and Totley including several of Totley Moor Brickworks. Superb!
Chronologically ordered snippets of information recorded by Brian Edwards during his many years of research into our local history.
Read the inscriptions on more than 700 gravestones in the churchyard.
Visitors since 24 Sep 2012: